Cache-cadians

The Navigatorz

HIKE OF MAY!

SATURDAY MAY 24 @ 7:30

HORSELAKE MT. CACHE IS: Green Grasshopper and Motorcycle Man GC1BQ4C elevation 4589'

The hike is 3.5 miles to the top so 7 miles roundtrip. Not sure where we will meet as there is parking at the gate at the end of Number 2 Canyon but not sure how much parking. Maybe we can park at the WRAC and then consolidate our vehicles there? Not sure how much public parking is available there either.

Any interest?

Will try to make it. Someone needs to take the pokey position so it might as well be me!

Good News about the Wenatchee Foothills Trails! This evening, the Land Trust just completed excavating a new trail that connects The Sage Hills Trail system to Horse Lake Road. I drove up Horse Lake Road this evening and met the chairman of the Land Trust Committee. He told me that they just finsihed the trail at the other end using a Kubota. This means that there is now a contunuous trail that goes from #1 Canyon all the way to Horse Lake Road. They plan to expand the parking area there now with toilets, and they will install a kiosk with signs identifying the trail system.

This is the first of four major pieces of improvements in the Wenatchee Foothills Trails. The others include a loop in the Horse Lake area with a trail to Forest Service property and Twin Peaks; a trailhead at the upper end of Castlerock Avenue and new trail to the ridge and on to Twin Peaks; and improvements to trails around Saddle Rock.

We're very fortunate to have this scenic trail system developed for our enjoyment.

Edited by The Navigatorz

I mapped out the hike to Twin Peaks (Horse Lake Mountain).

a49299fb-5de3-481b-a198-d1110c3b5909.jpg

The green line represents Number 2 Canyon Road. The red line is the road/trail we will be hiking. Where they intersect (the trailhead) is located about 4 miles from the WRAC (racquet club). We'll park cars at the gate and hike in from there. It appears the first mile is a gradual incline through a large meadow. At mile 1, the trail then starts to climb to the top of the ridge. Approximately 1.75 miles in you reach the top of the ridge and will look down into Number 1 Canyon and the Wenatchee Valley to the east. The trail then continues to climb up the ridge to Twin Peaks. At mile 3 we will be near the South Peak, which is the highest of the two, at elevation 4621 feet. Continuing another 1/2 mile is the North Peak, our destination, at elevation 4586 feet, where the new cache (GC1BQ4C) is located.

Here is the same map, in 3-D

e4cc0d12-b363-48f1-84e0-b2c10e548283.jpg

I found a gallery of photos taken by hikers who have been there LINK

It looks like a great hike with some awesome views.

WOW, thanks for the maps and link Nav. That really inspired me. I am really looking forward to this hike. I may even bring a friend or two along if you all don't mind. They are my hiking friends and don't geocache but they tolerate me when we go hiking. They actually get kind of a kick out of it but just don't bother with going on line to make a them official. I know they would love this hike.

Thanks for the maps Nav- those are great! It really looks like a great hike! The more the merrier! I wonder how long to allow for the hike? The Sage Hills hike took 5 hours round trip but that looks like it was a more difficult hike terrain wise, and trail wise (which way to go?).

I just want to mention how cool it is to see the Cache-cadian forums pop up on the top of the list! We aren't very active posters are we?

I think this will be a great hike and am very much looking forward to exercising off the pizza I plan on enjoying at the event on May 22. :)

I think this will be a great hike and am very much looking forward to exercising off the pizza I plan on enjoying at the event on May 22. :D

457da6a7-ee98-41d3-a690-72487e94046c.jpg

I took this picture this morning from East Wenatchee. Horse Lake Mountain (also known as Twin Peaks) Elevation 4621 feet, towers over other Wenatchee Foothills landmarks (Saddle Rock, Castle Rock, Sage Hills).

Edited by The Navigatorz

So do we know how many are going on the hike? We should carpool from the WRAC parking lot for a couple of reasons, one is that the road is rough after the pavement ends and requires a high clearance rig, and the other reason is there is not much room for more than about 3 vehicles at the trailhead. I can take four in the Navigator besides myself. I called the WRAC and got permission for us to park vehicles in their parking lot.

