Tree Cover

I tried for a cache yesterday in fairly heavy tree cover. My GPSr was all over the place and so was I. Couldn't find the cache. I went back to my computer and saw that there were no DNF's on this one. Everyone found it even though some said that the tree cover was such that their GPSr's were bouncing all over the place. I am relatively inexperienced in this with only 35 or so finds. What are some of the techniques some of you use when you can't rely on technology. I know about using common sense when you're within 50 to 100 feet of your technology, but what about when you really don't have great tecnology. Thanks.

I know about using common sense when you're within 50 to 100 feet of your technology, but what about when you really don't have great tecnology. Thanks.

Use the same technique, only expand your area and try to think like a geocacher that would hide a cache rather than look for one. Make big use of the hints and logs. As much as people try not to give away hints in their logs, there will be something written that will give you clues like, "the signal had me on the wrong side of the path." Things like that will help you to effectively and logically hunt down your prey. It might take 2 or 3 visits before you finally figure it out. I had one cache take me 6 weeks and another a month to find. Each time I visited, I looked at the location a little differently, and maybe scour as discreetly as possible and with as little damage to the area as possible a small area at a time.

One thing that SEEMS to help is to get the best lock that you can before you enter the tree cover. I don't think it makes any technical sense but, somehow, it seems easier to KEEP a lock under the trees than it is to GET A LOCK.

Comments anyone?

That is key. This way the GPS knows where the sats are and can re-gain them quickly if it does lose a lock. Also make sure you're holding the GPS the way it will get the best reception. For example, the Garmin eTrex line must be held flat, face up to get the best reception, while a Garmin Map 76 likes to be vertical. If you have a unit that accepts an external antenna, get one.

Another trick is to use a compass and find an area where the tree cover is lighter, or perhaps a meadow where there is no tree cover. Get a good lock, then project your waypoint with the compass.

Use the FORCE Luke!!!!

Okay that sounds a bit silly but it works. Out here in the Great Northwest, caching under heavy tree cover is normal. Sometimes our EPE runs in the 40's but usually it's in the teens. You just learn to let your GPS get you to the right area then put it away and start hunting.

Put down the GPS unitl in re-acquires. Give it time.

Lately I've been playing with a GPS that plugs into the CF slot of my PPC. It had two settings. Regular is like my Vista and XT sensitive. In that mode, where my Vista picks up 1 or 2 or none, it'll pick up 5-6 and locks solid.

Alan

Edited by Alan2