Question Re Gsak

Fangsy

I downloaded GSAK earlier and have been trying to find my way around it. I had previously download all the waypoints of the nearest 160 caches to me as 8 seperate .loc files, and loaded them all into the GSAK database.

Main querry at the moment is, How do I get GSAK to update the cache details because it is showing them all as Mystery Caches, and has no correct information Re Terrain and Difficulty etc. The split screen view of any cache says:

"Details are from the offline database last updated on 03/09/04" which is when I loaded it. Can I make it get details from online and update itself? Clicking on the link to view up to date details just loads the gc.com page for that cache in the split pane.

Thanks in advance!

I'm sure that someone more knowledgeable will come up with the answers.. However, we download everyhting as GPX files (from Pocket Queries). When these are loaded into GSAK just about all the info about the caches appears. Then, by clicking a particular cache, you can view an off-line web page of the cache. Clicking the link at the top of the page then displays the actual GC.COM page of the cache, but I don't think GSAK updates unless you download a fresh set of GPX files.

Incidentally, I'm a registered user of GSAK and just received the latest update - fantastic piece of software.

Hope this helps

LOC files contain minimal info while GPX files contain a ton of info. If you want to change the icon for a cache, you can right click it, select edit and there you can change the type of cache. You can also enter in other info into that screen if you want since the LOC file doesn't populate a lot of that info.

There's no direct interaction between GSAK and Geocaching.com, at least yet. Gecocaching.com has talked about providing a way for apps like GSAK to communicate with the site, but it doesn't exist yet.

If you want GSAK to show full information about caches, you have to feed it a .gpx file, rather than a .loc file. You have two options:

i) Become a premium member and set up "Pocket Queries". You can run up to 5 queries per day, and the .gpx file will be emailed to you. As a premium member, you can also easily download a .gpx file for a single cache directly from the cache details webpage.

ii) Use GeoToad to create a .gpx file from the GC.com web pages. This is free, but using it contravenes section 5 of the Groundspeak Terms of Use.

Personally, I chose option i and will continue to do so.

Thank you all.

So basicaly if I just make a small payment to upgrade to premium member I can get the 'full fat 4-star' GPX downloads with all the extra info that GSAK can show. And then export the database into a cachemate file which will be running on my Palm IIIxe which should arrive some time on monday.

I'm sure I'll have something else to enquire about soon enough. :rolleyes:

Having fun here! :o

Thank you all.

So basicaly if I just make a small payment to upgrade to premium member I can get the 'full fat 4-star' GPX downloads with all the extra info that GSAK can show. And then export the database into a cachemate file which will be running on my Palm IIIxe which should arrive some time on monday.

I'm sure I'll have something else to enquire about soon enough. :rolleyes:

Having fun here! :o

Yes, make that small payment, worth every penny IMHO.

You get pocket queries. I.e. the ability to set up a number of searches that you can define and save on line, run at anytime and view the results on screen or have e-mailed to you on a regular basis.

As you say, you can then refine the filter and use cachemate to carry around the cache pages. Also upload the waypoints to GPSr.

I got myself a Palm IIIxe simply for running Cachemate so that I could join the paperless caching crowd. A recent exped to N Yorkshire with a mound of printouts (my first mass pre-prep of a whole 15 caches) resulted in a vehicle full of sheets of A4 all over the place.

Now the Palm is full of other stuff - all the birthdays, reminders, to-dos (get Re-do to post recurrent To-do like MOTs etc) and all sort of other diversions. I ended up getting one for Sue and daughter Louise (another gadget fiend) and we are ditching our old Sharp organisers that have served us so well.

Caching!? I simply wouldn't leave home without it. Whenever I am called to some obscure part of the UK or the world, I punch in a quick pocket query and dump the wad of caches into the palm. Super!

...I'd love a colour one - but the Palms don't do Memory-Map!!!! Drat!!!

...but unfortunately we're forked!

We are already committed with Memory-Map on one hand and Palm stuff on the other.

Sometime in the future, when I get a trip to the States, we will probably go Pocket PC just to be able to use MM.

The Palm IIIxe option is dirt-cheap via eBay (though I think that other Geo-geeks have been snapping them up) even when couple with the two essential shareware packages GSAK and Cachemate.

I snagged my last Palm from Germany via eBay. It came with a leather case, a spare serial lead and all the bits for a whole €17 - £11.

Edited by Sue & Bernie
Thank you all.

I'm sure I'll have something else to enquire about soon enough. :D

Having fun here! :lol:

I don't think you'll regret it...

GPX pocket queries + GSAK + Chris & Maria's Waypoint Workbench + MemoryMap + Cachemate + Garmin iQue 3600 is an awesome combination !!!! :D:D

Oh yes... if you're happy with GSAK, you might consider registering that as well. Clyde has done a magnificent job with the latest version. Registered users have it already and it should be on 'general release' soon. Watch out for it !!

I have indeed paid to be a premium member now, and have been enjoying the new pocket querry screen, already received first batch result... and as I am typing this post the postman just arrived with my PalmIIIxe.. eee *rips box open*

There is a disk, a Com-interface stand, 2 batteries (YAY!) and stylus. Just setting it up now.

I'm such a gadeget geek! :D:D

... watch this space. :D