Announcing:

fly46

Of course, I'm doing this like this because finances prohibit me from doing it on my own, but here's what I want to do:

I want to have a race where TBs go around to special locations in accordance to the NASCAR schedule (yes, I am a redneck.).... For instance, Daytona, Indy, etc... Tracks that mean something to the schedules of the top three divisions (as opposed to just being 'another track') and that are spread out around the country.

These bugs will be started in Tennessee (home of Nashville Superspeedway), and have a set list of tracks that they have to "visit" by getting placed in a cache within a certain distance of a track.

Bugs will be released on the first day of testing in Daytona in January, and there will be two winning bugs - the bug farthest along at the time the checkered flag drops for the last race of the season, and the first bug to reach all of the goal areas.

Bugs can be any item that relates to racing in some way. A race used lug nut, a trading card for a driver/crew member/car owner, die cast racecars, even a diecast tow truck or ambulance would work since there's at least one at every race, a checkered flag, etc... If you're using a Vehicle, any Cup, Busch, or Truck vehicle or driver (past or present) is acceptable (ie, if you have a Steve Kinser sprint car, you can use that)... If you're not sure about your item, ask me.

Anyway, I'm announcing this now for a couple of major purposes:

1. Get your Bugs ready! You have from now until the new year to prepare them and get them to me along with the entry fee. New bugs only, please.

2. I would like people to offer their caches (with good argument, of course) to be used as specific stopping points along the route. By doing this, you agree to either place a new cache or use an existing cache, and maintain it until at least the end of November. Preferrably until we have a race winner.

I'll maintain a cache page for the bugs, enter a couple of my own along with all of you, and drop the bugs off somewhere in grand style.

I'm thinking that the entry fee can be split and used as prize money - a third to the farthest when the season is over, a third to the first to complete the whole circut, and maybe do something good and use the last third for a NASCAR charity.

What do you guys think?

Hmm... was thinking of similar. A couple quick ideas. There's plenty of time to organize a 2005 NASCAR Travel bug race. Maybe get a few others involved so you don't have to do all the work and allow some interesting things. Like maybe the mass release occurs in Daytona Beach on the Sunday after the Budweiser Shootout? That can be arranged most likely.

A points system with "Lap Leader Bonuses" for things like a picture of the bug in Victory Lane, etc. Check out this link for a previous one HERE

Contact the organizers of the Cannonball Run and get some input from their experiences.

And lastly, just being honest- I would hesitate to mail you an entry fee when you say "Of course, I'm doing this like this because finances prohibit me from doing it on my own". What's that mean? The biggest investment you'll need to make is time- for planning and preperation and to follow through and update the points. there is no way you could ever reach more potential participants than this forum.

Just my quick thoughts- would be happy to discuss my ideas furthur by email-

PS- the caches near tracks. Terraserver or some other websites ( I can't remember which ones) can give you co-ords based on street addresses of all tracks (get the UPS Shipping address not the mail box) and a search could be done on the closest caches. You could tyhen contact the owner to make sure they are suitable (not a micro- not likely to be archived halfway through the race) Just takes a lot of time.

I would be interested in joining in with this race, as I had my own ideas about doing this!

If you need any help, just ask me, I may be able to offer some help.

Also, maybe have the start/finish/off week stop in the Akron area, the home of Goodyear's world headquarters.

Good Luck!

What's that mean?

It means I can't afford to set off 43 travel bugs and watch them do their own race across the country. Considering that'd cost at an absolute minimum $5 a tag, with 43 cars (a full NASCAR field) and a few varius support vehicles, that would make it be something like $250 to set that many vehicles off on my own.

Oh, and another thing, of course, I've not finalized the rules yet, but y'all might want to think of something unique, because I'm not going to allow for duplication. (IE, There can't be ten Casey Atwood Navy bugs going around)

It might be nice to get someone in Daytona to start them off, I just wanted my caches to be involved since I'm starting this, and I'm quite sure there are caches that are closer to the track than mine is. lol.

While we're planning this, I'll also take argument for why a bug should go to a specific track somewhere...

Sounds like a great idea to me. I like the 'points system' in that one link.

There are two races going on that center around the Travelbugs visiting football and baseball stadiums.

Once you get it together let me know and I'll ad it to my Travelbug Races and Games site. Check the link in the sig line.

While we're planning this, I'll also take argument for why a bug should go to a specific track somewhere...

I think it may help in conjunction with bonus points. That may help keep interest if one bug is a 1000 miles closer to the finish line than another bug that other bug could still have a chance winning based on points.

