Tourist Info Packages

Insp Gadget

I contacted NB Tourism with an idea a year ago and no big surprise I didn't hear anything back from them.

Would it be a good idea to put a Lat/Lon on each featured place? With the number of GPS units on the rise, I think this info would be great to have. You wouldn't have to follow directions, just enter the coordinates and voila!

What do you guys think?

Personally I think it would be a great idea, and in a geocaching forum you're not likely to get a lot of dissenters. But realistically I think the percentage of the general public who would find it useful is too small, and the percentage who would find it confusing too high, for them to consider it a good idea just yet.

Maybe as more cars are on the road with onboard GPS systems this may change. Then again, the public likes to be spoon fed information in formats they're already comfortable with, so it's more likely the trend will be cars with text-rich databases, so you enter a place name and it'll figure out the coordinates internally. I think making lat-long more mainstream would be a good idea, but I don't see it happening.

SylvrStorm

I think guidebooks with coord's may be coming. We recently got a book that features the locations in New Zealand where the Lord of the Rings movies were made, because we are hoping to go to NZ for a holiday in a year or two. The book does give Latitude and Longitude for a lot of the locations, which is great, because then we'll be able to kill two birds with one stone: visit a spot featured in one of the movies and get a nearby cache or two while we're at it! :lol:

One of the Saskatchewan Tourism sites I visited recently has GPS coordinates prominently listed for the various tourist locations => http://interactive.usask.ca/ski/tourism/secrets/

Certainly brings these spots up a notch or tow in my books. Not only am I more motivated to go check them out, but I may actually stand a chance of finding some of these spots... (most are much bigger than the standard tupperware caching containers :blink: )

Elaine & Bruce, Regina, SK

PEI offers this service - www.gov.pe.ca - go to the address locater, enter the address, then ask for the details. You get the long/lat address in those details. I've used it quite a bit lately, as I'm headed east next month with hamgran to do some geocaching.

PEI offers this service - www.gov.pe.ca - go to the address locater, enter the address, then ask for the details. You get the long/lat address in those details. I've used it quite a bit lately, as I'm headed east next month with hamgran to do some geocaching.

Want a hint? I just got back from PEi yesterday. Do not stay at the Motel near the ferry. Unless you liked spiders and 60's furniture that is.... Oh, and no phone in the rooms...

Want a hint? I just got back from PEi yesterday. Do not stay at the Motel near the ferry. Unless you liked spiders and 60's furniture that is.... Oh, and no phone in the rooms...

Nope, not staying there - fortunately I have a sister who moved to Morell PEI two years ago, so I have wonderful accommodations which include chilled wine waiting for our arrival! ;)