What's The Rule?

If its been archived, about as long as it takes to pack up a new one and put it there. But I think it would be courteous to shoot the old owner a note first to make sure he isn't planning on replacing it. Some people archive missing caches, rather than disable them, even if they plan on replacing it.

Edited by briansnat
When a cache is missing, how long do you have to wait until you can take over that site? (as in, someone else placed a cache that went missing)

If the cache is missing, you can post a "should be archived" type note to the cache. These get routed to TPTB, who then alert the area's approver. At that point, it may be immediately archived, or the owner may be notified and given an chance to repair it, depending on circumstances.

If you place a cache in the same area, it won't be approved until the original has been archived.

If you look at the bottom of yout OWN cache listings, it should say who approved them. Keep in mind that some of your approvers listed on your cache pages may not be your regular approver becuase they do help other areas out sometimes. Check more than one listing.

I wouldn't email the approver unless it has been a while since you posted the "should be archived" (2 weeks+) becuase more than likely the approvers are working on it. It probably will eventually get archived.

We tried e-mailing the owner of the cache but no reply there. We posted that it should be archieved but nothing yet. How do you get in touch with an approver? I'm not sure who ours is.

It is NOT required but if you list what state you live in in your profile it makes it easy to answer your question.

We tried e-mailing the owner of the cache but no reply there. We posted that it should be archieved but nothing yet. How do you get in touch with an approver? I'm not sure who ours is.

Did you just post a note saying it should be archived? Or did you use the "should be archived" type note? Only the latter will be routed to an approver.