Seperate Icon For Micro/mini Caches

Mechanics Hands

I have done searches through the threads and found many posts about this but wanted to bring it up again. About a year ago I could have swon I saw a seperate icon that denotes mini/micro caches. (I very well could be wrong on this but thought I rememebr seeing a 35mm cannister icon) I know that you can open each cache page and see if its a micro etc. I know as a premium member I can filter out the micros.

However, I find that I am frequently looking up caches from work or other places that I dont have access to my PQ file. My family doesnt like the mini/micro caches as my daughter loves to find treasure, not just a logbook. I'm not looking for a perfect system and everything be 100% accurate, just an easy way to filter through these listings as I'm looking at caches in various areas. To have to open each cache page log just to find out its a mini/micro is a huge waste of time, and makes the process tedious.

Yes a micro cache is a traditional cache. However its still different with different skills and techniques at times to find the small ones. It is a different style of cache, that will attract or repel different types of cachers based on their preferences. For many of us, it would be the difference in hunting the cache with family, or by yourself because of the container type.

A multi is a totally different story, and we should expect micro caches as stages on many of them. There would be no reason to place a new icon for a mini/micro container as part of a stage in a multi. The only time it would need a special icon next to it would be if the final cache was in and of itself a mini/micro.

MH

However, I find that I am frequently looking up caches from work or other places that I dont have access to my PQ file.

So?

You still have access to your account, right?

Then you have access to these filtering options. Simply go to your PQ page and create a query sans micro and whatever else you want to include or exclude. Submit without any days of the week selected. Go to you PQ list page and click "preview." Viola! You have what you've been asking for.

Heck, you can even bookmark it for easy access next time!

Glad to have been a service!

I translate all my types to something other than "Geocache" so that I get different symbols on the map screen based on the type of cache. Micros get a translated to a "cemetery" which is close to a small dot on my vista. I wrote the script that does my translation, but I believe other tools can do this for you too. I'm pretty sure I read the description for one of the windows based tools that does this, but I don't remember which one does.

I translate all my types to something other than "Geocache" so that I get different symbols on the map screen based on the type of cache. Micros get a translated to a "cemetery" which is close to a small dot on my vista. I wrote the script that does my translation, but I believe other tools can do this for you too. I'm pretty sure I read the description for one of the windows based tools that does this, but I don't remember which one does.

Spinner can bulk change all the icons for you (along with a ton of other useful things).

...although a separate icon for micros isn't such a bad idea IMHO... :P

It's definitely a bad idea, but it's also been discussed many times before. :P You lose too much valuable info. You can't represent two different pieces of information with one thing (the icon).

My solution: When I download waypoints to my GPS from GSAK, I have it use this format for the waypoint name:

%DROP2%TYP1%DIF1%TER1%CON1

This gives me an 8 character waypoint with the following info:

first 4 characters are the GC# without the GC. This way I can easily look it up on the site.

5th character is the type of cache (T=traditional, M=multicache, etc.)

6th character is the difficulty (1 = 1, 4 = 2.5, 5 = 3, 9 = 5, etc)

7th character is the terrain (same format as diff)

8th character is the container type(R = Regular, M = Micro, U = unknown, etc)

--Marky

You lose too much valuable info. You can't represent two different pieces of information with one thing (the icon).

Sure you can. Have the traditional icon be the same, and have the micro icon be the same except smaller. There, now you can easily tell type and size.

--RuffRidr

You lose too much valuable info. You can't represent two different pieces of information with one thing (the icon).

Sure you can. Have the traditional icon be the same, and have the micro icon be the same except smaller. There, now you can easily tell type and size.

--RuffRidr

Except that there are already two sizes for each type icon. One that's displayed on cache pages, and one in lists. And we also have a Large cache size. Gotta include that too. And also a not-specified size.

No thanks.