Cigarette Lighter Power Vs. Inverter - Need Advice

huntley

I just got started GPSing recently with a Garmin etrex Legend.

At present, I have neither the cigarette lighter adapter to power the GPS while driving nor an inverter to power a laptop (once I buy some mapping software).

The question I have relates to the best way to power up the GPS as well as a laptop while taking road trips. Wouldn't an inverter be a better way to go about it?

Any suggestions?

I chose to go with an invertor to power the laptop, and a Delorme Earthmate GPS which gets its power, as well as sending data, from the computer's USB port.

Even if you choose to stick with your Legend, you'll need the invertor to power the laptop on longer trips. I'd recommend getting a combination power/data cable for the Legend, and, if necessary, adding a second cigarette lighter to your car, to supply power. A better option may be to use the lighter socket for the GPS, and have the invertor wired direcctly to the battery, but I run mine off the lighter socket without problem. Although I did melt one of those "3 in 1" lighter adapters one time trying to run the invertor, GPS and I think a AA battery charger on it.

One of my cars only had one ligher socket, and it only had power when the key was in the "on' position, so I added my own, with constant power. It's really pretty easy to do. Just make sure you get the power and ground wires hooked right, and route the wires somewhere they won't rub and short out.

In my job we do a lot of Drive testing for "alternative ... read working.... 3G technologies" this involves 2 * pcs per vehicle each with GPS units attached for perrformance V postition data ... we have found NONE of the 12V to PC DC - DC convertors work well (they all overheat and close down) we run the (garmin) gps's off the 12VDc (work great) and we run the PCs off 240 V AC - we get a min of 150 W 12VDc - 1240 AC invertors to run them - works fine - although we need vehicles with 4 Cig lighthers to work ...............

G

I power my Garmin from the cigarette lighter, using a cable I made. It's an eTrex cable on one end, from pfranc.com, and a USB connector on the other. It connects to a plug that goes into the lighter jack and has a USB port on the back, giving 3VDC. This cable also Ys to power my Palm, and connect the GPS to the Palm for running mapping programs.

In my job we do a lot of Drive testing for "alternative ... read working.... 3G technologies" this involves 2 * pcs per vehicle each with GPS units attached for perrformance V postition data ... we have found NONE of the 12V to PC DC - DC convertors work well (they all overheat and close down) we run the (garmin) gps's off the 12VDc (work great) and we run the PCs off 240 V AC - we get a min of 150 W 12VDc - 1240 AC invertors to run them - works fine - although we need vehicles with 4 Cig lighthers to work ...............

G

Would you be able to point me in the right direction for finding one of these inverters? It sounds like something that I can use.

thanks

Why not just get a 12V multiplug, one port for the invertor and one for the GPS.

coz they melt after being used for a drive test of 8 hours .... :P

brings back find memories... nashville tennessee... sprint pcs as the customer. Drive test in a minivan... 4 cell phones strapped to the back of the headrest and wired to the laptop (rubberbands holding phones)... laptop, gps receiver with external antenna on roof attached both together to the laptop. Basically scooting around drive testing the network for an update...

....and yes, multi plug adaptors FRY, MELT and SMOKE (even the good ones) when you hook mad things up to them like we did. From then on we only rented minivans with MULTIPLE 12V plugs we could wire from.

;)

Ah the good ole nortel days when the stock was 85 (now 3.85 :huh:).

Edited by spalik