Keeping all the stats though could be quite a chore for you.

Edited by Eric K

Somehow I think that a point system would just complicate matters. If we do it so that the bugs have to go through a list of determined caches in a specific order, then at basic, all we would have to do is have a list of bugs accompanied by how many caches on the list they've gone through, and how many miles they've journied.

Now to determine all of the tracks/areas that I need to have caches in. I'm considering 10, just so that they have a set schedule pretty much all the way around the US:

Daytona is a given for the start of the season.

Indy is a given for somewhere, since all three series race there the same weekend and it's one of the major races

Darlington, since NASCAR hasn't screwed it out of the schedule completely yet and all the series race there.

Richmond - since they all go there the same weekend

Texas - they all go there, just not at once, but it's a good spot to include a cache...

California, since they all go out there, again, not all at once.

End at Homestead, since all of the series finish there at the end of the season.

Now, then, that's seven. What about the next three? As much as I want them all through Nashville, I would like to see them go more to the north west (although, I'm boycotting Chicago still, so the bugs won't go there, sorry!) since we have Florida, South Carolina, Virginia, Indiana, California, Texas, and back to Florida....

I would like to see them go more to the north west (although, I'm boycotting Chicago still, so the bugs won't go there, sorry!) since we have Florida, South Carolina, Virginia, Indiana, California, Texas, and back to Florida....

Akron for the tires...they need to make a pit stop somewhere, right?

lol, jk, jk, but hey, not a bad idea, because all cars need pit stops, right?

I like the schedule so far...Maybe add Infineon or Watkins Glen to the list, so that we can throw a few right handed turns onto the list...

I can't believe I'm about to say this considering who I'm dibbing, but I'm calling dibs, too... I'm sure if I don't that there'll be an argument later over who gets Kyle Petty, Casey Atwood, and Carl Edwards.

And krn gets dibs on Mark Martin.

And, I've made another great decision!

Entrance fee to the race is as follows:

1 car $5

2 cars 8

3 cars 10

Three team maximum rule. (Hey, NASCAR has a max team rule, too!)

Akron for the tires...they need to make a pit stop somewhere, right?

I'm thinking that every cache they go in that's not one of the race specific caches will be considered a 'pit stop' of sorts.

I was considering sending them to mansfield because of the truck race being there. My only setback is that there would be so many straight up, then a couple out west.

Same argument against Michigan.

All three series go to Michigan (not at same time), and Phoneix (3 straight days in November).

The old Winston Million was the oldest race (southern 500), longest race (Charlotte 600), fastest race (Talladega, spring I think) and biggest purse (richest- Datyona 500).

Oh, racing 43 bugs by yourself wouldn't have been as much fun anyways.

Can I have dibs on JR? only cause I think he'll move the best!! or wind up in some girls purse for the whole season......

Another update:

I wanted the last three races to be one special for each series.

Because of that (and a bit of persuasiveness about Akron), the last three races are as follows:

Mansfield (Truck)

Pike's Peak (BGN)

Sears Point (Cup)

So the cars will now go:

Daytona

Darlington

Richmond

Mansfield

Indianapolis

Pikes Peak

Sears Point

California

Texas

Homestead

Prizes will be awarded for: 1. the First TB to complete the 10 race circut; 2. the Farthest TB at the end of the season. If for some reason someone manages to get over the finish line before the season is over, that person will get both prizes.

Entry Fee money is for the prizes, and for the little bit of cost that I will have getting the bugs to the Starting line, and also for the cost of making tags for the bugs (i want to make a dual sided tag that has a list of traveling order on one side and a note saying it's in the race on the other)

All I have to do now is finalize the caches.

So far I have found the one mentioned above for indianapolis, I would prefer volunteers for the rest of them, although I will ask people if need be.

And make the rules up.

I have an interesting twist that I'd like to put in the race.

Hmm.. that means Carl Edwards, Kyle Petty, Casey Atwood, Mark Martin, Dale Jr, Gordo, Richard Petty... all taken.

I'm waiting for two cachers to contact me in regards to their caches being part of this race. I wrote and asked for them to agree to maintain their cache until the season's over and we have a winner for the race, as well as keep them open. (Certainly can't have one archived halfway through!!) Indy's locked in, but the confirmations that I'm waiting for are Mansfield and Texas.

So, the track layout would be something like this?

map.jpg

Sorry if I messed up somewhere

OOps... One of us did...

