New Idea For The Main Website

SirPoonga

But On Topic, It's usually very easy to create a hostname for a domain. And if you have a good web host, it shouldn't cost anything. It would take me about 1 minute to set my.gentlewhisper.com to redirect to www.geocaching.com/my

I don't know what kind of set up GC.com has though.

I thought about allowing a /username kind of idea that sends you to a user's profile, but nothing like my.geocaching.com - it is kinda trivial to implement but there needs to be a lot of folks that want it.

Yeh, the my.geocaching.com seems trivial to me too. Now the /username idea would be cool.

/username won't work!

A lot of users do have the same name, just with different spelling, such as:

Dilbert

dilbert

dilBert

DilBert

(just an example)

And there is also a number of users who have space in their name (example: mr hedberg) and those will be a problem for users running other systems than Windows. I just to have Mac before and had alwasy problem with sites that had a space in the page name, example: www.geocaching.com/mr hedberg

Next issue will be the users who have other kind of letters in their name, such as !?@&/%¤# and so on, example: Father&Son

They can't be accessed either at geocaching.com/Father&Son

Then we have all the users who have local special letters, for example do we in Sweden have three extra letters in our alphabet: ÅÄÖ.

In Norway, Denmark, Germany and a lot of the countries in Europe do it exist some kind of extra letters in each country.

So this idea don't work, unless everybody change their username to something that only exists of 0 to 9, A to Z and these two letters - and _.

And just must enter the name with caps lock if the user have only block letters in his/her username, or without capslock if you want to enter my page. (hedberg)

But perhaps my brother will register Hedberg and in that case, if you write /Hedberg will you see his page and not mine.

So, no... I don't think this will work.

Okay, because sometimes have the website asked me who I am looking for, when I use www.geocaching.com/email and when I enter for example "Captain Morgan", then there is two Captain Morgans.

One more example is "Jeremy", there is a whole list of users which names starts with Jeremy, and for example should a Macintosh user not be able to go to:

www.geocaching.com/Jeremy Irish

www.geocaching.com/Jeremy Airey

They should all end up at www.geocaching.com/Jeremy if I recall it correct from the time I used Mac. Due to the fact on the space between the names.

If /username should be working should all users be required to change their names into 0-9, A-Z and - or _ And no space nor nothing else than those signs.

Nothing like c@cher, Me&Wife, -=John=-, Hip Hopper, Dödstrött, Große, Gûnther, ~Hello~ and so on... And people do use those kind of letters today.

They should all end up at www.geocaching.com/Jeremy if I recall it correct from the time I used Mac. Due to the fact on the space between the names.

In a URL, use a %20 to represent a space.

www.geocaching.com/Jeremy%20Irish

www.geocaching.com/Jeremy%20Airey

are different.

are different.

Hmmm, and how many knows about that?

And users with a lot of unusual letters in their name...?

What is wrong with the system we have today?

are different.

Using a plus sign is easier/shorter.