Caching Events & Your Dog

Shop99er

I am starting to think I want to have a Geo-Event next summer. I've been scouting some local parks for a good spot and have found one. It's perfect! There's shelter, bathrooms, running water, fire pit, electricity, lots of parking...BUT... this park doesn't allow dogs.

What do you think? Would you be less inclined to attend a caching event if you could't bring your dog?

My thinking is that more people might come from further away and make a weekend of caching in my area if they could attend an event and bag some caches. However if they'll have to leave their geodoggies at home or, worse, in the truck I don't think they'd be as interested in the event.

What do you all think? Dogs or no dogs?

Shop99er

It is the park that the Cootie Cache is in. It seems to have everything we'd need but the no dogs rule just about knocks it off the list. I'm going to call to see if we can get around that rule somehow. I'll keep everyone posted.

It wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me.

At the event in Kitsap that I had last summer there were only 2 dogs - mine and Tanda's.

People need to recognize that not all of us want to be around dogs.  We recently did a little scuba weekend and of course the divers just had to have their stupid dogs there.  It ruined it for lots of us.

Leave your dogs home.

Naturally each situation is going to be different, and I personally don't agree with allowing the animals to roam about uncontrolled... and if I was scuba diving, I guess that would be the case.

However, IF that's the kind of reception I would receive because I choose to bring my dog along, I would just as soon stay away from the event too. :ph34r:

I don't care what park is chosen, I choose to stay away from people who have a problem with me bringing my dog because you never know how they'll treat the animal.

Edited by TotemLake
It is the park that the Cootie Cache is in. It seems to have everything we'd need but the no dogs rule just about knocks it off the list. I'm going to call to see if we can get around that rule somehow. I'll keep everyone posted.

Whatever you choose will be fine. I'm sure folks will have a good time.

I'm not really a dog person myself (I love animals, but I'm allergic!), but TotemLake, your dog was really well-behaved the one time I saw him. He acted just like one of the people. :rolleyes: I didn't mind him one bit!

I see the other side of the fence, though. There are dog owners whom I've visited in the past (NOT geocachers! :)) whose 80-100 pound dogs jump all over me and lick me. Great, for some reason typing that made me sneeze! :rolleyes: Dogs and children can all be obnoxious unless they're trained to behave, though.

To make this more on-topic, most of the cachers I've met that have dogs do train them to behave and restrain them around other people, though, so although I'm not a big dog person, having an event with dogs allowed wouldn't scare me off one bit. Having an event with "no kids allowed" would probably be a dealbreaker for me! :)

It all depends on the situation. At a city park, or in about any group of people in public, such as a Event Cache, I will have my dog on a leash. I don't want him bothering anyone any more than they want to be bothered.

For instance this weekend at the national forest group hike I kept him on his leash until everyone assured me that dogs don't bother them.

I'm sorry that some owners let their dogs ruin things for people like Lazyboy, because that just leads to restrictions on dogs. Like at this park we're talking about. (It all comes back full circle.)

I'm not really a dog person myself (I love animals, but I'm allergic!), but TotemLake, your dog was really well-behaved the one time I saw him. He acted just like one of the people. :) I didn't mind him one bit!

I see the other side of the fence, though. There are dog owners whom I've visited in the past (NOT geocachers! :)) whose 80-100 pound dogs jump all over me and lick me. Great, for some reason typing that made me sneeze! :rolleyes: Dogs and children can all be obnoxious unless they're trained to behave, though.

To make this more on-topic, most of the cachers I've met that have dogs do train them to behave and restrain them around other people, though, so although I'm not a big dog person, having an event with dogs allowed wouldn't scare me off one bit. Having an event with "no kids allowed" would probably be a dealbreaker for me! :)

NR, Thank you for your kind words. I treat Snickers! like a member of the family. That is, he is disciplined for rude behavior the same way my child was disciplined. I do see the other side of the fence and completely understand it. I have a brother whose dog is fearfully over friendly when I visit. But it is this statement

and of course the divers just had to have their stupid dogs there
that generalizes pet owners and their pets which bothered me. There is a less objectionable way to put it. That's like saying all parents are bad because of their stupid children. I've seen some kids that would rightfully belong in an enclosure for the safety of themselves and the people around them. It is like you said, it all comes down to their training.

BTW, sorry you had such an allergic reaction to this discussion. Yikes! Could that be your Pavlov's bell now? :rolleyes: j/k

Fwiw, I try to be sensitive around people who may not be dog lovers; particularly of BIG dogs because of the reputation such breeds have. Snickers! is just a big 7 year old puppy that knows what is expected of him to keep me happy.

Anyway, Shop99er, I don't presume to try to dictate what park to choose for your event. Go after whichever one works best for you and the people you hope to have join you. You can't make everybody happy so I wouldn't fret much over it. Like I said before, I'm sure folks will have a lot of fun.

Some people have kids, some people have dogs, some people have cats and some people have a mixture. To a lot of us they are all family and if family is not welcome then my family is happy to seek other company.

Snickers for example is better behaved and less problem than most kids. If he is to be excluded as being a problem, then I wonder about the kids?

TotemLake said: I treat Snickers! like a member of the family. That is, he is disciplined for rude behavior the same way my child was disciplined.

The best-behaved dogs seem to come from an environment where they're treated that way. Definitely not fair to generalize all dogs and dog owners!

BTW, sorry you had such an allergic reaction to this discussion. Yikes! Could that be your Pavlov's bell now?  j/k

I hope not! I don't think there's an over-the-counter medicine to fix that! :rolleyes:

Runhills said: Snickers for example is better behaved and less problem than most kids. If he is to be excluded as being a problem, then I wonder about the kids?

