Philadelphia Help

ODragon

Hi,

I've not done any caching at all but I'm interested. I was hoping that there would be someone in Center City, West or University City that would take me under their wing and allow me to tag along for a couple of the city caches. I don't have a GPS device and would like to try one out to determine what I should buy.

TIA

I started out with a yellow Garmin Etrex. Its easy to use, and on the inexpensive side of GPSes to start out. It also only takes 2 batteries which is nice when you have to put new ones in. You can get a new one at Walmart, I think for about 90 bucks or around that, or you could look online.

Depending on how well the hints and the cache descriptions are, you may be able to find some of the urban caches in your area, without a GPS, if you are clever enough.

Welcome to geocaching madness!

Depending on how well the hints and the cache descriptions are, you may be able to find some of the urban caches in your area, without a GPS, if you are clever enough.

Thanks for the welcome. I did go and find the cache that is right around the corner during lunch today.

I'd still like to try it with a GPS though. I'm thinking about maybe just buying one from radioshack (assuming they have them) as they have a pretty good return policy.

Well there are some nice easy ones in Center City that you could probably do without needing a GPS... Mostly Virts, but at least it would get your feet wet!

I'm only about 20 minutes outside of Philly on the Jersey side. Let me know if you'd like some help!

I may take you up on this some weekend on the not so near future (my weekends are full which is a nice change).

Like I said above, I acutally went and did one today w/o GPS and it was fun.

Any advice on a good machine to get that would preferably be more than just an arrowing pointing to the correct direction?

I may take you up on this some weekend on the not so near future (my weekends are full which is a nice change). 

Like I said above, I acutally went and did one today w/o GPS and it was fun. 

Any advice on a good machine to get that would preferably be more than just an arrowing pointing to the correct direction?

Well each cacher has their own opinion about what GPS to get... I have a Maggy... most of my friends have Maggy's... but I have friends that have Garmin too. It's all a matter of what you are looking for in a GPS... and yes Radio Shack has them.

When ever you want to venture out and try it with a GPS let me know! I can usually break away to do a little caching!