Britain's Hardest...

Fangsy

Being curious about lots of things, I got to wondering what the hardest cache to find in the UK was. I'm sure there must be a few diff-5 terr-5 caches here and there (though I havn't seen any listed yet).

So, what would you folks say was the hardest cache you ever found (or not) in the UK, and why?

If you have them, waypoint GC names would be interesting to, maybe compare notes with each other.

My hardest yet to find was GCC69E because it took me 4 visits spread over 8 months before I found it. Annoying as it was the second closest to home!

Definitely Wildcat, but what an adventure! It was ace.

I forgot to do the Scafell Pike cache last year.... to be precise I forgot to take the photo of me with my GPS on the summit. I did it after Ben Nevis, and before Snowdon (The Three Peaks Challenge).... all in 24 hours B). Hey, that's a great idea for a Multi-cache :D

The final cache in my Alchemy Quest series (Gold) is a 5/5 - so watch out!

MarcB

When when when ???? B):D

Also sorry about beating you to 100 B) (Yet another Midland cacher to do it :D)

Stuey, I also did mine as part of the three peaks, But we enjoyed it over a weekend, Think there is a cache on Ben Nevis already.

Edited by Deego
The final cache in my Alchemy Quest series (Gold) is a 5/5 - so watch out!

MarcB

When when when ???? :DB)

Also sorry about beating you to 100 B) (Yet another Midland cacher to do it B))

I'll get off No.88 sometime!

Btw the Quest will bring my hides up to 25 (active caches) and sadly it will be my last for a while as I'm off to university in October (all being well).

:D

MarcB

I forgot to do the Scafell Pike cache last year.... to be precise I forgot to take the photo of me with my GPS on the summit. I did it after Ben Nevis, and before Snowdon (The Three Peaks Challenge).... all in 24 hours :D. Hey, that's a great idea for a Multi-cache :D

"D'Oh!" That would be an evilicious Multi-Cache I think! There is also the Pen-y-Fantastic GC5250 virtual cache in South Wales, which you could add to it make a foursome. It has nearby traditional cache too.

Thanks MoonHerb for the link to Britains' Hardest 20! There are some real hard looking challenges there... Enigma machine, oh my. B)

I suppose it depends on whether you're asking 'Which was the most difficult cache to find?" or "Which was the most difficult cache to get to?" because they are not necessarily one and the same B)

Of all the 500 and odd caches I've found, the one that I had the most trouble actually finding was Dan & Pid's 3 star Touchet Terminator (dadgum their eyes :D ). That took me three attempts and I only found it then because on the third time I went in 'mob handed' with the rest of The Grockles.

The most difficult from a purely physical point of view is a 'toss up' between Scotland's First and Pen-y-Fantastic. The first involved a rugged, two hour climb up a rocky stream bed to find a cache hidden 2500 feet up Ben More. Fortunately, it was a dry warm day (yes... really!!!) and the view back down the mountain was worth every drop of sweat. The second was a relatively simple climb to the summit of Pen-Y-Fan, via Corn Du, that was made infinitely more difficult by the atrocious weather. Had I not been adequately prepared and reasonably fit, I would have aborted this attempt at the car park B)B) I reached the summit, quite literally, on my hands and knees to stop myself being blown off the mountain. Quite scary... :D

There is also the Pen-y-Fantastic GC5250 virtual cache in South Wales,

I want to do that cache this year. :DB) . Its a bit far for a day but let's see what May brings :D :D

I'm hoping to add it to my list this year too, not sure when though. It's close enough, and having two caches within a mile of each other up there makes it even more rewarding.

I'm just scared of it I suppose :D although I have the boots and the clothing, it seems daunting. I'd have to decide where to start from.

Company would also be good going up somewhere like that, maybe I can coax my Girlfriend to go with me, she's visiting in May too. She hates climbing though B) .We hunted a few caches near where she lives in S Africa, which is why she hates climbing now. B)

I would love to do a best (or hardest) cache in the UK table. But it would be hard to sort out, will have to give it some thought :(:D

The only way to do it in my opinion is to run a poll and pick the top ten !

Maybe it would be best to do Hardest and most enjoyable as separate polls ??