Exactly. Especially my son, who informed me this morning that my hair smells like chicken! (It doesn't, for the record!!!) :rolleyes: If I can bring that crazy child out in public, then I daresay a well-behaved dog ought to be able to come, too. :)

What do you think? Would you be less inclined to attend a caching event if you could't bring your dog?

What do you all think? Dogs or no dogs?

Shop99er

Question 1 - I think it's fine to have an event in a park that doesn't allow dogs.

Question 2 - Yes, I would be less inclined to attend an event if Mayday can't come

too. In fact, for me, geocaching without her won't happen.

Question 3 - Dogs, by all means, dogs !

I guess it just matters what you would enjoy most. If you are hosting the event, then host it where and how you'd like and consider who you'd like to attend. Some folks won't mind leaving dog pal at home, particularly ( hopefully ) if pal is not well behaved in groups. Others like myself will pass. So in chosing this park you will certainly exclude some - but if that's ok because you really like the park - have a great time and don't worry about it !!

Did a little checking and here's what I found...

Jorstad Park, which is perfect but doesn't allow dogs is booked up for the entire summer so it's a moot point this year. I was told that I could talk to the council who runs that park and ask for a waiver on the dog issue. I will try that route for an '05 summer event and see how far I get.

The Mrs (who ironically is from Oregon and I have nicknamed her 'Cranky') and I are thinking about an end of summer luau at Harper Park. There are no electric hook-ups, no running water and only a port-a-potty but there's a covered eating area, nice hiking trails with 3 caches in within a short walk and it's shaded in the afternoon. We are going to iron out the details within the next couple of days and, if we think we can pull it off we'll shoot for the second weekend of September.

It will be a dog and kid friendly event. How does that sound?

People need to recognize that not all of us want to be around dogs.

Sure. I have no probelm with people feeling free to stay the f* away from me and my dog.

By the same ticket, I'll stay away from cranky Oregonians that I feel will ruin my time.

Please feel free to stay away from me. Not a problem at all. I have stepped in enough dog crap in parks to last me a lifetime. Yeah, I know, you pick up after your dog, must be the other guy that doesn't.

I own 3 dogs of my own. I don't impose my dogs on other people. I leave them home where they belong or take them off into the woods where people won't step in their crap or where their barking won't drive anyone nuts.

Did a little checking and here's what I found...

Jorstad Park, which is perfect but doesn't allow dogs is booked up for the entire summer so it's a moot point this year. I was told that I could talk to the council who runs that park and ask for a waiver on the dog issue. I will try that route for an '05 summer event and see how far I get.

The Mrs (who ironically is from Oregon and I have nicknamed her 'Cranky') and I are thinking about an end of summer luau at Harper Park. There are no electric hook-ups, no running water and only a port-a-potty but there's a covered eating area, nice hiking trails with 3 caches in within a short walk and it's shaded in the afternoon. We are going to iron out the details within the next couple of days and, if we think we can pull it off we'll shoot for the second weekend of September.

It will be a dog and kid friendly event. How does that sound?

If my questionable work schedule allows for it, you'll see Snickers! at my side attending. He loves playing with the kids. Keep away is his favorite game.

It didn't dawn on me what the 11th was...it's the anniversary date of the terrorist attacks. DOH! Does anyone think it's bad taste to hold a luau on that day? Or is it time to remember but move on?

I think it would be in bad taste if you made us eat poi.

I think having a luau on September 11 is perfectly ok.

It didn't dawn on me what the 11th was...it's the anniversary date of the terrorist attacks. DOH! Does anyone think it's bad taste to hold a luau on that day? Or is it time to remember but move on?

That day's fine. In fact that day is great. I think Americans should always go do something they enjoy that day if only to demonstrate we won't be intimidated like the Spanish.

I won't be able to come that day because that's the day I have permits for climbing Mt. St. Helens, but if you're going wild and late maybe I can swing by after. :rolleyes:

We have a lab but we only take her out on the longer hikes where we don't see many people. She tends to think she's a lap dog. If we were to go to an event we wouldn't dream of bringing her, she's more trouble than our kids. :rolleyes:

We'd love to come but our kids have their first soccer game of the season that day. We haven't got the schedule with the times yet but maybe we can swing down there after the game.

By the way, I don't think there's anything wrong with having the event on 9/11, I believe we should always remember what happened, but also to continue on with our lives.

Just so's everyone's clear on how Cranky and I stand on dogs......

As a general rule, we like them more than we do most of the people we've met. Naturally, there are some dogs that one or the other of us just coulcn't stand, but that's also true of some of the humans that we have dealt with over the years. It all comes down to training........

So, the bottom line is, wherever we have an event this year, or next, rest assured that your dogs are every bit as welcome as you are. For the one next year, we will have to get a waiver. If, for some reason, you just can't stand to be around dogs, then, I'm sorry to say, this will not be something you'll enjoy :o

As Cranky alluded to, we are planning (hoping) to host one on the 11th. If, for some reason, we can't, I'll post a notice here. Since the County parks close at sunset, I hope that those with daytime commitments can make it in time.

As soon as we can get the details ironed out, I'll get the info to the reviewers. We are looking forward to meeting you-all B)

Edited by Shop99er

Shop99er and Cranky,

Thanks, I feel better! You asked for opinions and some took that as an invite to tell others how to act.

Generally a dog problem is a reflection of the training. Some of us put a lot of time in with our canine pets to assure that they are not a problem. If anybody ever has an issue with me or my family AFTER meeting them, I hope they are willing and open to discuss the issue. To be excluded because others do not put the required time in to make socially acceptable pets sort of raised the hackles on the back of my neck. I shouldn't let it get to me but family is family!

Based on your response, I sure would like to make your event. It may not work out but at least I am looking forward to the day when we do get a chance to meet you.

runhills