Cache Owner's Right To Delete Logs??

coastalfinds

What are the "rules" that an owner must follow before deleting a log on one of their caches? I know in virtual caches, the finder must verify their find or face deletion. Are there any cases in which a log for a traditional cache could be deleted? What about something the owner finds offensive or just plain rude/meanspirited? Can that justify deletion? Or should the owner just send a note to the offensive party and tell them to cool their jets?

I'm new, so I'd like to know anything you could tell me. :blink:

Thanks!

There are no rules, only mores. I'm sure most geocachers would agree with me that legit logs should not be deleted unless they contain profanity, or a blatant spoiler. Even in those cases, I believe the logger should first be given the opportunity to change the log, before the owner deletes it. I find that most of the time a nicely worded e-mail does the trick. If they refuse, then its your right to go ahead and delete it.

If the log is rude, or meanspirited, that's a reflection on the person who wrote the log and I would let it remain. The problem is that what one person considers to be rude or meanspirited can vary. Is calling the area around the cache a "trash heap" mean spirited, or constructive commentary? How about mentioning that the cache location, or the container were not good choices? The way owners would react to a comments like these can vary widely.

We already have too many instances of thin skinned cache owners deleting logs for arbitrary reasons (even because they don't like the person who logged the find) and there are some owners who sanitize their logs and delete any negative comments. That's plain wrong. If the person found the cache (or DNF'ed it), the log should stand. If he is being rude, or nasty, his fellow geocachers will learn a little about him.

Edited by briansnat
You could just encrypt the log and/or e-mail the finder asking them to edit it a bit.....

Yup.

It depends on the cache. If they have a spoiler in thier log I encrypt it. Unless I didn't want a clue then I email them and ask them to change it. Sometimes a find isn't a find though they think it is. I email them in those cases also. Sometimes they comply with my request and sometimes they don't. I delete the dont's.

Like RK, I delete logs that don't comply with the rules of the particular cache. For example, in Classical Cache someone must email some information to me for verification before they can log. There was one person who tried logging a find - twice - without taking that step, and so I deleted them. Otherwise, it wouldn't be fair to everyone else.