Gpsr Settings

Team ARK-ville

I have a Magellan GPS Blazer 12 I have been using for the past couple months and have had good success with finding caches. However I am only able to set the receiver for LAT/LON using degree/minutes or degree/minutes/seconds or UTM. I have the meter set for degree/minutes but it will not accept the complete numbers given on the cache locations. It will only accept 6 digits for north coordinates and 7 for west coordinates. Would I be better off using the UTM setting? I think because of the limit of numerals accepted I am not getting as close to the caches as I could be. It seems that most are within 100 feet or so when the meter zeros. Any suggestions, besides buying a new GPS? Thanks

Edited by arkville

I use a Garmin Vista and have never had to deal with the kind of issue you describe. Sorry, I'm not much help. Hopefully a couple of Magellan users can respond to this thread. If not, you may consider looking at the 'GPS Units and Software' discussion listed in the Groundspeak Forums. Good luck.

I've used the same GPS and didn't find the two-digit resolution to be a problem. When entering the coordinates, I left off the last digit and usually managed to get within 100 feet or so of the cache, after which I used a good ol' fashioned compass to transfer the bearing from the GPS.

Don't think you can't hunt successfully with this GPS, you can. It might take a little more time, but that's half the fun.

0.005 minutes = 0.3 seconds.

0.3 seconds in Lat and 0.3 seconds in Long by me = approx 37 feet.

15 meters (accuracy of handheld) = 50 feet.

I don't normally complain about <50 feet difference between mine and the setters. Yes, we always think we are right, but I know I'm not. <_<

If you would like to be able to get a lot closer to the cache there is a simple trick you can use if your display shows the XX*XX.XXX format.

Write the cache coordinates on a small piece of paper (like a post-it-note), then when you get within 100+ feet of the cache switch to the display screen and compare coordinates. When the coordinates match you will be within 6 feet of the spot + or - any error in the signal.

With a little practice you will know which direction to move to get the cordinates to match up.

Good luck and happy caching

John