Design The Ultimate Gps Holder

Jeremy

Hey, Great Topic!

I have a MeriPlat and I haven't figured out how to put a lanyard on it, and it makes me kinda nervous out there taking pictures from bridges, and carrying it in a jacket pocket (that's not there in summer).

I originally wanted to design a neck-holder type as others have described, but, I also carry (wear) a camera, sometimes with a rather large lens. So I thought about a belly-mount. Now that would look doofy.

So now I'm considering a hip or thigh mount. Hip's fine without layers of coats and jackets. It doesn't have the advantage of immediate visibility, but it would be easily accessable and not terrible sheltered from satellites. Or I can just see myself barging through the underbrush, loaded with camera and GPS strapped around my thigh. Hum...

Whatever attachment-form it takes, it will have see-through front, place for (2)AAs, and be flexible enough to control the buttons through the cover.

In a couple of the vehicles I drive on a regular basis, I have velcro on the dash upon which I plant the fixed mount. In the vehicles that don't have that, I have found the MeriPlat usually wedges nicely between the windshield and dash - that rubber-like edging keeps a grip. One rig I have to lash the unit to the MagLite on the dash using the strap on my home-stictched pouch.

My point: there's always a way... But it's fun to think of the best way!

VT GeoStomper (ARL 784)

I have been using this $5 holder for a year (Performance Bike.com). Its a tight fit for my Garmin Vista (Etrex family), but it does the job. It's a pain in the a** cause I have to remove it to view the screen or press a button, but I'm too cheap to get another holder. I do have Garmin,s leather model. It has the right openings for all the buttons, but the plastic cover reflects light too much.

I got this small pack free a few years ago when I had a different cell phone provider...

pack1.jpg

pack2.jpg

Used to have a different logo on it, decided to cover it up with something better. Anyway, it was made by BodyGlove, and the GPSr fits nicely in the pocket on the strap and stays in place. Puts it right up on the shoulder where it gets good reception too.

I have been getting set up to do some trail mapping and plotting at a state park where I volunteer. I'm using a Garmin Vista. I need to have a continuous track with waypoints taken every 50' or so. The Vista will do that nicely, but you must maintain satellite contact all the time. So I tried putting a cross-strap on the shoulder of my pack harness. That worked fine, but it was a hassle to enter other waypoints along the way.

While sitting at my desk I noted an athletic wrap I had been wearing for elbow tendonitis -- the kind that straps snuggly around your arm just below the elbow. Since I hike with trekking poles, my forearm is always level. Hooked the belt clip on the BodyGlove GPS carrier and I am set. Continuous satellite connection and easy location to enter random waypoints. :(

I got this small pack free a few years ago when I had a different cell phone provider...

Dude, you may not want to look very quickly, but there's a huge spider on the wall just behind you! :(

The pack looks great, leaves the antenna area visible, and the GPSr is quickly wieldable. Does it drop easily from there? I was thinking a situation where you climb a steep rockface on all your fours and then you kick the GPSr with your knee, or it hits a rock, drops and starts to fall down the hill. :D