Seeking A Locationless For 9/11 Memorials

Circum

Although locationless (reverse) caches have been on hold for a long time, I would like to see a special exception to start one for documenting Memorials of the lossses suffered in the 9/11 Attacks on America. Many communities have and are establishing such Memorial Sites and I feel collecting their locations with pictures and comments offers a unique opportunity to establish an unmatched historical record.

One memorial I fear may be lost is a field of Daffodils, planted as a memorial. There is no other marker except in the memories of those that are aware and some local newspaper archives.

Maybe, with enough support, this locationless could be started. Please comment…

Well, I'm generally lukewarm toward locationless caches. I've done a handful and just didn't find them all that challenging (well, chasing a yellow Jeep at 90 mph on the freeway to get a picture was quite a challenge...:huh:).

That said, I think this would be one of the few worthwhile and purposeful locationless caches. As someone who lost friends in the attacks, I suppose I have a vested interest in keeping their memories alive in whatever ways possible.

I am not a fan of locationless"caches", at all.I havn't ever done one and don't plan to.I think that could be the one exception though.I think it should be allowed.

Why would that be the only exception that should be allowed? What about the hundreds of children just killed in a terror act in Beslan? What about the dead Nepalese hostages and other civilian victims in the Gulf War II? Any war? What about the genocide in Rwanda? What about the detainees at Guantanamo Bay without POW rights? What about the millions starving to death in the third world countries? Where would be the convenient line to draw it?

You want to do this to keep the memory of it alive, but I highly doubt that any of us that have lived through it will be likely to forget it any time soon, and I doubt that anyone who didn't live thorough it will understand the impact of the cache.

I'll remember the looks on people's faces, talking to my friend when she couldn't locate her mother or her uncle (both NYC police), military fly-by's when they practiced nightime manuver's over my dorm room late at night. I don't need a cache to remind me.

And I'd much rather see one for a lot of other reasons before that. My father got spit on when he came home from Viet Nam. Maybe we should make amends about that, too, but I'm not going to go place a cache for it.

I don't need a cache to remind me.

Good.

Maybe we should make amends about that, too

Sorry about what happened to your Dad, but the topic of this thread is "Locationless for 9/11 Memorials."

but I'm not going to go place a cache for it.

That's your choice. I chose to put one there because it meant something to me. The topic of this thread is "Locationless for 9/11 Memorials."

I'm sorry the response has been underwhelming! Not much ammunition here to take to the powers that be to look for an exemption.

Frankly I am dissapointed at the lack of vision for the unique and far ranging capabilities offered by locationless caches. One of the defining qualities is subject matter that would be in a coffee table book. Here is a chance to create the book and a unique historical record at the same time. Where else is there a group with the capabilities to identify a local and often minimally publicised item on a theme, create and post images and record a precice location of that item for the world to see.

Thanks to all for the feedback!

Where else is there a group with the capabilities to identify a local and often minimally publicised item on a theme, create and post images and record a precice location of that item for the world to see.

waypoint.org

wayhoo.com

This is geocaching.com

cache

noun (plural cach·es)

1. hidden supply

2. secret place for hiding things

3. memory for frequently used data

transitive verb (past cached, past participle cached, present participle cach·ing, 3rd person present singular cach·es)

1. hide supply of things

2. hold data in cache

To quote Mopar, "Just because it's fun doesn't make it geocaching."

Jamie

Edited by Jamie Z