Oregon Paddlers-a List Of Aqua/hydro Caches

The GeoSquad

The GeoSquad just got a tandem kayak and we wanted to use it for our geocaching adventures. There really isn’t a search criteria for “paddler only” caches, so we started compiling a list of caches that require some kind of watercraft to reach in Oregon and SW Washington. Here’s what we’ve come up with so far and hope to hit as many of these this summer. If anyone knows of any more, please post them here.

ARRH! Me Coon Island Treasure (Multnomah Channel)

Old Fishin' Hole (Multnomah Channel)

Raccoon Haven (Multnomah Channel)

Aquaman's Lair (Columbia River, Portland area)

Island Paradise (Columbia River, Portland area)

Show me the Cache! (Columbia River, Portland)

The Government Duck (Columbia River, Portland)

One If By Land (Portland. Not a hydro but you need to get this one to get cords for Two if By Sea.)

Two If By Sea

Ash Cache (Willamette River, near Dundee)

Don't be Crabby (Nehalem, OR)

Nehalem Dock (Nehalem, OR)

TREASURE ISLAND (Jackson County)

2-For-1 On Treasure Island (Jackson County)

Don't tip over on the Lewis River (SW Washington)

Don’t Bring a Dog (Willamette River, near Albany)

Thanks,

The GeoSquad

This list needs to be posted on www.pdxgeocaching.com  :P

Great idea! I've always thought it would be a great get-together to go visit these Columbia River islands caches. If any cachers have a good-sized boat, we'd be the 1st to sign up and contribute to gas! Never ran into a cacher with a "big" boat though, or at least no one is willing to fess up.

--laurak

Edited by dasein

If you happen to be near Eugene you could try these two at Fern Ridge Reservoir..

Gibson Girl and High Water both easily accessable flat water paddle ( about an hour round trip from put in at G Dog #2 Guard Rail)

There are plenty of other caches located at local boat ramps along both the Willamette and McKenzie as well.

Edited by G-O-$

Here's another canoe/kayak cache I recently have added to my to do list:

Rhino's Ridge on Bachelor Island in the Columbia.

We just paddled to Coon Island last weekend. One of the caches has been archived. We found one, but the third one eluded us. I think it may have been taken, but I'm not certain. Maybe we just weren't looking in the right area.

GCK292 Dunkin' Donuts?... Oh wait! Dunkin' Cachers! and

GCH925 Menear's Bend is right around the corner although you need not

get wet for that one...

This is a good one to kayak as long at the water is high enough. I kayaked it with a couple other people this last summer and the water was a bit too low. I think we did it mid to late July. You can go all the way down to foster lake and there are several other caches along the shore. There is only one portage corner. Theres a big log across it right at the bottom of a chute... Any how it was fun.

Look for more caches along this river next year...

;)--Odder