Portland Cache Machine - Hotel Recommendations?

MrPeabody

I am planning on attending the Portland Cache Machine, driving down from Vancouver on the 25th of June. I'd like to stay somewhere in town, but being notoriously cheap, I'd like to find a good value/comfort ratio.

I checked out the Portland Oregon Visitor's Association (POVA) site and found their Cool Summer Deals section, but the list doesn't mean much to me other than the marketing-speak descriptions written by their promotions team.

Based on this list provided can anyone give me recommendations on what places to stay, what places to avoid, or a recommendation for anywhere else that isn't on the list?

Thanks, and I hope to see you all at the PCM.

MrPeabody

Edited by MrPeabody

We are actually bringing our motorhome down to this CM. In the past people have stayed at a variety of places. Sometimes gathering at one in particular that is dog-friendly.

When MR WD and I go on our own personal Cache-O-Ganza's and spend the night, our favorites are the Motel 8's. We always know what to expect and they are the most reasonable prices around in our opinion. You might check to see if Portland has one.

We will be bringing our trailer too, and we usually use the Columbia River RV Park, they do Good Sam, , are priced okay, are okay with pets and seem to be near the start of the hunting. But let us know where most will stay as we will try to make reservations.

Thanks for your replies, but only one person answered my question (kind of).

Someone noted that they got a great deal at the Doubletree at Jantzen Beach through Hotwire, but didn't mention if it was a nice hotel/location or anything else. Additionally, reservations made through Hotwire only release the name of the hotel *after* purchase. So I'll never really know if it's the same location.

I got a recommendation for 2 chains (Motel 6 and Super 8), but no recommendations for a specific location (ie: to go to or to stay away from). This isn't very useful as the entire point of me starting this thread is that I have never been to Portland, and I need help in choosing a location. Not a chain.

I also wasn't asking about campers or campgrounds, as I fairly clearly noted that I would be staying in a hotel.

Has anyone stayed in a Hotel/Motel in Portland that they felt as though they got a good deal? Or it was a nice location?

Thanks! :rolleyes:

MrPeabody

Thanks for your replies, but only one person answered my question (kind of).

Someone noted that they got a great deal at the Doubletree at Jantzen Beach through Hotwire, but didn't mention if it was a nice hotel/location or anything else.  Additionally, reservations made through Hotwire only release the name of the hotel *after* purchase.  So I'll never really know if it's the same location.

I got a recommendation for 2 chains (Motel 6 and Super 8), but no recommendations for a specific location (ie: to go to or to stay away from).  This isn't very useful as the entire point of me starting this thread is that I have never been to Portland, and I need help in choosing a location.  Not a chain.

I also wasn't asking about campers or campgrounds, as I fairly clearly noted that I would be staying in a hotel.

Has anyone stayed in a Hotel/Motel in Portland that they felt as though they got a good deal?  Or it was a nice location? 

Thanks!  :lol:

MrPeabody

I live in Portland, so I have never stayed in any hotels here. You say you are cheap, but want a nice place. You pay for what you get just about anywhere. Besides, I would think that due to the mad schedule Travisl has laid out for the two days of caching, the only use for a hotel room is to take a shower and fall asleep on the bed before you get back up and do it all over again the next day. :rolleyes:

Do you really want to drive 10-20 miles to a good deal at a hotel after driving around for 120 miles all day for 12-15 hours? ...and staying up late each night for the gatherings?

Here is a link to most of the hotel rooms that are in or near Troutdale. This is where the cache machine starts each day and where dinner is the first night. The first six are all only a few miles and a five minute drive from the starting location and are in nice areas.

If you want a memorable stay where you can walk around some great surroundings, play a little pitch and putt golf, sample some great beer and wine, and have only a walk out the door in the morning to begin you caching... stay here

Edited by Navdog
I live in Portland, so I have never stayed in any hotels here. You say you are cheap, but want a nice place. You pay for what you get just about anywhere.

Get what you pay for, agreed. When I said 'nice place', I wasn't referring to a 5-star Platinum Travellers Only location. I was referring to: Don't want to be fighting roaches for floor space in the washroom, and/or don't want to end up in "the wrong part of town". Not being from Portland, there is little way for me to know the answer to either question without some insight.

Plus, there are almost always gems that are known only to locals, for which I was making an appeal to those of you who live in/near Portland and are, presumably, in the know.

Do you really want to drive 10-20 miles to a good deal at a hotel after driving around for 120 miles all day for 12-15 hours? ...and staying up late each night for the gatherings?

No, which is exactly why I was looking for some advice on where to stay.

Here is a link to most of the hotel rooms that are in or near  Troutdale.

Excellent... thanks. Anyone know anything about any of these locations?

If you want a memorable stay ... stay here

Thanks.... that looks like a nice place! Maybe they have a discount available.

I'm considering, but by no means have decided on, the $20 one-bed hostel at McMenamins.  If I can talk my wife into going on her first ever cache machine, then I'll end up choosing somewhere else.

Travis I too am considering the $20 one-bed hostel.

I called and talked to them about the Hostel and it's first come first serve.

So if you don't make a reservation and the beds are full then the way I see it were stuck out altogether. If you do make a reservation and they have a hostel bed then you can't cancel your reservation cause it's to late, you get charged for the room so you might at well stay in the room. Do you see where I'm going with this?

Pepper

Edited by Team SuperGenius

Well I just opted for comfort over economy. Booked a room through expedia.com for the Comfort Inn & Suites in Troutdale. The AAA rate for a queen non-smoking room was $52 per night. It's near the start and offers a few more amenities than the hostel.

Edited by Wander Lost

Mr. Peabody, trust me on this.

Whatever ya got booked, cancel it NOW (if possible) and get yourself a room at Edgefield :huh::o:D

You will thank us later! :D

Either that or get yourself a room at the Kennedy School That last one is not a school, it's a bed and breakfast kinda place that used to be a school. Seriously nice work done on the building, and facinating place.

Man, I tell ya, coming to Portland and booking a room at some ordinary motel that ISN'T part of the McMenamin's chain is like going to one of our incredible artisan brewpubs and ordering a bleepin' Budweiser. Talkin' about missing the point!!! :blink:

If ya gonna do that, ya might as well cancel the trip and find some cookie-cutter hotel in the most really boring town you can find in Nebraska, or somethin'! :D

Edgefield is one of those unique experiences/places that makes one truly proud to be a Portlander. :D

Take your pick between the hostel section of the place OR the luxury rooms, and everything in between.

Edited by Sparrowhawk
Well I just opted for comfort over economy.  Booked a room through expedia.com for the Comfort Inn & Suites in Troutdale.  The AAA rate for a queen non-smoking room was $52 per night.    It's near the start and offers a few more amenities than the hostel.

:o Hey! I thought you guys were taking the trailer down. Gonna go high class huh? But that is a very good price!

Don't want to hang with the "trailer people" huh? :blink:

ACTUALLY, I'm jealous. I'll be squeezing myself into our teensy shower, in our teensy motor home, holding teensy soap and the teesny shower head at the same time, hopeing I don't fill up the teesny tank too fast. :D

Edited by Wienerdog
Edgefield is one of those unique experiences/places that makes one truly proud to be a Portlander.  :lol:

It is unique, but it has also been booked for weeks. We've stayed there several times and enjoyed it. Not sure a cache machine would be the best time to appreciate it, though. The nearby AAA Travelodge is $33 + tax a night.