Forestry Commision

The only general FC permission we have is as per Lactodorum's pinned post. The caches have to be notified to the FC by myself or Lactod and they check the location and if is OK, is OK.

In other areas, as per usual, you have to treat the FC as the landowner and apply to the local warden/ranger for permsision to place a cache on their land.

Cheers adn Cache Well,

Eckington

I really hope it'll be ok, cos I've been planning this hard after looking at the threads on cool cache containers, gonna take a bit of work to build the container, but if it works......*insert big evil grin and villanous sounding chuckle* :blink:

Danegar

P.S. Thanks for the info

Edited by Danegar
Ok I'll admit confusion...(may be age related before anyone adds tthe comment)..I presume this only applies to England and Wales ?? ...

currently there is a permanent agrement with the Coed y Mynydd Forest District part of Forestry Commision Wales, but other forest areas have come to individual aggrements with cachers. I would suggest that you use the agreement that Lactodorum sorted out with them, and give our 2 reviewers as contact, in case of work taking place in the area were the cache is, as this is one of the FC's problems with caches. The risk of some one entering a area were work is taking place, to look for a cache. If you need a contact name within the Coed y Mynydd district for other area managers to contact drop send me a email, and I'll pass details on to you. Also dont forget to mentionForestry Shepherds Cache Event, which was a FC Wales sponsored cache event.

Dave

Edited by Mancunian Pyrocacher

As Moonherb says, there are a couple of "discussions" going on at the moment but unfortunately the discussion is one way only. Getting a response is proving difficult and even if we get one we have a major stumbling block.

Although each FC area is a fairly self autonomous body they still receive guidance and advice from the central office. The advice being given is that there is a concern around public liability and until this is resolved NO caches are being released in ANY FC land except where arrangements are already in place e.g. North Wales. Even those are subject to review by the local land managers in conjunction with Eckington or I.

I would strongly suggest that this is "one boat" that doesn't need rocking too much however making contact with your local Forestry Commission people with poilte enquiries can certainly help keep things moving.

Eckington and I still continue to receive caches for review on FC land and I would stress that we cannot release them until this is sorted. Sorry!!

I also have a dialogue in place with FC regarding placing a cache on their land in Collingbourne woods in Wiltshire, I have been speaking to a forest ranger at their Marlborough office who has been quite positive in his response however he has been obliged to pass on my requests to the Forest of Dean office which is the administrative authority covering Wilts.

They have not responded yet and a follow up call to The Forest Ranger has indicated that they are "considering their policy towards geocaching" and that it was "waiting in a pile to be dealt with".

My initial approach was at the end of April which subsequently included sending a set of information which included information on what I specifically wanted to do, Dave's (Mancunian Pyrocacher) introduction letter, CITO info, GAGB, the Hampshire county council policy and the FCC north Wales policy. My last conversation was at the beginning of June. I am taking a patient approach to this and hope that they will be able to find the time to formulate their response.

It seems that the Forest Rangers are positive about geocaching and CITO but the FC management are being cautious.

I have also had pointed out to me, a Government Draft Consultation paper defining the e-government priority services for 2005 which includes the line;

"Direct promotion of, and initiatives around, healthier lifestyles (e.g. information and downloadable / interactive maps for local cycle and walking routes, geocaching initiatives)."

It is my intention to send a copy of this document to the FC at Forest of Dean office to further strengthen our case as this is a tacit indication that the government is aware of and positive towards geocaching.

Of course, I will be sure to relay any response I receive.

Cheers, John

--------------------

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy.

Isaac Newton.

Edited by The Hole-in-the-wall Gang

OK, thanks for the info guys, from what I've read, I'll get in touch with the local office and see what they say. Couls explain the lack of caches in the area I'm looking at. I'll keep everyone posted including/especially Eckington and Lactodorum.

Danegar