How big is geo Caching?

Guest belize

I've just started learning about Geo Caching and was wondering just how big a phenomena it is. I know there are caches in 80 countries, but how many people are actively pursueing this as a hobby, and how about clubs? Do people actually travel to other nations solely to track caches?

Anyone know where I can find this information?

Guest glenn95630

Here is a page with some statistics that you may find helpful. According to it, there were 7,767 cachers who found caches in the last 3 months and a total of 14,598 cachers.

http://www.insidecorner.com/geocaching/stats/leaderboard.cgi

In general, most people do most of their caching near (less than 100 miles) their home. Some 'statistical outlayers' drive hundreds of miles to find caches. Many geocachers when on vacation, do some cache hunting. For example, if they were going to Mom's house for Christmas, they would also hunt a geocache or two. Very few geocachers would be willing to make this phone call, "Sorry Mom, can't make it for Christmas this year... I'm going geocaching."

But, caches may influence a vacation decision. Say for example a geocacher decided that they were going to Belize for vacation. They might stay in City A instead of City B if City A was near some really cool caches.

glenn95630

Guest Markwell

quote:
Originally posted by belize:

...and how about clubs?

Mostly this can be found on the regional boards, as the clubs are local (in the US, state or metropolitan based). Georgia has a very active and strong Geocaching community, and Chicago (my area) and Milwaukee metro areas have loosely formed communities.

Geocaching is a uniquely individual hobby that can take place with (my guess) 1 to 5 people per GPS, but there have been many events around the US this past summer where local Geocachers get together to meet and discuss issues, and even do a little caching.

What part of the world are you from?

------------------

Markwell

My Geocache Page

Non omnes vagi perditi sunt

Guest spiny norman

F="http://www.brillig.com/geocaching/maps.shtml" TARGET=_blank>This and this should give you a general idea.

Leans heavily towards english speaking contries but I suspect that because that its the language it originated in.

By the way, what's the deal with the big island of hawaii? According to Buxley's stats, they have half the land down there and none of the caches.

Guest logscaler

Whoo-hoo! I'm a statistical outlier!

Hey Clayjar!!!

I am one also !!!!

I am guessing this guy means we travel more then 100 miles to a cache to pump up our numbers.

Should we be insulted ??

I will think about it as I drive about 1500 miles in the next couple of weeks. After the 400 miles this weekend.

TTFN, logscaler.

Guest glenn95630

To Clayjar, logscaler, and other statistical outliers,

Please dont' be insulted, it was meant as good-natured ribbing. In fact, I'm jealous, I haven't been a good road trip since my trip from Los Angeles to Virginia Tech via the Space Needle and the Mackinac Bridge.

Besides, statistical outliers have more fun.

glenn95630

I am from the country of Belize. Belize is a country of rainforests, coral reefs and Maya archaeological sites, all in a very small area. Was wondering if the movement was big enough to set up a "geocaching trail" throughout the country hitting all the high points and lesser known areas so that one could combine GC with getting to know the country. Since I am very new to this, I was just checking on the interest of this kind of program. Any thoughts would be appreciate or if there is something like this already set up, I would like to communicate with the organizers.

Thanks!

Guest Markwell

I think that idea is GREAT! I might not ever make it down there, but as we are fond of saying - "Hide it and they will seek." Someone will find your cache(s) eventually and really thank you for them.

------------------

Markwell

My Geocache Page

Non omnes vagi perditi sunt

Guest Cape Cod Cache

Belize!

Love the place ! I delivered a boat there years ago, I highly recommend it to all vacationers. Locals are very nice, beaches are great, and I never saw a real "jungle" before. I hope to make it back there before I run out of batteries, or M-TV destroys it...

Guest glenn95630

As a first step, instead of a geocaching trail, I would set up a lot of regular caches.

Let's say a geocacher visits the northern part of the country, but those sites are steps 8, 9, and 10 in the geocaching trail. The visiting geocachers would never know about it!

Maybe set up the geocaching trail and in the same vicinity as each step, place some regular caches.

glenn95630

Guest davidrgilbert

quote:
Originally posted by spiny norman:

Leans heavily towards english speaking contries but I suspect that because that its the language it originated in.

By the way, what's the deal with the big island of hawaii? According to Buxley's stats, they have half the land down there and none of the caches.

I just returned from Hawaii after hiding my first cache on Kauai (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=10269). Unfortunatly, I did not have time on the Big Island to hide a cache. Very suprising that none exist there - Many good spots exist. Maybe on the next trip... (If no one beats me to it)

------------------

David R. Gilbert

dave@davidrgilbert.com

Oh boy, would I like to reply to this thread, but it is so old no one will see this!!

But if the poster from Belize is still around, please email me at k_m_urban at comcast.net -- I am going to Placencia, Belize next week (Feb 9 2008) and I am only permitted to put caches in southern Belize if someone local will maintain them, otherwise they will be considered "vacation caches" which are not permitted on the site. I'll try to find you on the Belize forum also.

We are going to Southern Belize near Placencia, but all the caches in the country are in the north. But if we could locate a local person to maintain them, we could place a cache or two in Southern Belize. I'm off to the Belize forum to see if I can locate someone. We've travelled a bit in northern Belize, and it is not to be missed, but that was before we started hunting for geocaches on vacation. It makes travel so much more fun when you can look for caches, as they lead you to such interesting places.

I know in my area there are about 25-30 very active cachers within bout 20 miles from me and im in a somwhat smaller city (albany,GA) and we have about 150 active caches currently here alone. But there are thousands more within about 100 miles (if not more) I also recently ran into a couple from NY that retired, sold their house for a motor home and do nothing but travel around and cache. Boy i wish i could! I know of people that moved to a different city just because they ran out of caches where they lived. Of those that are avid cachers its a huge deal but i also know people that have been around for over a year or so and still havent found very many. So its all up to how much you get into it i guess.

Oh boy, would I like to reply to this thread, but it is so old no one will see this!!

But if the poster from Belize is still around, please email me at k_m_urban at comcast.net -- I am going to Placencia, Belize next week (Feb 9 2008) and I am only permitted to put caches in southern Belize if someone local will maintain them, otherwise they will be considered "vacation caches" which are not permitted on the site. I'll try to find you on the Belize forum also.

Wow! A 6 year old necro! This HAS to be a record!

Edited by Okiebryan

Wow! A 6 year old necro! This HAS to be a record!

Gosh, no kidding. :rolleyes: At least the thread is interesting with info on how many caches were around in 2001.

Whoo-hoo! I'm a statistical outlier!<BR><BR><BR>Hey Clayjar!!!<BR><BR><BR>I am one also !!!!<BR><BR>I am guessing this guy means we travel more then 100 miles to a cache to pump up our numbers.<BR><BR>Should we be insulted ??<BR><BR>I will think about it as I drive about 1500 miles in the next couple of weeks. After the 400 miles this weekend.<BR><BR>TTFN, logscaler.

From my cache stats:

Furthest cache found: 13087.54 Km, Aviation GC15TVT