Archive Advice

I'm looking for opinions on Hay Head Wood. Take a read of the (recently modified) description and the log from 'erewego'.

A few cachers have noted the disproportionate amount of lone men hanging around, and I'm considering (but only considering archiving the cache. The site is nice, the nearby model planes provide entertainment, and there's some history, so I really don't want to archive the cache, but I don't want to lead cachers somewhere undesireable either. What do people think? is the warning sufficient?

Chris

big pinch of salt required before you read this.

Why not change it to a virtual cache and to be able to log it you have to provide photographic evidence of the activity going on. With suitible censored parts on the photo. ^_^

Maybe not, as I've asked the local Plod if they can drop by.

"Yes Officer, I can explain why I was taking photographs"

Your cache would be ok without the warning, and with it you do people a service by telling them what to expect. The one thing I can think of is that you don't directly say what you mean with the warning. Thus a new geocaher innocent of the ways of parks and men hanging out in them might not know exactly what you are getting at. Geocaching introduced me to the concept. Until then I never knew that men did that. (at certain parks)

Edit, added the comment in ()

Edited by Renegade Knight
big pinch of salt required before you read this.

Why not change it to a virtual cache and to be able to log it you have to provide photographic evidence of the activity going on. With suitible censored parts on the photo. :lol:

Maybe not, as I've asked the local Plod if they can drop by.

"Yes Officer, I can explain why I was taking photographs"

LOL! :unsure: That would make for interesting reading in the local newspaper,

"Geocaching the game that ....................?? "

I am sure the police will arrive and everyone will leave quickly, only to return another night and I doubt the police would be able to resource 24 surveillance of the area, As they will be out catching other more dangerous criminals. Maybe best just to note on the cache page to try to restrict hunting to daytime/daylight hours.

This does seem to be on the increase.

As the amount of caches increase, it's going to be fairly evident that they do start to encroach on what could be regarded as 'dogging or 'cruising' areas. Sad but true.

I was doing a few in the east midlands a little while ago and there was one multi in particular that I didn't feel good about, the same thing as Chris&MaryB, car park with a number of cars with lone males, a couple of blokes acting as look outs at the top of the slope rustlings in the undergrowth etc. Being a bloke and on my own my internal 'AWOOOGAH' siren was going off, so I decided to give it a miss and do the others that I had planned for that day.

Edited by Nottrikk

Last night I did as suggested and contacted West Midlands Police and got a call back today from Kevin Pitt in the Community Safety Bureau at Walsall police station.

He was very helpful, and said that they are aware of a problem- this is why the barrier is locked at night. He also said that any cachers noticing undesireable behaviour here should contact him on 01922 439103. I'm impressed.

The cache will stay!. It seems too popular to archive. I do hope the only photos on the camera are of cachers though :P .

The one thing I can think of is that you don't directly say what you mean with the warning. Thus a new geocaher innocent of the ways of parks and men hanging out in them might not know exactly what you are getting at. Geocaching introduced me to the concept. Until then I never knew that men did that. (at certain parks)

Yeh... I must admit I had to google the word dogging... and I learned more than I ever needed to know about certain popular activities in the UK.

Yeh... I must admit I had to google the word dogging... and I learned more than I ever needed to know about certain popular activities in the UK.

Why do you think the word doesn't appear in the warning! If you google 'hay head wood" the listing turns up. I don't want it being listed under "dogging" too. :P