Traveling Caches?

KEELSX6

:( I just had a lot of fun with ET a traveling cache and it just left my area. Looks like it may be headed very far away. I wanted to place one like it but was told that traveling caches are no longer approved. Is this the case. If so, why? :(
:P That is so disappointing. The one that I was just talking about had rules that you had to hide it the same way and it would not have caused any land use problems due to the nature of the location. I wonder if there is a way to do it if the particulars were disclosed to the approver and part of the rules for the cache were to make sure permission was given at the location it was moved to. ?? :( Is there any way to make this work so the idea is not lost? :(
:P That is so disappointing. The one that I was just talking about had rules that you had to hide it the same way and it would not have caused any land use problems due to the nature of the location. I wonder if there is a way to do it if the particulars were disclosed to the approver and part of the rules for the cache were to make sure permission was given at the location it was moved to. ?? :( Is there any way to make this work so the idea is not lost? :(

If you set specific boundaries for the cache, and the area it will be in has given permission you might be ok. But get it talked over with your nearest approver before hand!

The other thing some have done is to try and make it like a travelbug (the only places it can go will already have an approved cache)... some like the idea some dont.

I wouldn't hold your breath on the moving cache idea. Sax pretty much covered the reasons why they don't allow them anymore. The ones still in existance are grandfathered in.

I might be able to grab a moving cache and move it up to your area next week. That is...if it doesn't move before then...

H20 cache

If you can move one way up here that would be cool. Come on up and check out this beautiful area! There are some great caches to be found here, too. Some not so great ones, also. But, the hunt is always fun! I am still working on a way to create a traveling cache that will work for the approvers. Not holding my breath! But, it never hurts to try. Sometimes it hurts more not to. Did find another way to get my traveling cache but it is only a last choice.

You know that is funny. It made me think. Why is a traveling cache such a problem unless the members who find it don't follow the rules for geocaching. And if they aren't following the rules anyway then what good are the rules? The people who aren't following them are definitely spoilers. A traveling cache is lots of fun for those who want to find them. And if the owner notes that a member didn't follow the rules they could archive the cache immediately with that note. I understand that this is an old issue. But, there must be some way to make it work. Otherwise the ones that are still in exhistence wouldn't be so sought after and would end up archived as problems.

You know that is funny. It made me think. Why is a traveling cache such a problem unless the members who find it don't follow the rules for geocaching. And if they aren't following the rules anyway then what good are the rules? The people who aren't following them are definitely spoilers. A traveling cache is lots of fun for those who want to find them. And if the owner notes that a member didn't follow the rules they could archive the cache immediately with that note. I understand that this is an old issue. But, there must be some way to make it work. Otherwise the ones that are still in exhistence wouldn't be so sought after and would end up archived as problems.

That could run into something about, is ignorance an excuse? If you don't know the rules are you bad for breaking?

Archiving the listing can't always fix everything... or am i misunderstanding what your saying?

Do it like this: Email your nearest approver and tell them what you want to do, cuz if a moving cache just shows up its not going to be listed without a lot of explaining.

Then find an acceptable place where the cache can move about without being a problem (so noone moves is to NPS or other no-no area, ie bad placement), then figure out a range or 'out of bounds' (making the area contained enough so you can visit the cache from time to time, ie. maintenance)

I was speaking of others who should know the geocaching rules but in not following them seem to mess things up for others. Not of something I was planning on doing. I also am not going to put a traveling cache out without permission. Just was saying that I had an idea about that but it was not my first choice. It was suggested that it could act like a travel bug in other caches.... I really don't like the idea but last choice.... Anyway, I have emailed an idea that I really like to my local approver to see if it is possible. We shall see. I WILL abide by his/her decision. Thanks to everyone so far for the input. I really would like to know what you guys think about traveling caches. Do you enjoy them or .....?

One thing you need to consider is that you cannot change the coordinates on your cache very much once it is approved. A traveling cache is not possible anymore. Emailing the reviewer won't help. This is a decision that came from the top. It will not be changed any time soon.

You seem enthusiastic. Focus on all the other types of caches that you CAN hide and you and your fellow local cachers will all be happy. You get to hide a new cache and local cachers get to find it.

(FYI... the original poster closed this topic.)

Edited by mtn-man