Cash To Burn On Your Caches...

every time i look through this one catalog, i always come across this one product, and every time i see it, i think to myself, man, that would make a really interesting thing to put AT a cache... you could say in the clue to "look for something that doesnt belong... it'll look back" or something really clever, and just go nuts with it...

if i had money to burn, i'd get a set of these things and make a funny cache with it.

if you had money to burn, and wanted to put something AT or AROUND your cache (not in it), what would you do? any fancy decor? more camo? buy a whole fake tree to stash it in? links to pages are welcome.

I'd buy a parcel of land, and build a small road with a series of gates.... Each gate, you have to find a cache to figure out how to open it. Maybe one gate you need a keycard, another you need a passcode, and another you just need a key...

But to be realistic, I'd probably want to hide a ten gallon drum, hide it really well, and glue a tupperware or ammo can on top of it. Then, people looking, see the ammo can, think it's the cache, and they unhide the ammo can, and they can't pull it out cause it's attached to the real cache!

Then, people looking, see the ammo can, think it's the cache, and they unhide the ammo can, and they can't pull it out cause it's attached to the real cache!

already off-topic... at one local golf course, the owners glued a golf ball to a cement brick and buried the brick with the golf ball showing in the bottom of a stream, then they watch people try to fish it out with no luck.

ON TOPIC!!! uh... buying a parcel of land... hm... it might go against rules or normal conventions, but it would be interesting to actually see a cache buried... i mean, geocaching is like looking for buried treasure... just in an unburied state. to see one buried would be different.

If you look hard enough, it may be possible to find a naturally occuring hole that just happens to be a perfect fit for your cache container. I've seen several where the owner just happened to find a hole in the ground which, by sheer coincidence I'm sure, was in an ideal spot for cache-hiding, and was exactly as deep and as big around as the 5-gallon bucket or ammo can they used for the cache container. :smile:

I would have a very large, remote, isolated valley, the "walls" of which would keep the bear, moose, and wolves in, plus fence in some places. Caching would be free, and the deposit returned when all conditions were met. Caching would be by reservation, and limited to a small number. There would be fenced "safe areas," for camping by tent, and no one would be alone, for safety. :smile:

where can you even get five gallon containers anymore? (empty ones? or full ones for that matter... i havent seen them for a while...)

(and i was referring to myself being off-topic with the golf ball story. dont worry, you were on topic.)

Places like Home Depot sell them empty with the lids.

where can you even get five gallon containers anymore? (empty ones? or full ones for that matter... i havent seen them for a while...)

(and i was referring to myself being off-topic with the golf ball story. dont worry, you were on topic.)

Places like Home Depot sell them empty with the lids.

Good thing about those is that they've always been empty, and have never been near food. Lots of 5-gallon buckets are available for the asking, provided you do your asking in the right places, but they are often from food service applications, where you might have a hard time de-scenting them.

I'd have another idea for the "money to burn" topic, but I'm in the process of burning a small amount of money on it, and don't want to ruin the surprise.

(I can't afford to burn much, but it's an intriguing idea and I have to see if I can do it)

I'd buy a parcel of land, and build a small road with a series of gates.... Each gate, you have to find a cache to figure out how to open it. Maybe one gate you need a keycard, another you need a passcode, and another you just need a key...

But to be realistic, I'd probably want to hide a ten gallon drum, hide it really well, and glue a tupperware or ammo can on top of it. Then, people looking, see the ammo can, think it's the cache, and they unhide the ammo can, and they can't pull it out cause it's attached to the real cache!

I figured there would be some traffic cones in that story :huh:

I live in a ground floor apartment, and I am toying with the idea of placing a cache on my patio with a live web cam pointed at it at all times.

The cache will be called "Smile, Your On Caching Camera"

Edited by WH

I would create the Über Cache! It would be a large cache, I'm talkin' like, 50 gallon drum here. The container would have a number of combo locks built-in. It would also have a auto play message that would greet finders and ask them to log their find via both log book and the built in video camera. These videos would then be put on the Über Cache web site for all to see.

I would fill it with the best items money could buy. A few new Garmin GPSmap 60C units, some eTrex Legends, map software, $200 gift certificates for various stores (Media Play, Best Buy, Cabelas, etc), portable DVD players, DVD's, gold jewelry, valuable coins, Game Boy's, games for Game Cube and X Box and PS2, digital cameras, and so on.

I would buy a piece of land to place it on, maybe out in the desert between Salt Lake City and Wendover, or maybe in the Uinta Mountains. Then I would make it a multi cache with clues placed throughout the Salt Lake Valley, some in urban micros and some in more challenging caches. In each leg on the multi you would find the coordinates for the nest micro, as well as a combonations for the various locks. You'd have to find all the micros to get all the combonations to open the final cache.

The final cache would be placed such that you'd need to suffer a little to get to it, maybe a 4/4 or 5/5.

Of course I'll have to wait until I win the Power Ball lottery. :huh:

I'd buy a parcel of land, and build a small road with a series of gates....  Each gate, you have to find a cache to figure out how to open it.  Maybe one gate you need a keycard, another you need a passcode, and another you just need a key...

But to be realistic, I'd probably want to hide a ten gallon drum, hide it really well, and glue a tupperware or ammo can on top of it.  Then, people looking, see the ammo can, think it's the cache, and they unhide the ammo can, and they can't pull it out cause it's attached to the real cache!

I figured there would be some traffic cones in that story :huh:

Actually, one of the ideas is to have a large road block at the beginning of the road with barrels, and jersey barriers. When the person drives up to the gate, they see the barricade and several ordinary looking POSTED signs. The difference is that the Posted signs aren't ordinary, they'd probably say something like "POSTED: No Trespassing" and then "Except geocachers" underneath all the legal mumbo jumbo...

Anyone who didn't read, (and most people wouldn't) would go home crying...

then for those miscreant muggle teenage kids, they find these weird numbers painted all over the place. they spend hours studying them, but to no avail. they bully the school nerd into coming to the site, and he reveals the horrible truth...

puzzle cache.

DUM DUM DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHM!