Etrex Charger

Looks good - how does it respond to immersion/wetness? I like not having to worry about keeping my Legend dry.

Great question, and I am planning on running a little test for that. I just need to be careful that I do not ruin the GPSr while testing this little guy.

What else do Etrex users want to hear feedback on?

You can always keep the original battery cover for use when caching. I power my Legend in the cachemobile with a PDA charger that plugs into the cigarette lighter and has a USB port in the back, and a cable I made up that powers both my GPS and Palm from that port. This doesn't charge the batteries, though.

Looks good - how does it respond to immersion/wetness? I like not having to worry about keeping my Legend dry.

The "test unit" arrived today. I was pleasantly surprised to find a waterproof gasket in the kit. The new "charging back" screws onto the unit, so I think it will do well when I dunk it for 5 minutes tomorrow. :P

Can't tell in the pics, does this cover include the little tab that's on the replacement cover Garmin uses for all their various Etrex mounts?

If you are asking about the, I call it the "pin", pin that attaches the cover to the GPS, then No. They use a screw that fits the thread pitch that the "pin" usually goes into inside the battery tray.

I will try to post a picture of this, *if* I can post it on the web somewhere, then in the forum.

Hope this answered your question Mopar.

PS

The "dunk test" has been postponed due to a busier than expected day at the "office".

Hope this answered your question Mopar.

Sorry, no. Let me show you. All the various Garmin Etrex mounts (car. bike, etc) use a replacement battery cover that works with the mount. It's only slightly different, and it's no biggie to leave the replacement back on all the time, and then it's (literally) a snap to go from hand to car to bike.

bf3361e8-a6dd-4dd6-b62e-b8de063e5dec.jpg

Without that little tab on the cover to the right, you will constantly have to change battery covers if you want to use your Garmin mount, negating the usefulness.

I'm not sure how RAM and other brands attach to the Etrex, so I don't know if the charging cover effects them too.

Ok, and thanks, Mopar.

No, this "charging cover" does not have the "tab".

Hemlock,

I am not hear to try and sell these things, or convince people of their usefulness. Some people do not see the usefulness of rechargeable batteries; some do not see the usefulness of searching for containers in the woods. The company sent a unit to me to "field test" and write a review. So I am here on the board asking other Etrex users, "What is important to them"

I fail to understand the usefulness of this product. Why not just get a universal charger that will not only charge the batteries in my GPS, but also the ones in my PDA, flashlight, and walkman? And the universal chargers are less expensive, too!

Like Hemlock, I don't understand why one would need this product.

You can get 2 AA rechargable batteries and a charger for less than $10 on eBay.

You can then use those AA batteries in any product that uses that size battery.

Seems like a lot of money for a very specialized product.

Whats important? Universal application. Cheap price.

Ed

The Badge & The Butterfly

Edited by The Badge & the Butterfly
I fail to understand the usefulness of this product. Why not just get a universal charger that will not only charge the batteries in my GPS, but also the ones in my PDA, flashlight, and walkman? And the universal chargers are less expensive, too!

Ed

Ed,

I am not hear to try and sell these things, or convince people of their usefulness. Some people do not see the usefulness of rechargeable batteries; some do not see the usefulness of searching for containers in the woods. The company sent a unit to me to "field test" and write a review.

So I am here on the board asking other Etrex users, "What is important to them"

Please stay on topic

I find myself opening the battery door quite often to change batteries, and to carry extras that are hopefully charged. I had wanted one of these for sometime, because I hate having to pop open the battery compartment all the time. Now if this Charging unit was $25 instead of $60, that would be even better.

I think that something like this is perfect with a photovoltaic charging pannel, to keep the extrex GPS topped off, when at camp.

So I am here on the board asking other Etrex users, "What is important to them"

• Compatibility with all my other accessories. We have 3 Garmins in the house, with mounts on 4 different vehicles. the convenience of having the built in charger is lost if I have to give all that up.

• Water Resistance. Ours get used on canoes, and waverunners. I don't want the GPS or the $60 charger croaking because some water got into that plug in the back.

• Convenience. Seems to me a much better way would be a pair of contacts mounted on the bottom and have it drop into a charging base like most rechargeable radios. This would also allow a better water seal, since you wouldn't have a jack to let water in.

[EDIT] One other suggestion, besides making it drop-in rechargeable. Design the charger so it uses the OEM battery cover. That should lower the production costs somewhat and allow you to retain compatibility with Garmin brand mounts.

Edited by Mopar
Your 4 points are GREAT Mopar. Thanks for the input.

Like I said, I am not here “repping” this unit, or trying to sell it, I am just running some field tests for the manufacturers who are also very interested in hearing "everyday users" input.

Like I said, I am not here “repping” this unit, or trying to sell it, I am just running some field tests for the manufacturers who are also very interested in hearing "everyday users" input.

That's what you keep saying...

I was very on topic, stating my view of the product and then stated "what is important to me" as you requested.

Ed

Ed

1) Universal application:

Some people, not all, would consider the fact that with this One back you can use the unit in the home and in the car, while charging the batteries in the unit at the same time, eliminating the need to purchase a charger, a 12 volt power cord, 110 power cord, 12V PC data combo cable, 2 sets of rechargeable batteries, oh not to mention it also includes a swivel belt clip.

2) Cheap price:

$60.00 for

12v power

110-power supply

Swivel belt clip

12 volt NiMH charger

110 volt NiMH charger

2 NiMH Batteries 2100 Mah

Use the GPS in the car, or at home, while charging the batteries in the unit at the same time.