I'm looking forward to the hike. It should be a lot of fun. I heard there may be a couple more caches up there to find. :P

Patudles and I drove to the end of Castlerock Ave. yesterday, to glance around and see where an "official" Castlerock trailhead might be in the future. I was surprised at how much open land is at the end there. The hike up to Castlerock looks like it would be harder from there, than where most people hike now (I believe, from the end of Castle Heights Dr.). That's too bad, but I can understand why they would choose Castlerock Ave. over Castle Heights Dr.

So do we know how many are going on the hike? We should carpool from the WRAC parking lot for a couple of reasons, one is that the road is rough after the pavement ends and requires a high clearance rig, and the other reason is there is not much room for more than about 3 vehicles at the trailhead. I can take four in the Navigator besides myself. I called the WRAC and got permission for us to park vehicles in their parking lot.

I'm looking forward to the hike. It should be a lot of fun. I heard there may be a couple more caches up there to find. :huh:

I can bring the Suburban if needed. I can take 2-6 additional bodies. :huh: I am sure that is how I will feel by the time I arrive back to the car. (A body - a dead one)

Thanks Patudles, for telling us about the Cache-cadians forum. And thanks for the notes about our 1000th. We enjoyed meeting you all last night. Good luck on your hike tomorrow. Will look at the caches you mentioned for everyone's posts. Cathy and Bruce of Team Pazooter

Thanks for the kudos on the milestone. It took me 4 months to get that last 100! Wow that is bad math right there! Gas prices will not have a positive impact either! That's okay, it isn't about the numbers or the FTFs right!?!?! It's about the HIKES!

So tomorrow SATURDAY, MAY 24 @ 7:30 meet at the WRAC for carpooling up number 2 to the trailhead. We will bring three vehicles: Patudles, Navigatorz and mmauvil. See you all tomorrow!!!

NOTE- We can reassess at the parking in the event of pouring rain. Fingers crossed for nice weather so we have some decent views from the top!

NOTE- We can reassess at the parking in the event of pouring rain. Fingers crossed for nice weather so we have some decent views from the top!

I hope you all have a wonderful time, but how about everyone doing the "no-rain-dance" for my daughter's OUTSIDE wedding tomorrow!!!! :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: Sorry, y'all, for snatching all the FTFs on my run up there this week. It was a good one, with great views, but I did feel bad after realizing that I'd nabbed them ahead of the hikers.

I will say that the hike is awesome, and well worthwhile. The meadow is beautiful, and the view are very nice. It was windy and cold when I ran up, and I'm sure tomorrow it will be more so with the rain forecast. Good luck.... I wasn't able to do this scheduled hike but hope to join one of them sometime.

From what I can see, it's sunny, with nice fluffy clouds. A good day to be outside, whether you're going caching, or getting married! ;) Hope everyone had a good day. :rolleyes:

Yay for the weather! Glad the sunshine was out for the wedding Robinego!

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who came out for the hike today! I really enjoyed visiting and hiking with everyone. It was a great hike with great company. As the baby gets bigger, I will have a little more time and won't have to ditch out early. I hope that we can continue our monthly hiking outings so where shall we go for June??

;) Sorry, y'all, for snatching all the FTFs on my run up there this week. It was a good one, with great views, but I did feel bad after realizing that I'd nabbed them ahead of the hikers.

I will say that the hike is awesome, and well worthwhile. The meadow is beautiful, and the view are very nice. It was windy and cold when I ran up, and I'm sure tomorrow it will be more so with the rain forecast. Good luck.... I wasn't able to do this scheduled hike but hope to join one of them sometime.

No problem MG! I hid a new one so you have the chance to go up again in better weather for another FTF! :rolleyes:

Edited by g-people

What an awesome day!!! Let's do this again...and again...and again... :rolleyes:

Here are a few pics:

f1d81e6f-7910-423d-b8d6-15b2ac862308.jpg

At the trailhead and ready to head out. Left to Right: K-Ddid, The Navigatorz, tenya, g-people, MAX-X (Mr. and Mrs.), Mrs. Gadget #2, mmauvil, Patudles, and Mr. Gadget #2

cd02e53a-6b8a-49d6-b243-e4a2ca8135e3.jpg

Part of the group as we're heading down from the top. Columbia River in background.

684be5c1-de19-4704-b183-4bbd8a0d8ebc.jpg

At the intersection between the Twin Peaks.

.... so where shall we go for June??

