Main Page Looks Wacky

pdxmarathonman

At work behind a checkpoint firewall the main page looks wacky and has for months. At home using the same computer but different firewall and everything looks fine. I haven't mentioned it because it looks like my "problem" has to be caused by the company firewall.

I recently started seeing this text problem on the Main Page of Geocaching too. For me it is a problem in Internet Explorer V6.0 at any size text. The Main Page displays fine in Netscape V7.1

Here is what the messed up Main Page looks like:

bd878faf-9e7d-42aa-b017-59f4b8b58339.jpg

This is quite annoying and hopefully can be fixed soon!

Well the css page has to be pulled in by the browser to make the page it references to be usable. It is possible that the firewall is set to stop css pages from coming through. The block may be a reaction to malware being inserted into css pages to slip under the radar.

SpywareInfo has this to say about it in a 2003 article:

Since June 10, someone has been distributing a browser hijack that spawns an offscreen pop up window which opens a page at datanotary.com.

The hijack is accomplished by inserting javascript into a Cascading Style Sheet (CSS) file, then hijacking Internet Explorer's accessibility options to force it to use that style sheet. When activated, the javascript makes use of an obscure and proprietary Microsoft CSS extension to create the pop up window.

No, restarting IE and/or restarting my PC does not fix this problem.

It also doesn't matter what font size I use (by scrolling the fonts with my mouse wheel or by choosing from Smallest to Largest) the text always overlaps like that.

Again, this doesn't happen in Netscape only in Internet Explorer.

Ah, I have a 24-inch Wide screen High Resolution Monitor which I have set to 1900 x 1200. In the Advanced Plug and Play Monitor and NVIDIA Vanta/Vanta LT Properties there is a Display setting:

If your screen resolution makes screen items too small to view comfortably, you can increase the DPI to compensate. To change font sizes only, click Cancel and go to the Appearance tab.

DPI setting:

Large size (120 DPI)

125% normal size (120 dpi)

I changed that from "Normal size (96 DPI)".

I believe this caused this problem to start happening.

Also, the map of caches displays incorrectly too.

Strangely both the Main Page and the cache map displays correctly in Netscape.

If your screen resolution makes screen items too small to view comfortably, you can increase the DPI to compensate. To change font sizes only, click Cancel and go to the Appearance tab.

I was having the same problem. I had also changed the default DPI setting on my display. I changed it back to "normal" as you suggested, and the problem went away. Thanks for the suggestion!

MJ