Step By Step Instruction?

Lil Moose & Big Bear

Are there any step by step instructions for beginners? I've read many posts in the forums which give me bits and pieces of the steps, but would like to see a great "how to get started" article. For example, I have a cache sheet which gives gives the following information:

Going to Gatlinburg

by MountainMudbug & TigerShark [profile]

N 35° 42.458 W 083° 31.161 (WGS84)

UTM: 17S E 272078 N 3954447

or convert to NAD27 at Jeeep.com

Click icon to download: loc or gpx.

What do I do now?

I also see that there are free desktop applications that support GPX and LOC file formats for managing the loc/gps files. Short of downloading all of these, which ones are recommended?

Thanks to anyone who can help me.

:(

Are there any step by step instructions for beginners? I've read many posts in the forums which give me bits and pieces of the steps, but would like to see a great "how to get started" article. For example, I have a cache sheet which gives gives the following information:

Going to Gatlinburg

What do I do now?

I also see that there are free desktop applications that support GPX and LOC file formats for managing the loc/gps files. Short of downloading all of these, which ones are recommended?

:blink:

I don't know if you're just a geocaching beginner, or also a GPS beginner. I'll assume you know the basics of using a GPS.

Enter the coordinates N 35° 42.458 W 083° 31.161 in to your GPS.

Use the map links on the cache page to get an idea of where the cache is located. From the map, figure out your driving route to get close to the cache, and a good place to park.

Go to that location. Turn on your GPS and use the GOTO function to direct you to the cache.

If you find the cache, you can swap trade item if you wish, and you should sign the log book. Whether or not you find it, you should enter your experience in the cache's on-line log.

Good Luck!

(This is a very bare bones explanation. If you have questions on using your GPS, they're best posted in the GPS Hardware and Software section of the forum.)

When I started I just manually input the coordinates into my gps as a new waypoint. Then I clicked on the map on the cache page to see what roads it was near. (zoom in on the mapquest page if needed). Once I got close I used the GPS to navigate to said waypoint. Once your gps says you are there just start searching. Once you find it, sign the log and take something/leave something if you wish. Then when your back home you'll want to log your find. Go back to the cache page and in the top right corner click on "Log your visit". Choose the appropriate type of log ("Found it, Did not find it, Write note") and go from there.

If you want more info on using the free software to download/upload waypoints, check this thread

Edited by Larry.s

Thanks Larry - nice to be noticed and remembered - this is about as step by step as you can get.

Geo U is a good informative site -

unfortunately you are not likely to find a full step-by-step here - suggest you get the book (now don't laugh - it is real!)

GeoCaching for dummies -- oops that's the

Complete Idiots Guide to Geeocaching -

does that mean complete idiots or complete guide ?? :D:D:blink::blink:

http://www.geocaching.com/about/thebook.aspx

Edited by CompuCash
I don't know if you're just a geocaching beginner, or also a GPS beginner. I'll assume you know the basics of using a GPS

I'm both a geocaching beginner and a GPS beginner. I understanding the geocaching part, it's the GPS part that I'm having trouble wrapping my brain around. I'll post my question there also as suggested!

Thanks!

Edited by martivi1
unfortunately you are not likely to find a full step-by-step here - suggest you get the book (now don't laugh - it is real!)

GeoCaching for dummies  -- oops that's the

does that mean complete idiots or complete guide ?? :D  :D  :blink:  :blink:

This is a great tip. I'm headed to the bookstore!!

Thanks!

GeoCaching for dummies  -- oops that's the

does that mean complete idiots or complete guide ?? :blink:  :D  :D  B)

This is a great tip. I'm headed to the bookstore!!

Thanks!

yer welcome - glad I could help - you might want to call first - or order on-line from our benevolent host here :blink:

;) Listen, if you live anywhere near Crawford County Ohio, then email me an we'll get together soon a go do some caches. :rolleyes:

At the bottom of this forums initial page there are regional forums - so find a good solid cacher in your area and beg him to give you a little lesson. I think that ought to be done a lot!

:o Listen, if you live anywhere near Crawford County Ohio, then email me an we'll get together soon a go do some caches.

Thanks to all for the advice. I did buy the book and enjoyed reading it! I've finally got a handle on this and am able to download waypoints and enter them manually. We've found 8 caches so far! This is such a great sport and everyone has been so helpful!

Thanks Robespierre for the offer, unfortunately I'm in Georgia...way too far from Ohio to take you up on your offer. I think I will check out the regional forums so that I can meet some local cachers.

Thanks again everyone! :lol:

Going to Gatlinburg

What do I do now?

:o

I live in your area(knoxville) and I would be willing to go with you and show you the ropes if you want me to. Check my profile for caching times during the week.