Brand New And Rarin' To Go!

G O Casher

:lol: So yesturday I decided to get into this hobby / sport. Thanks to this forum and manufacturers sites, I settled on the Etrex vista. I already have a Magellan Roadmate 700 in my car (which IMHO is EXCELLENT), so this unit is strictly for Geocaching fun. If anyone has an opinion they'd like to share regarding my pick, feel free to express it. I think I got a good deal on the unit from Gaylans Sporting. I paid $245, but I can return it if I made a major blunder, so don't be shy. I'd appreciate your thoughts.

I played with the unit while my wife drove us home (I know, I am a baby), and practiced a little in the neighborhood. So first thing in the AM, I go out for my first find. My approach will be to do a few finds before I start my own planting. Again, any thoughts are appreciated.

Thank you for helping me get started, and I am sure I will be bugging everyone for a while, but will be contributing as I get up to speed. :D

Welcome to the obsession :D . As far as your GPS choice, I use the vista and its a great little unit and will do the job nicely.

Its a very good idea to find a few before you start hiding. This way, you get a better feel of what makes a really good hide.

Once again, welcome to the GC community. Were glad your here :lol:

:lol: Hey everyone,

Thanks for the warm welcome and advice. I am looking forward to learning and sharing with all of you.

SixTen, They also had the Legend for $169, and I was considering it. I guess the extra $75 bucks seemed reasonable for the compass, altimeter and 24MB of memory vs 8MB in the Legend. I have read mixed feelings about if the compass will ever be used, and I doubt that the altimeter will ever be of any major use. But the extra memory if I decide to get any topo maps or anything is what I think pushed me toward the Vista.

Gaylans, where I bought it has a pretty good return policy. As long as you have the receipt, no time limit! So I have plenty of time to decide.

Would the $75 be better spent on a map CD. If so, would topo be my best bet?

Thanks again. :D

Welcome to the obsession!

With statements like this you'll fit right in here.

I played with the unit while my wife drove us home...

:lol::D

I just sold my Magellan SporTrak Color to get a Garmin 60 CS. I was getting too frustrated with the maggie's tendency to "drag". I would sometime walk as much as 100 feet past my WP before the GPS would catch up to itself and I would have to backtrack. I have an eTrex Yellow as a back up unit and never have that problem. I think you'll be very happy with that GPS. I know plenty of people who use the very same one.

Best of luck to you!! :D

Edited by JMBella
I would return it if I were you...

check out the Garmin Etrex Vista GPS System for $169.98 There is also a link for an on-line coupon that will save you an additional $20

Hold it! Check it out carefully. Something is wrong. The same add has the Legend for $199, and actually $245 for a Vista isn't bad. It's possibly a "class 1 item" designed to take a loss to draw people in, but I rather think it may prove to be a mistake....and then again, maybe you can hold them to the advertized price.

Edited by Robespierre

Thanks SixTen & Robespierre,

I was going to order the Vista online, and return the one I purchased (hey, $75 in my pocket), but I did notice as you indicated, the same site lists the Vista for $199. Upon further investigation, I noticed that the product item numbers and style numbers were different. I suspect that if I ordered it, I would probably receive the Legend. I could hold them to the add as you said, but the back and forth shipping, phone calls, etc. would be a pain in the GPS.

Thanks again to both of you for lookin' out for me.

:D:D:lol:

I would return it if I were you...

check out the Garmin Etrex Vista GPS System for $169.98 There is also a link for an on-line coupon that will save you an additional $20

Hold it! Check it out carefully. Something is wrong. The same add has the Legend for $199, and actually $245 for a Vista isn't bad. It's possibly a "class 1 item" designed to take a loss to draw people in, but I rather think it may prove to be a mistake....and then again, maybe you can hold them to the advertized price.

I thought it was a mistake too. I ordered one anyway, after seeing it discussed in the Garage Sale fourm, and it was delivered in three days, at that very low price. (No charge for shipping either!)

I think it was a mistake, and then they made a second mistake when attempting to correct it: at the time that I ordered it, the were selling the Legend and the Vista both for $169.98. After a couple of days, they raised the price of the Legend to $199.98, while leacing the Vista at the lower price. I'd guess that they meant to bump up the Vista's price but made a mistake.