The Cali races shouldn't cross. The northern one first, then the southern... I think that was my mistake.. I always get confused as to which one is where.

Unfortunately, there are no tracks in places like Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana.... so there's nothing that will get these bugs up there intentionally...

Should I add another race or two in and add to their distance? Cause right now all of New England is cut off, and as much as it would pain me to do it, I can add in the New Hampshire race.

And I wish there were a way to get the cars to one of the northern border states.

Interestingly enough, the 05 BGN schedule has been announced finally, and no, I will not be adding the Mexico Track to one of the ones we have to visit.

Should I add another race or two in and add to their distance? Cause right now all of New England is cut off, and as much as it would pain me to do it, I can add in the New Hampshire race.

And I wish there were a way to get the cars to one of the northern border states.

Isn't there a race in Michigan you could ad? If you consider that a Northern border state.

Adding The Milwaukee Mile/Alan Kulwicki Park in honor of our Underbird and past points champion, and I'll add New Hampshire in in honor of Adam and Kenny.

Waiting on confirmation from three different cache owners about their caches, basically, I just want to know that we're not designating a cache and then it's not going to be there when the bugs round that bend.

The krn187 / rousch team consists of Mark Martin, Kurt Busch, and Matt Kensith. If we can have expansion I would like to add Biffle and Burton. My team amongst Nascar would have 5 drivers but I will go with my original 3 if that is all I am allowed. Fly let me know But I got dibs on Martin Busch and Kensith for sure.

Not really sure what I was expecting for the logo...

the first one is starting to grow on me kinda... Or modified slightly so the tag has room for the list of caches it needs to get to... (Is that even possible?)

The way I was maybe going to have to do them would have to be one sided.

krn - I'll think about that expansion thing.

here's a good idea for a prize, if we got enough people:

A Geocaching Die-Cast car!

I found this site while I was searching all of my NASCAR Sim game sites. I could paint up a car with the Official Geocahing Cup logo on the hood with a geocaching color scheme

That could be an awesome prize!

Edited by Pack Rat 24
Just found the Mark Martin action figure............go figure........he is ready for the race.

There's a company that made a set of all the little stand up guys - but not like normal standups.. They all have their hands on their hips and a helmet on so you can't see faces (which is probably good, cause those plastic likenesses are usually awful).. and they made all the Roush guys plus Ricky Rudd for some reason. That might help you for your quest.

Adding Martin, Kenseth, and Kurt to the list of drivers on the CND (Can Not Duplicate) list.

I'm starting work on one of my bugs already.

I need to cut the side window out of a diecast car to get Casey's bug ready to go.

Still trying to figure out what I'm going to be able to do for Carl Edwards.

Still considering the expansion thing.

Working on a couple more cache owners.

Okay, everyone.

I've heard from the first few "track" owners that their "tracks" are a go. Still have a few more to contact.

I'm going to spend part of my time making my rule sheet out for the race. The rules will be pretty simple, but I want to add a couple unique ones that should help ''even out'' the playing field.... Although, someone please help me because I'm starting to feel like my body is being taken over by the NASCAR sanction. lol.

My WalMart is having a huge sale to liquidate merchandise because they're expanding and don't want to keep moving stuff around, so my Kyle bug should be purchased tomorrow, just in case you were wondering.

As for the bugs, the following have been taken: Mark Martin, Kurt Busch, Matt Kenseth, Kyle Petty, Carl Edwards, Casey Atwood, Dale Earnhardt, Jr, Jeff Gordo, Richard Petty.

Prizes will be announced in more detain when the rules are out in more detail, but will include monitary awards and unactivated TB dog tags.

Each bug will have a tag made for it, one of which will be the oval one posted above, the other one will list a list of caches in the order in which they are to be visited.

Feel free to keep discussing this for now if you'd like... I'll renew the discussion again after I finalize all of the caches for the race.

I am pulling myself and the team I put dibs on out of the race. Rousch team is up for the takings. I have been told in the last week week that competition is frowned upon in the geocaching world and I think this race is a competition and should be listed somewhere else as to not impose competition on the site. Just passing the word on and getting out. Fly if you decide to continue this make sure your cache owners approve the use of their caches. Happy hunting,

KRN187(the non competer in geocaching because competition is bad and frowned upon. :blink: )

How about this then?

Instead of having a specific cache to get to, why not ask that the TB's picture be taken at the main entrance sign at the track.

This avoids the competition aspect that has been argued about for a while now, and also makes a great momento to the TB owners

How's that sound?