Wtf Every Thing Was Erased From My Sportrak!

Today i was going out of town with my Magellan Sportrak Map for a bit and while i was outa town id pick up 2 caches. Well had the gps on all the wya to first cache (about an hour) then it said low battery. So i replaced them with fresh batterys and then found the first cache.

I get to my destination and accidently leave my gps on the dash board in the car for over an hour. When i turn it on every thing is gone! No waypoints, all of my tracking history! every thing, but my option like 'max speed' is still on there. My odometer still has all of its miles on it!

The gps was very hot, did the heat effect its memory or something? I have had my gps for nearly 6 months and never had any thing like this happen.

aj

Edited by AJ of Dunbar

I'm pretty sure that was no coincidence. The general rule of thumb is that electronics--be them GPSr's, cameras, computers, what have you--tend to like the same temperatures we do. Think how well you'd be functioning if someone left you on a hot dashboard for an hour, and you'll get a rough idea. :(

My eMap (Garmin) did this once while I was experimenting with building my own car adapter. It was caused by over-voltage on the input. I can see if the unit was really hot it may cause this condition internally in the GPS. It probably didn't erase itself because it was hot, but did so when you turned it on hot.