How about hiking the Devils Gulch trail up Mission Creek. There is a cache called Journey to the Center of WA which from the trailhead at the Mission Creek road makes for a 7 mile RT hike. What's interesting about this cache is that its located at the official geographical center of Washington state. Evidently there is a benchmark near the cache for the geographical center. This cache has only had 3 finders in 3 years, and they all 3 found it on the same day, May 30, 2005. Maybe we should give it some more visitors?

1a53d047-3e6a-46f1-a0c0-9b40ccfb43bb.jpg

How about hiking the Devils Gulch trail up Mission Creek. There is a cache called Journey to the Center of WA which from the trailhead at the Mission Creek road makes for a 7 mile RT hike. What's interesting about this cache is that its located at the official geographical center of Washington state. Evidently there is a benchmark near the cache for the geographical center. This cache has only had 3 finders in 3 years, and they all 3 found it on the same day, May 30, 2005. Maybe we should give it some more visitors?

I really like this idea! Other ideas could be doing Marion and Clara and Clara Lake Twofer; or the Elk View, A Beautiful View, Mission Peak Trail, On Tudle's pond hike. Not sure if we can get to the last group with the road construction up by Mission Ridge.

Rumor has it that there is going to be another event June 22 so are there other dates people would like to do the HOTM?

I really like this idea! Other ideas could be doing Marion and Clara and Clara Lake Twofer; or the Elk View, A Beautiful View, Mission Peak Trail, On Tudle's pond hike. Not sure if we can get to the last group with the road construction up by Mission Ridge.

For the caches up on Mission Ridge, you will most likely encounter lots of snow, even in June. The lakes (Clara and Marion) are at 5500 ft elevation and the others mentioned above are at 6500 feet elevation and higher. That would be a good July hike. A couple of years ago they were found on June 11, but the cachers had to walk an extra mile due to snow.

The Devils Gulch however should already be free of snow. The trailhead is at 1760 feet and the cache (Journey to Center of WA) is at 2620 feet EL.

Someone asked about going further and getting the next cache on the trail. It's called Devils Mission and its an additional 2 miles past the Journey to Center of WA cache. So if we did both caches, the total round trip distance from trailhead to Devils Mission cache is 12 miles round trip, with a 1600 foot elevation gain. My guess is that would take 6 hours round trip.

Edited by The Navigatorz

How far is the entire trail- from Mission Creek TH all the way up to Beehive Devil's Gulch TH. If we did the entire trail one way instead of round trip it could be shorter but then we would have to coordinate the car pooling. Then it would seem smarter to start at the top and hike down to Mission Creek. But- that would be a lot of driving and coordinating which is also time consuming. Hmmm.

How about June 7?

Edited by g-people

How far is the entire trail- from Mission Creek TH all the way up to Beehive Devil's Gulch TH. If we did the entire trail one way instead of round trip it could be shorter but then we would have to coordinate the car pooling. Then it would seem smarter to start at the top and hike down to Mission Creek. But- that would be a lot of driving and coordinating which is also time consuming. Hmmm.

How about June 7?

Okay, here's the Devils Gulch trail stats:

Elevations:

Trailhead at Liberty-Beehive Road: 5037 feet

Devils Mission cache: 3368 feet

Journey to center of WA cache: 2620 feet

Trailhead at Mission Creek Road: 1760 feet

Distances:

Trailhead at Liberty-Beehive Road to Devils Mission cache: 4.5 miles

Devils Mission cache to Journey to center of WA cache: 2.5 miles

Journey to Center of WA cache to Mission Creek trailhead: 3.5 miles

That should help in the decision for our hike. So here are the scenarios:

1) Park at Liberty-Beehive road, hike to Devils Mission only, and return: 9 miles RT miles with 1669 feet elevation change (downhill in, uphill out)

2) Park at Mission Creek trailhead, hike to Journey to Center of WA, and return: 7 miles RT with 860 feet elevation change (uphill in - downhill out)

3) Park at Liberty-Beehive trailhead, hike to Mission Creek trailhead, getting both caches along the way, and getting rides back to the Liberty-Trailhead: 10.5 miles one-way with 3277 feet elevation change (downhill all the way)

4) Reverse option 3, uphill all the way

5) Park at Mission Creek Road and hike to both caches and return: 12 miles RT with 1608 feet elevation change (uphill in - downhill out)

6) Park at Liberty-Beehive Trailhead and hike to both caches and return: 14 miles RT with 2407 feet elevation change (downhill in - uphill out)

How's that? And June 7 works for me.

