Why Topo

When you look at the lines you will see a darker line every 5 or 10 lines. there should be an elevation number on the darker line. From there you can tell if you are going up or down. also on the maps you can see if there are swamps, thick brush, streams, rivers, and even benchmarks. with the topo program you can put the caches on the maps so you can see where your go when your gps fails(it will happen sometime when you least expect it) also you will have to pay a fine for the rangers to come find you.

IN ALL, YOU MUST CARY A MAP AND COMPASS WHEN HIKING FOR A BARE MINIMUM!!!

If you don't need elevation or contour data, then you're right, topo maps are of little use to you. For hiking, that data is useful, as are the additional trail, off-road, and hiking points of interest on the maps.

In my cache hunts the trails are just the ticket. Getting around in a town is easy. Convoluted spagetti trails are another matter.

I never carry a map. I don't have maps in the GPS either. The GPS in itself is perfectly enough (just mark your starting point), even a compass is unnecessary (although it can help). If you get lost with a GPS in your hand then probably you have not yet learned how to use it. Of course, if the GPS fails that can be a problem.

One of the thrills in geocaching or hiking with a GPS is that you don't need a map, you don't have to follow any trails and still you will never get lost.

I never carry a map. I don't have maps in the GPS either. The GPS in itself is perfectly enough (just mark your starting point), even a compass is unnecessary (although it can help). If you get lost with a GPS in your hand then probably you have not yet learned how to use it. Of course, if the GPS fails that can be a problem.

One of the thrills in geocaching or hiking with a GPS is that you don't need a map, you don't have to follow any trails and still you will never get lost.

Well, this is true...to a degree.

Nevertheless....an accurate topo map, for those who can read them well, draws you a picture of your surrounding area better than ANYTHING. A 'good' topo will allow the reader to understand not only his position but how it relates to the geographic area he/she happens to be in.....and for a hiker, which I am, this has ENORMOUS value. If you stick to the trails then....well, maybe not....but if you ever venture away from the trail then most definitely so. - JamesJM

Nevertheless....an accurate topo map, for those who can read them well, draws you a picture of your surrounding area better than ANYTHING. A 'good' topo will allow the reader to understand not only his position but how it relates to the geographic area he/she happens to be in.....and for a hiker, which I am, this has ENORMOUS value.

This is true, but whether you want that or not is a matter of personal preference. I like to "pretend" that I'm an explorer of the area and there is just no map because no one before me was there :P This can cause some surprises but that is part of the game for me. If I'm given a map that shows what is where then what is the point of going anywhere, I can see everything on the map :D

I foresee you becoming acquainted with the Search and Rescue squad. :P

When I lived in Colorado, we lost a couple dozen tourists a year to plain ol' stupidity. Such as going into the backcountry without a map, ignoring flood warnings, deliberately starting avalanches to snowboard, skiing backwards downhill while playing catch with a football, etc.

I don't bother with paper maps and a compass when I'm in a city park or a light hiking area. I keep a fanny pack with bare essentials. If my trek takes me more than 2 miles from my vehicle or more than 300 feet of elevation change, I pack more seriously.

I agree with carrying a paper topo page (printed out before heading out) when going a mile or more offroad. Those that don't agree with this have never gone out without spare batteries. Even if one does carry spare batteries, they will not be as valuable as a paper map if one has tripped and found out when they get back up that their GPSr doesn't power on for one reason or another.