What Is An Event Cache?

lowracer

What is an Event Cache exactly? I've read the guidelines and even posted a few successful events in my day, but I've been thinking about it lately. The event cache is an odd bird, wouldn't you agree?

It's not a container hidden in the woods. There's really no requirement for a logbook to sign either. There are coordinates, yes, but none of the other things we associate with a geocache. There usually isn't any swag, not like we think of it, but travelbugs are common. There's no 528 foot rule, and they're specifically designed to be not permanent. Yet you still get a smiley if you attended, and in most areas, it's common practice to log a smiley on your OWN event if you went to it.

So what is the purpose of the event cache? From the guidelines: "Event caches are gatherings for geocachers by geocachers to discuss geocaching." And paraphrased: The primary focus of these events is geocaching and the primary attendees are geocachers.

-Is it for local geocaching groups to hold official club meetings during which club business and serious geocaching topics may be discussed, such as land use policies?

-Is it a picnic where cachers gather to talk about caching and maybe hunt some temporary caches or play geo-games placed specifically for the event, mainly to have fun together?

-We know the purpose can't be to arrange a meeting for the sole purpose of finding a cache or caches (unless you specifically call it a "cache machine" in which case --well, you can). But can an event cache be held strictly for the purpose of *planting* one or more caches, either singly or as a group?

-What about birthdays and holidays? Is an event cache an acceptable way to celebrate special occasions by gathering cachers together? The focus of the event there would be on celebrating the holiday or birthday, not on geocaching per se.

How about some examples of events?

Can you hold one at a commercial shooting range, if you talk about caching between shots?

What if you held it at a bowling alley, and you get to bowl while talking about geocaching?

What about an event at a restaurant or bar, and you talk about caching between mouthfuls or swigs (but never talking with your mouth full)?

Could it be held in a swimming pool or lake? Could you discuss caching while treading water?

What if you held an event where you rented a big boat and partied on the lake? What if you drove the boat around to all the caches hidden near the shore and let people find them?

What about the commercial aspects of event caches?

You probably couldn't place an ammo can inside a restaurant, bar, bowling alley, shooting range, or other commercial enterprise without some serious 'splainin to do before it would get approved. But event caches are routinely held there, and especially with the purpose to consume the beverages or food, to knock down the pins, or to punch holes in the targets. That's kinda weird. So it seems that events can sometimes be commercial.

Let's talk event caches. What works, what doesn't. What does it all mean? What is the spirit of the event cache? What kinds of events have you seen that went off really well?

HAlloween II - Witches Cove Trail was a very fun event. The event organizer hid a cache and didn't release the coordinates until 8PM on Halloween. The site was decorated in the traditional Halloween fashion. There was even a tape recorder playing spooky music.

Spring Forward Gemoeet was held the Sunday in which we turned our clocks forward an hour (thus the name). There were games, event caches and drawing for prizes. The best part of all was getting to meet fellow cachers.

Wings, Beer & Yellow Jeeps was organized as way to distribute YJTB's to cachers in the area. Everybody met a restaurant and we just socialized, ate wings, drank beer and collected Yellow Jeeps.

I could cite numerous other examples, but these few show that, just like caches, the only limit to what can make a great even is your own imagination.

Talk to Team GPSSaxaphone. He's organized/attended some really good ones (at least according to him) <_<

I was just at one of his. It was GREAT! :huh:

I must admit that I'm fond of the smaller more intimate events. A nice relaxing setting and a handful of geocachers being what we are, is the BEST.

We have fairly large events here in S.E. Texas, but they dwindle down to the "Die Hard" few around midnight. That's my favorite part of events, besides meeting new geocachers. We always KNOW when we've hooked another regular when they are still there after most everyone else is gone. It's not unusual for our events to go until 4AM and later.

SNOOGAV.jpg

There's really no requirement for a logbook to sign either.

I have a log book at the events that *I* host. I just title another page with the name and date of the event. All of my hosted events are in one book so far.

GPSax is the first other person that I have seen do this.

SNOOGAV.jpg