Edited by The Navigatorz

How about June 7?

I have far too many events scheduled for June 7, and would not be able to join in on this one.

Wow Nav, Thanks! I think option 2 will be best time and distance wise. The other options are more like day committments that I can't do yet with the baby's eating schedule.

We could meet at the Easy St. Park and Ride and carpool to the Mission Creek trailhead.

How about June 1? Yes, that is next Sun already but I think the majority can do it. The other date option would be the June 28th, 29th. Thoughts?

Wow Nav, Thanks! I think option 2 will be best time and distance wise. The other options are more like day committments that I can't do yet with the baby's eating schedule.

We could meet at the Easy St. Park and Ride and carpool to the Mission Creek trailhead.

How about June 1? Yes, that is next Sun already but I think the majority can do it. The other date option would be the June 28th, 29th. Thoughts?

June 1 and June 28 are open for me! But if I can't make it work this time, I'll catch the July hike!

Rumor has it that there is going to be another event June 22 so are there other dates people would like to do the HOTM?

That's a cool looking hike. (Yes I keyed on the HOTM) :D

If the timing is right (read this: IF I can convince my wife :anibad: ), I might join you folks.

I was reminded of my overnighter at Mt Rainier CITO on June 7.

Edited by TotemLake

I would love to do this one but I fear my body is not ready for the long versions including both caches so I would only be able to do the 7 mile version. However, I might not even be able to do that. I am leaving on vacation June 2 and will not return till approx. June 18. (Not positive of return date yet beings it is a road trip) So it looks like the 28th is the only date open for me. However if you choose the Mission Peak trail it won't matter to me as I have already done, did that trail but snow is still visible up there so that hike should wait another month. Best time for that group of caches is July, Aug,and Sept.

I thoroughly enjoyed the hike up Twin Peaks even though I came back and took a nap after I got home. (something almost unheard of for me to do)

Edited by Patudles

Option 3 sounds longer than it really is. I've done it on my bike several times. It isn't the knee killer it would seem for the downhill because it is spread over a long distance. I was at Beehive on Sunday and didn't see snow. I know the upper trailhead is a bit higher than the lake, but not by much. I've found the caches in question, so I won't be joining y'all, but it sounds like fun! Arguing for the top to bottom route: all downhill, 2 caches, and finally, but maybe most important, the views are awesome. Doing the bottom to Center of WA doesn't allow you to look down on anything. It is just a walk through the forest.

Doing the bottom to Center of WA doesn't allow you to look down on anything. It is just a walk through the forest.

According to Maptech, there is another trail that parallels the Devils Gulch trail. It starts at the same trailhead on Mission Creek, but instead of heading up Devils Gulch, it goes up the ridgeline that seperates Devils Gulch from Mission Ridge. Have you been on that trail? It appears it reconnects with the Devils Gulch trail beyond the Devils Mission cache. I wonder if we could hike the ridge trail to a point, then cut down the hillside to the Journey cache and return to cars on the Devils Gulch trail, making a loop?

I'm thinking about hiking up Sauer Mountain this weekend. Does anyone want to go with me? Its a 6 mile RT hike to incredible views. There is a cache at the beginning of the hike called Sauer Rock (will drop off replacement cache for owner), a multi in the middle called Welcome Friends, and the one at the top called Sweet and Sauer To Go. Let me know by email as I will be traveling today and tomorrow and won't be back in the forums until tomorrow night.

I'm thinking about hiking up Sauer Mountain this weekend. Does anyone want to go with me? Its a 6 mile RT hike to incredible views. There is a cache at the beginning of the hike called Sauer Rock (will drop off replacement cache for owner), a multi in the middle called Welcome Friends, and the one at the top called Sweet and Sauer To Go. Let me know by email as I will be traveling today and tomorrow and won't be back in the forums until tomorrow night.

Do you think that my 5 and 7 year-olds could do this one? If so, I could go Sunday a.m.

CONGRATS to Navigatorz on reaching 2400!!!!

CONGRATS to Mr. Gadget #2 on reaching 2300!!!!

Congrats to both of you. When life slows down for me, I plan on joining in on some of the fun! Didja get it at the same cache together and if so, which one?

Our June Hike will be SATURDAY JUNE 28~We will do the Devil's Gulch Trail to the cache Journey to the Center of WA. Check out the map above. Details to follow..