Rail Roads

You could shoot our newly appointed approver an email and see what he says. I don't think that will be a problem. Actually I say go ahead and hide it and write a reviewer note on the page when you submit it. Explain where it is and I'm sure he'll be able to verify that there's a foot bridge by the topo map and satellite photos.

Now I'm trying to think where there's a foot bridge that goes over a RR around here. Can't wait, Hurry up and hide it!

BTW, congrats on your 100th find!

Just a thought. Since Rail Roads are anal egotistical corporations and harder to work with than Uncle Sam if that cache can fall onto the RR property from the bridge I'd think twice. Retrieving the cache could be a real issue if you were caught or if the container was marked so they could trace it back to GC.com (which you would want to do in case a muggle finds it).

Just a thought. Since Rail Roads are anal egotistical corporations and harder to work with than Uncle Sam if that cache can fall onto the RR property from the bridge I'd think twice. Retrieving the cache could be a real issue if you were caught or if the container was marked so they could trace it back to GC.com (which you would want to do in case a muggle finds it).

RK has a very good point. Might want to make sure it's placed where fumblefingers won't drop it on the tracks. Rail authority will bring charges of trespassing in a heartbeat if there's no valid reason for you to be there.

Just a thought.  Since Rail Roads are anal egotistical corporations and harder to work with than Uncle Sam if that cache can fall onto the RR property from the bridge I'd think twice.  Retrieving the cache could be a real issue if you were caught or if the container was marked so they could trace it back to GC.com (which you would want to do in case a muggle finds it).

RK has a very good point. Might want to make sure it's placed where fumblefingers won't drop it on the tracks. Rail authority will bring charges of trespassing in a heartbeat if there's no valid reason for you to be there.

That is a good point. If the footbridge is completely fenced in just make sure the cache container can't fit through the fence.

Probably the majority of us have seen caches where the coordinates appear to place the cache in the middle of an interstate highway, river, etc., where the cache was actually safely hidden on an overpass. I presume your cache page would state that the cache is hidden on a public right-of-way, that people should not trespass on railroad property, that there is no need to trespass on railroad property, and that trespassing on railroad property is a Federal offense. A note to the approver at the time the cache is submitted that discloses the true facts surrounding the hide should minimize any delay in the approval process.

Edited by Bassoon Pilot
That is a good point.  If the footbridge is completely fenced in just make sure the cache container can't fit through the fence.

But the best caches of this type are designed to fit through the holes in the fence and dangle down by a wire or "invisible" filament.

I Agree. But those are only fun until the filament snaps, the cache ends up on the tracks and the bomb squad get called in. :P

Edited by JMBella
Rail authority will bring charges of trespassing in a heartbeat if there's no valid reason for you to be there.

I've heard that, but I've never really heard of anyone who got prosecuted. I've walked along the tracks before......(before I realized the toilets on the trains flushed to the tracks.....which i don't think the do anymore, but DID do back around 1991 when I rode cross-country on a train) and I see people walking the tracks all the time, even walking across a railroad bridge, because it saves them 200 yards versus going up to the highway bridge, and using the sidewalk.........Do the railroads REALLY prosecute trespassers, or do the just put the signs up, to "cover their butts" if someone gets hit by a train?

Do the railroads REALLY prosecute trespassers, or do the just put the signs up, to "cover their butts" if someone gets hit by a train?

Both. As an LEO, I have had the opportunity to meet and work with a couple of agents that work for CSX. Both of 'em were pretty nice guys, but both of them take their job seriously and do seek and obtain warrants on a regular basis.

Log Date: 5/14/2004

This cache appears to be placed close to a railroad track. It is a Federal offense to place an object like a Geocache near an active rail line. A Geocacher has been arrested, jailed, had to go to court and paid a large fine for placing a cache near an active railroad line. The local bomb squad destroyed his cache. You can read more about it here http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...28&log=y#322202

Pay attention to the May 5, 2002 log titled Hillwilly's Day In Court.

If this is an active line, even if it is only used infrequently, this cache must be moved or removed. This is covered in the guidelines and requirements to place a cache http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

If it is a rails to trails area, then the cache can be unarchived.

NOTE: If you have any questions, do not reply to the archive note email. Click on the link to go to the cache page and click on my name in the archive log at the bottom of the page. You can then send me an email regarding the cache. Please send me a link to the cache in question so I will know which cache it is regarding.

Thanks, well that says it all

Rail authority will bring charges of trespassing in a heartbeat if there's no valid reason for you to be there.

I've heard that, but I've never really heard of anyone who got prosecuted. ....Do the railroads REALLY prosecute trespassers, or do the just put the signs up, to "cover their butts" if someone gets hit by a train?

Recently there was a story of a frantic 911 call from a woman on top of a moving train. Before the dispatcher could get much information the call terminated. A few minutes later another call came in from a guy. Apparently two couples had crawled on top of a stopped train to "look at the stars" (yeah, right. That's like watching the "submarine races"), but the train started moving and was too fast for them to get off. Again, the line went dead before they could relay where they were.

A little while later they were spotted walking along a road. They had jumped off the train when it slowed.

All four were charged with trespassing and released to their parent's custody.

But, you have to think about this, roads cross tracks all of the time. So, if you're walking along the road and the road crosses the tracks...

I agree it's a CYA thing. Nontheless, you can still get in trouble.

Let's face it, trains are very dangerous and the power they have is awesome. They can't swerve and they can't stop on a dime. Even if it weren't illegal, why would a cacher be placing their fellow cachers in such danger?

The cache would be hid on a pedestrian bridge that crosses over the tracks and has been in service without a mishap for over twenty years . so i dont think safety was a issue.

You're talking past and future tense. I'm confused.

The case HillWilly case I believe involved more than just placing a cache. There was something about "vandalism."

Anyway, I've seen complaints about caches being denied when placed within a park, off rail property, and the two are seperated by a chain link fence. A classic example of the problem with the present system. The HillWilly case is the way it should be done, let the owner take responsibilty for their placements.

Anyway, with your cache, if you've got it on a bridge that is not RR property, just email the approver and explain the situation. If you can come to terms, post it elsewhere.

Log Date: 5/14/2004

This cache appears to be placed close to a railroad track. It is a Federal offense to place an object like a Geocache near an active rail line. A Geocacher has been arrested, jailed, had to go to court and paid a large fine for placing a cache near an active railroad line. The local bomb squad destroyed his cache. You can read more about it here http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...28&log=y#322202

Pay attention to the May 5, 2002 log titled Hillwilly's Day In Court.

If this is an active line, even if it is only used infrequently, this cache must be moved or removed. This is covered in the guidelines and requirements to place a cache http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

If it is a rails to trails area, then the cache can be unarchived.

NOTE: If you have any questions, do not reply to the archive note email. Click on the link to go to the cache page and click on my name in the archive log at the bottom of the page. You can then send me an email regarding the cache. Please send me a link to the cache in question so I will know which cache it is regarding.

Thanks, well that says it all

I received this exact same message, I believe almost word for word, from my approver when I hid my last cache, and I'm in Iowa. Technically, by looking at a map, my cache was too close to the tracks. In reality, the cache location was separated from the tracks by both a fence and a very steep river bluff. This explanation still didn't fly. I moved the cache, and it was approved immediately.

Gc.com is very touchy about the RR thing, and rightfully so. A few bad incidents could screw up geocaching in a major way.

On the other hand, if we hunt benchmarks, that involves a lot of nosing around RR tracks.