I Think I Found A Cache & Wasnt Even Playing.

lynniebaby

Hi! I kind of found this board by accident. It was a link on an Urban Exploration website. Anyways, I was reading this site & boards and thought it was pretty cool. I don't have any GPS or what ever you need to play this game & am kind of jealous b/c this is pretty awesome to do. Anyways, I was in Ocean City NJ this weekend & I think we found a film canister relating to this site. We opened the canister & saw that there were some little notes left by some people & we figured it was some sort of game. Anyways, we put the canister back & when we went back the next day ..it was gone. Well, What I wanted to know if the canister was actually something to do with this site? If so would someone please let me know. I think it is cool i found something & wasnt even playing. hehehehe

Have a great day & happy exploring.

~lynn

Please feel feel to email me.

lynniebaby@comcast.net

My website is ...

www.itsapaisleything.com

If you look on the top right side of each cache description page you'll see a cache type. Check the ones that say, "This is a Microc ache."

You can read the descriptions and check out the maps to see one is the cache you think you've found.

If you figure out which cache it is, then post a note mentioning your find and also that it was gone later.

I also found geocaching.com by accident, though not by finding an actual cache. In my case I was searching the 'net for some topographic maps and noticed the word "geocaching" in the search results. Hmmm. Geocaching. Has an interesting sound to it. Wonder what it is? Two hours later, after much additional searching and reading (what topographic maps?) I was out the door to WalMart to buy a GPS receiver and get after my first cache.

There's lots of great info at geocaching.com that'll help you get started - from selecting a GPS receiver to going out for your first hunt. Then, of course, you've found the forums. There're loads of helpful folks here who will patiently answer and explain any questions that you may have.

Welcome, and Have Fun!

I geocache without a GPS (just because I haven't been able to get one as of yet!)...but it can be very exciting to find one just using a map and some instinct...heres what I do...

1) I am still very very new to this so I start with caches with difficulty ratings of 1-2

2) I read the description of the cache as well as the logs...

3) click the link (map) that takes you to mapquest to see where it is...in general, and note cross streets, names of parks etc...

4) Then I go to Lost Outdoors and type the coordinates found on the top of the mapquest page (lat and long) into the area for the map on the lost outdoors site...click 'make map' and you have an aerial view of the cache...

If, from there, it looks like something you should be able to find...using some noticable landmarks, then go for it! I usually look for distance from the closest street, sidewalk, cluster of bushes/trees, any clearings nearby?...how far from these things is the red dot?...it's worked out pretty well for me :lol:

If you can't seem to find it, then decrypt the hint...that usually gets you right to it!

Good luck...

SixTen

Lynniebaby, go to the "About Geocaching" page - click here for answers. We have a cacher in the Northeast with well over 1500 finds that caches without a GPS. He uses topo maps, aerial photos, and a compass. You can also go to GPS garage sale forums to locate a used GPS when someone is upgrading (or e-bay). Do a little research first. Log in here, then click on My Assistant up in the right corner and do a search for any questions you have. I happen to know of one cacher who needs to get a new GPS. Hers is fine, but she can't work the buttons, due to medical issues, and she is looking to sell her Etrex, which is a good model to try first to see if you'll enjoy the game. I myself am addicted to it. Good luck and welcome!

Thank you everyone for your hints & tips. I am in search of a GPS. I was told to go to WalMart for a cheap one but I am still a little new to this. I am not sure if I want to buy a brand new one. Planet if you could set me up with your friend I would be interseted in purchasing theirs.

I am off in search of a cache today with my fiance's kids. I think this site has created a monster.

I just want to thank everyone again for being so nice & helpful.

Have a wonderful day & happy hunting...

~lynn

My Aim is Lynniebaby71

Thats if anyone would like to say hi!

:lol: JAX-Thor leader of the JAX-Clan I have found and captured the cache planted by StressHouse located in grid N30 W081 there are 4 more in the grid I will not say which is captured but the others will be as well. Better hide them well for we are out to capture as many as we can.

JAX-Clan