Can A Cache Be Placed Underwater?

SilverSeeker

I am new at this and was wondering if a cache can be placed underwater? Like at the edge of a lake under no more than 6 inches of water.

Thanks

SilverSeeker

It may be 6 inches now but what will it be after 3 days of spring rains? Is this cache going to be anywhere that might freeze up? 6 inches of ice is a lot more difficult than 6 inches of water.

Other than that, Yes! But PLEASE leave some sort of clue that it is immersed so that folks don't think there are any errors.

I`m thinking of hiding a cache under water as a multi with a large magnet as a 1st or second find.Find said magnet...go to waypoint ,drop magnet into water (hanging on cord of course),pull up metal waterproof cont.SL.Whadya think? Still in R&D right now. :lol:

Sounds more like it would be a dredging operation to me. Very rarely have I had published coords and reception match up closely enough that dropping a magnet (or a rock, or just looking straight down) would have gotten me close enough to the cache that a magnet would have found it.

Maybe if it were submerged alongside the leg of a pier or some other waterborne landmark, but I doubt that very many people would be too successful at just dropping a magnet straight down at the coords and pulling in your "fish".

Edit: Rereading my response, it sounds pretty pessimistic. I like the idea of a waterborne cache. I'm just not sure of the feasibility of using "magnetic fishing" for a retrieval method.

Edited by Seamus
You can hide it under the water

You can hide it with your daughter

You can hide it with your mom

You can make it look like a bomb

You can hide it under a rock

You can hide it under the dock

You can hide in the tree

You can mail it to me

If I mail it to you, then find it, can I log it? :lol:

Do ammo cans float?

depends what's inside... :blink:

nfa

Should probably also keep in mind that when it is submerged, you will not only have water pressure trying to cause leaks, but the air inside will cool to the temperature of the water, and contract a bit, causing a slight vacuum as well. Figuring that ammo cans - specifically, the rubber compression seals - are typically surplus of unknown vintage, take all of this into account before planning to sink a cache in a can.

You might want to outfit a can as you would for the cache, sink it in place, leave it there for anywhere from a week to a month, and then retrieve it and determine if it will serve your purposes.

I`m thinking of hiding a cache under water as a multi with a large magnet as a 1st or second find.Find said magnet...go to waypoint ,drop magnet into water (hanging on cord of course),pull up metal waterproof cont.SL.Whadya think? Still in R&D right now. :blink:

Cool idea, but I think the biggest challenge is finding a magnet that is stronger than the water currents in the area. The cache has to be weighted enough to stay in place, but light enough that when someone uses a magnet to attach to the cache, it can be retrieved.

For one of my caches, I used a 6# weight to keep it in place. I don't know if they make a magnet strong enough to lift that kind of weight. I do have that cache on tide flats where currents can be quite strong.

Instead of using a magnet to find the cache, you might have better luck to use the magnet to attach to a rope that is connected to the cache. That should be pretty easy to lift out of the water then you can do the heavy lifting with a rope instead of a magnet.

Good luck!

:blink: I appreciate this topic, 'cause we wanted to know here, too.

-Do you just wade out a few feet and set it down?

-Do you use a buoy and string?

-Do you put it under a rock?

-Stick it under a log, or under the bank?

-This year in Ohio a bridge got pushed over next to my cache (it's a few feet higher) by all the water. I can't imagine a cache that can stand it. :o

More questions: Can we isolate UW caches on the website and search for close ones to go see? How can we find one, other than infinite searches?

Edited by Robespierre
:blink: I appreciate this topic, 'cause we wanted to know here, too.

-Do you just wade out a few feet and set it down?

-Do you use a buoy and string?

-Do you put it under a rock?

-Stick it under a log, or under the bank?

-This year in Ohio a bridge got pushed over next to my cache (it's a few feet higher) by all the water.  I can't imagine a cache that can stand it. :o

Here is how I did mine: Liberty Bay Resort Cache.

I walked out onto the mudflats and placed this cache. During low tide, it is just sitting on the rocks. During high tide it is under a few feet of water depending on the height of the tide. Other cachers can only reach it during high tide since the tresspassing on private property is not permitted. I weighted the cache with a weight and attached a rope and buoy.