Whats The Coordinates For Where I Am Going?

HustlerPete

ok people.. hopefully an easy question for you.. I am going away this weekend and plan on doing some geocaching at my destination (happens to be a lake area here in arizona).. I want to run a search for the ones near and around that lake but do not know the coordinates of the lake for the search..

How would I do this??

Thanks in advance.

Pete

I want to run a search for the ones near and around that lake but do not know the coordinates of the lake for the search

Being relativly new myself, but having done most of my caching out of town I have used my mapping software to get the coords for the place I will be staying. I have also seen some recomend using the major map sites and searching on the address and then the coords will be in the URL for the displayed page.

Wrlwnd

Even if the zip code associated with your area of interest is centered in a town at a distance from the lake (or whatever), it's still a good way to get started.

If you know the lake is west of Ziptown, you can scan the list of caches near Ziptown looking for any that are to the west of there, pick one, find the nearby caches to _that_ one, and so on until you find what's near your real target.

Or, if you have an idea that the lake is about twenty miles north of Ziptown you could take the coordinates for downtown Ziptown and add about twenty minutes, and search around those estimated coordinates.

If you are a premium member and know the zip code where the lake is located, you can enter that code from the geocaching main page. This, as you probably know, will take you to a page with a number of caches listed. Click on the "map it" link at the top of the page. This will bring up a map that you can use to zero in on the lake and find all the nearest caches. Always works for me!