Double Standard

ju66l3r

ju66l3r, allow me to rephrase Sparky's question, as I think he means it (I could be wrong, of course - not the first time for that):

"What are you trying to imply by asking where the one ends and the other begins?"

Whether that is a valid question ("do you have a preconceived conclusion that you are trying to draw out with this topic) or not I will not argue. I don't know, and I think I find myself satisfied by briansnat's original post...

EDIT: proofread, n00b. profroead.

Edited by New England n00b
I've already answered this question above in response to clearpath's IDENTICAL query.  Continue to ask the same question over again and I will report it as spam.

Why? You're asking the same question over and over again after you've been given plenty of replies. Can I report your posts as Spam?

deadhorse.gif

Yeah, and you can probably send him a PM and call him an idiot like he did to me. <_<

ju66l3r, allow me to rephrase Sparky's question, as I think he means it (I could be wrong, of course - not the first time for that):

No, NEN00b, Sparky did quite well at expressing himself here and in a PM in which he states:

I really don't do anything to bother you.  I don't understand why you can't leave likewise alone.

I've reported your AS post in encouragement of off-topic posting and abuse by GPSax.

I hope they issue a warning and you learn something from it.

Whatever. Why don't you take a vacation and quit stirring the pot? Can't you tell that people don't like you? I'm asking a simple question, and you can't answer it. Your question is stupid, and has no point other than to stir the pot. Get a life and get out of the forums. I've reported several of your posts as "stirring the pot" and "inciting a flame war", but I doubt you'll learn anything by getting a warning if you can't read the writing on the forum wall that says you're nothing but a pot-stirring troll.

"What are you trying to imply by asking where the one ends and the other begins?"

I am honestly not implying anything more than this community is highly intertwined with the business aspects of this website and this business is highly intertwined with the communal aspects of this community. Often, these facts are ignored in order to establish a double standard (for prime example: if you don't like this business, then leave the community...since leaving this particular listing service is akin to quiting geocaching on any sort of a regular basis - less than 25 caches within 100 miles that aren't listed here). Where are these lines drawn, since community members are also the staff members responsible both for their personal opinions (which define the community) and their professional responsibilities (which are defined by the listing service and ultimately define what the community is able to submit for the rest of the community to enjoy)?

Torry's response about the PTA/Cub Scouts is very good. I hadn't thought of those organizations and how they help define a school's direction and yet are subjected to the decisions of the school's board which is outside of their primary influence for the most part.

I don't have an implication, I'm soliciting opinions on the topic.

Since a lot of us appear to be kneejerkers, could you possibly summarize your statement in one or two sentences?  <_<
The real question is where does the community end and the business begin? Where does the business end and the community begin?

Your answer was only to repeat the questions. All we are asking is for you to answer the questions you are asking yourself.

I would recommend that everyone take his advice and leave this topic.

Now go about your geocaching discussions and never come back here again unless you'd like to discuss the topic at hand.
Your answer was only to repeat the questions. All we are asking is for you to answer the questions you are asking yourself.

If I knew the answer to 'what do you think about this?'...I wouldn't have had to ask in the first place and I'd have a neat parlor trick for surprising my dinner guests.

Back to the topic (As best as I can recall( ...

Geocachers around the world set out caches. In the years before GPSr's were available at Wal-Mart they were set out and the locations were passed around by word-of-mouth, in the pages of fanzines and personal letters and in orienteering newletters and such. Once the GPSr's became prevalent and setting and finding caches became easier the sheer number of caches and a touch of brilliance sparked the creaion of Groundspeak, Navicache and other sites.

Independent individuals still drove the sport but a centralized collection of information made it possible for the sport to grow far beyond its orienteering roots. In exchange for their services in providing a centralized listing of caches the caching community adopted some standardized practices that made the site manageable. Gone were two-page descriptions of trees and nearby landmarks. Gone was the emphasis on splendid views and wonderful hikes.

In their place we got a standardized system of placements, cache sizes and types, standardized desriptions of terrain and overall difficulty. In short we traded the maverick aspects of orienteering for the security and convenience of Groundspeak. For a small fee Groundspeak shoulders the burden of being the figurehead of the sport and the sport has grown geometrically.

Groundspeak is still driven by the community it serves and the comunity is guided down a marked road built and controlled by Groundspeak. That's the trade-off.

Back to the topic (As best as I can recall( ...

Geocachers around the world set out caches. In the years before GPSr's were available at Wal-Mart they were set out and the locations were passed around by word-of-mouth, in the pages of fanzines and personal letters and in orienteering newletters and such. Once the GPSr's became prevalent and setting and finding caches became easier the sheer number of caches and a touch of brilliance sparked the creaion of Groundspeak, Navicache and other sites.

Independent individuals still drove the sport but a centralized collection of information made it possible for the sport to grow far beyond its orienteering roots. In exchange for their services in providing a centralized listing of caches the caching community adopted some standardized practices that made the site manageable. Gone were two-page descriptions of trees and nearby landmarks. Gone was the emphasis on splendid views and wonderful hikes.

In their place we got a standardized system of placements, cache sizes and types, standardized desriptions of terrain and overall difficulty. In short we traded the maverick aspects of orienteering for the security and convenience of Groundspeak. For a small fee Groundspeak shoulders the burden of being the figurehead of the sport and the sport has grown geometrically.

Groundspeak is still driven by the community it serves and the comunity is guided down a marked road built and controlled by Groundspeak. That's the trade-off.

applause.jpg

Impressive, oh porky one

"Over the past three years, we've worked hard to create a site that gives geocachers an easy and interactive way to get involved within this growing community," said Jeremy Irish, president of Groundspeak Inc., the owner and operator of Geocaching.com. "Winning the People's Voice Award is a true testament to the passion of geocachers around the world. This honor wouldn't have been possible without them and their dedication to the outdoors and adventure."

You know what I am hearing from you? Blah blah blah....SURE they listen to the caching community...that's why we can't list Virtuals or Locationless anymore, and more rules are being pushed on us everyday...

I understand the reason is server space...

Being new to this game and web site I am totally impressed with the amount of information contained in their site and how well organized it is, knowing how much programming is behind all of the databases and forum boards. This programming is not cheap yet they do it without a required subscription or the dreaded "pop-up ads" <_< I give gc.com a big round of applause for what they have accomplished with this site.....I love it!!

You know what I am hearing from you? Blah blah blah....SURE they listen to the caching community...that's why we can't list Virtuals or Locationless anymore, and more rules are being pushed on us everyday...

I understand the reason is server space...

Being new to this game and web site I am totally impressed with the amount of information contained in their site and how well organized it is, knowing how much programming is behind all of the databases and forum boards. This programming is not cheap yet they do it without a required subscription or the dreaded "pop-up ads" <_< I give gc.com a big round of applause for what they have accomplished with this site.....I love it!!

Perfectly put! Thank-you! :mad:

I don't see a double standard. There *is* a Geocaching community. This site *is* a business. The two interact, but are unique. And the reviewers are part of various Geocaching communities, serving a dual role as a volunteer for Groundspeak to provide service to their communities.

Because they speak from both points of view does not establish a double standard. They serve dual roles, as they should. They will speak with one hat on vs. the other at various time out of neccessity.

Also understand that the users of the forum represent a miniscule population when compared to the overall user base of the web site. Simply because a group of 10 or 20 or even 200 people decide collectively that something would be great, does not mean the other hundred thousand users want or need it. The needs of the overall user population must drive development here, not 20 people who think they have a good idea.