No More Space On Hard Drive

fortrel

(I don't know if it's the proper place to post this message. I couldn't find the webmaster email address on the web site.)

I'm getting this error message when I try to email a fellow cacher from GC.com:

Server Error in '/' Application.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is not enough space on the disk.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: There is not enough space on the disk.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[COMException (0x80070070): There is not enough space on the disk.

]

[TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.]

System.RuntimeType.InvokeDispMethod(String name, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Object target, Object[] args, Boolean[] byrefModifiers, Int32 culture, String[] namedParameters) +0

System.RuntimeType.InvokeMember(String name, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object target, Object[] args, ParameterModifier[] modifiers, CultureInfo culture, String[] namedParameters) +473

System.Web.Mail.LateBoundAccessHelper.CallMethod(Object obj, String methodName, Object[] args) +58

[HttpException (0x80004005): Could not access 'CDO.Message' object.]

System.Web.Mail.LateBoundAccessHelper.CallMethod(Object obj, String methodName, Object[] args) +113

System.Web.Mail.CdoSysHelper.Send(MailMessage message) +1846

System.Web.Mail.SmtpMail.Send(MailMessage message) +150

Groundspeak.Web.Messaging.MessageCenter.SendEmail(String SenderEmailAddress, String ReceiverEmailAddress, String Subject, String body, Boolean IsAnonymous, String IPAddress) +492

Groundspeak.Web.SimpleUser.SendMessage(SimpleUser& Recipient, String Subject, String Message, String IPAddress, Boolean IsAnonymous, Boolean SendCopy) +126

Geocaching.UI.SendMessagePanel.btnSend_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) +329

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e) +108

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +58

System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +18

System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData) +33

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +1315

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.573; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.573

Ditto -- Except mine was while logging a find.

Here's mine:

There is not enough space on the disk.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: There is not enough space on the disk.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below. 

Stack Trace:

[COMException (0x80070070): There is not enough space on the disk.

]

[TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.]

System.RuntimeType.InvokeDispMethod(String name, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Object target, Object[] args, Boolean[] byrefModifiers, Int32 culture, String[] namedParameters) +0

System.RuntimeType.InvokeMember(String name, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object target, Object[] args, ParameterModifier[] modifiers, CultureInfo culture, String[] namedParameters) +473

System.Web.Mail.LateBoundAccessHelper.CallMethod(Object obj, String methodName, Object[] args) +58

[HttpException (0x80004005): Could not access 'CDO.Message' object.]

System.Web.Mail.LateBoundAccessHelper.CallMethod(Object obj, String methodName, Object[] args) +113

System.Web.Mail.CdoSysHelper.Send(MailMessage message) +1846

System.Web.Mail.SmtpMail.Send(MailMessage message) +150

Groundspeak.Web.Messaging.MessageCenter.SendServerEmail(String ReceiverEmailAddress, String Subject, String body, MailFormat MailFormat, WptBase Waypoint) +549

Groundspeak.Web.Messaging.MessageCenter.NotifyUsers(WptLog& Log) +1073

Groundspeak.Web.GPX.WptLog.Create(Guid LogGUID, Int64 OwnerID, Int64 WptRefID, DateTime LogDate, Int64 LogTypeID, String Note, Boolean IsEncrypted, Boolean OwnerCannotDelete, Int64 ObjWptID, WptDataSources DataSource, Double Latitude, Double Longitude) +1047

Geocaching.UI.LogBookPanel.CreateNewLog(Boolean CheckConfirm) +1595

Geocaching.UI.LogBookPanel.LogButton_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) +95

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e) +108

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +58

System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +18

System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData) +33

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +1315

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.573; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.573

Then when I went back to the cache page to try again I got:

The process cannot access the file "e:\caches\xml\21865\21865.xml" because it is being used by another process.
Edited by Thot

Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.

Source Error:

Stack Trace:

[sqlException: Timeout expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.]

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream) +723

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior) +45

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.System.Data.IDbCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior) +5

System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.FillFromCommand(Object data, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior) +304

System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior) +77

System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet) +38

Groundspeak.Web.SqlData.SqlConnectionManager.FillDataSet(String sql, Database database) +177

Groundspeak.Web.SqlData.SqlUserController.GetCalendarDateData(Int64 UserID, DateTime DateFrom, DateTime DateTo, WptDataSources DataSource) +393

Groundspeak.Web.User.GetCalendarDates(Int64 UserID, DateTime DateFrom, DateTime DateTo, WptDataSources DataSource) +111

Geocaching.UI.my_default.BindCalendar() +339

Geocaching.UI.my_default.DisplayUserDetails() +1782

Geocaching.UI.my_default.Page_UserLoggedIn(Object sender, EventArgs e) +57

Geocaching.UI.WebformBase.IsLoggedIn() +1096

Geocaching.UI.my_default.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +138

System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +67

System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +35

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +753

Edited by pcmike

Our web stats files overloaded the web server (again).

Fortunately on Monday we will no longer be storing web stats on this machine, which will be a big help. Also we're adding additional hard drives to increase the capacity for the continued growth of images uploaded to the web site. We're over 700,000 cache log images alone, for example.

Have you priced out any terabit sized drives? (I think this is right- HUGE amounts of space) I was hearing about some that the gov't is using for storing sat photos and they sounded huge. Of course their problem was that they kept filling them up every 2 weeks or so!

-Jennifer

We have explored terabyte storage so premium members could upload their original photos instead of forcing them to be resized so they fit on our meager drives. However, we decided (for now at least) that it isn't really a primary need for geocachers, and there are plenty of other services available on the 'net.

We'll be doubling the capacity of our drives for now. Terabyte storage isn't very cost effective at the moment, though I can still drool at the possibility :D

There are a lot of ways to build terrabyte disk arrays. But we certainly won't be building one on a Linux box with a really oddball combination of hardware and software RAID. :D

When we're ready to do this, we'll probably get an external enclosure with internally managed hardware RAID based on IDE disks that connects to our image server via SCSI. There are a number of these boxes that do this, but as an example, check out the IDE arrays from Raid Storage.

:D Elias

There are a lot of ways to build terrabyte disk arrays. But we certainly won't be building one on a Linux box with a really oddball combination of hardware and software RAID. :D

When we're ready to do this, we'll probably get an external enclosure with internally managed hardware RAID based on IDE disks that connects to our image server via SCSI. There are a number of these boxes that do this, but as an example, check out the IDE arrays from Raid Storage.

:D Elias

Friends don't Let Friends mix IDE and RAID :D

Yes it's getting better but.....

Dell makes some real good External Raid Cabinets that will hold tons of drives either with a full or split backplaine. They plug into the SCSI port on the back of the server or optionally the Fiberchannel card :D