Not have to purchase the $32.00 combo cable because you can use the data cable that came with the GPSr at the same time you are powering and charging.

Now lets pretend you need to power the GPSr, and a separate 12V charger for you extra batteries, hmm if you only have 1 cig. Adapter in the car you now have to pay more money to purchase a "pig-tail".

So lets see here:

$31.98 12v power/PC data combo cable Garmin part# 010-10268-00

$15.00 cheap estimate for 4 NiMH Batteries, 12 volt and 110 volt cords and charger

$13.57 swivel belt clip. Garmin part #010-10349-00

Total = $60.55 and this DOES NOT include the 110 power supply cord for using the unit at home and not using the batteries.

110-power cable is not available

Is this a cure all, one size fits all application? NOPE, but there is a market for a device such as this, but that market does not include every Etrex owner.

2 GREAT ideas Ed. Thanks for the input, sorry I misunderstood your post.

Cherokeecacher - I am quite interested to know the results of your tests on this unit. Was it easy to use? How water-resistant/-proof did it prove to be? How well did it charge the batteries? How comfortable was it to carry when out 'caching?

Regardless of some of the posts above, I see this product (maybe when it's a bit cheaper) being a possible option to ensure that I am never out of power when in the field (I'd always carry a couple of spare AAs, but this would help to ensure that everytime I left the car/house I'd know that the batteries were 100% charged.

Thanks for bringing this back to the top. I must admit that I have not had much time to work with this device yet. I recently found myself looking for an employment opportunity, and this has derailed many projects.

I can report that the “advertised” charging abilities have been accurate and a benefit. Being able to charge the batteries in the unit and use it at the same time while in the car has been great.

The “waterproof test” has not been performed yet. On my list of things to do this week, is, “contact the manufacturer and ask if they claim it keeps its original factory waterproof rating”? If the manufacturer does not claim that it does, I am not wasting my time dunking it to find out, then have to replace the GPSr. LOL

Do they have plans to sell each component as a separate part?

Charging Back -- what if you have more than one eTrex?

Car Adapter -- one for each car.

Wall Adapter -- one for home and one for the office.

There are any number of reasons why someone would want an extra component or two without having to purchase the entire system for just one part. What if you lose or damage one of the components?

I personally wouldn't use this device because my eTrex is strictly a backup unit; but I do see it's usefulness for those who use an eTrex as their primary GPSr.

tm

Just thought some of you folks might find this interesting...

I (personally) see some value in this product, generally speaking, so I enquired about the availability of a unit for the GPSMap 76C(S) and this is what I received from Jonathan Reni at Enoch Corporation:

"We will definately expand to other models as soon as our current model takes off.

We're currently redesigning the back to make it compatible with all Garmin Accessories. The new design for the eTrex charger back and also our eTrex C Charger backs should be available by mid-October. If the response is as we anticipate, we should have a product ready for the GPS Map 76C series

by the end of November. --We also plan to have Solar accessories available by January."

-Mike

Just thought some of you folks might find this interesting...

I (personally) see some value in this product, generally speaking, so I enquired about the availability of a unit for the GPSMap 76C(S) and this is what I received from Jonathan Reni at Enoch Corporation:

"We will definately expand to other models as soon as our current model takes off.

We're currently redesigning the back to make it compatible with all Garmin Accessories. The new design for the eTrex charger back and also our eTrex C Charger backs should be available by mid-October. If the response is as we anticipate, we should have a product ready for the GPS Map 76C series

by the end of November. --We also plan to have Solar accessories available by January."

-Mike

Sounds about right. Jonathan, and his crew, are really on top of things.

To Mopar,

Thanks for the strong input about "compatibility". See what happened B)

I don't think the thing will be waterproof, and I don't think that's a big problem, since Garmin says that the eTrex series battery compartment isn't waterproof. If the battery compartment isn't waterproof now, it won't be with a new cover, either. The stock battery compartment cover is only a little water-resistant, not waterproof. Garmin says you'll likely get water in there if the unit is submerged.

I like the idea the only thing I'd like to see is what Mopar stated, that the case can be used with the bike mount and car mount so you don't have to keep chaning backs. As well as long as its water proof all is good with the plug. Although the drop in charger would be good for home I see its use limited in car do to the movment of car.

I don't think the thing will be waterproof, and I don't think that's a big problem, since Garmin says that the eTrex series battery compartment isn't waterproof. If the battery compartment isn't waterproof now, it won't be with a new cover, either. The stock battery compartment cover is only a little water-resistant, not waterproof. Garmin says you'll likely get water in there if the unit is submerged.

Fair point, but then again, the standard Garmin cover doesn't contain (in and of itself) any electronics - it's just a plastic/rubber cover for the batteries.

My concern would be that I night dunk the eTrex and, instead of writing off $<1 of batteries I have killed $60 worth of charger.

Realistically, for covers like this to be widely accepted they need to:

- Be compatible with all holders/cradles provided by the manufacturer

- Be waterproof/waterresistant to the same degree as the actual unit (in the eTrex case - waterproof) - if the unit itself is cactus losing the charger with it is no big deal.

I'd almost like to see Garmin change their units so that when connected to an external power source (car or mains) the batteries are bypassed and the unit is powered by that power source AND the batteries are charged at the same time. Alot of CB radios, etc have this functionality, normally with a small switch in the battery bay that says "NiMH"/"Alc"...