How To Delete Uploaded Map

pecka

Hello, this may sound stupid but I've uploaded some topo maps to my GPSMAP 60C only to find out that they are not compatible (I can't see them in the map screen, yes I have them selected int he setup menu) so I want to get rid of them I read on the internet that this can be done only by uploadig some other map, but what if I want just the basemap? is there such option?

:P

I'm curious how you could have even uploaded them if they weren't compatable? What were they? If they were made by Garmin, they are compatable. If they are made by someone else, you couldn't have even got them into your GPS. Interesting. But, to answer your question, after you open MapSource, just "uncheck" the boxes for maps, routes, waypoints in the "save to GPS" window that opens for data transfer. Or, hit "select none", then start your transfer. I believe that will "erase" anything you have in there. Hope I'm right on this...It's been a while...

well it's compatible w/ garmin, meanin that i can upload it to the 60c, the incompatibility means that i can't see any details on the map - but i can see them in the mapsource. it's pretty strange if you ask me. these maps come from independent project called .CZECH free maps. maybe someone can try it on their unit and let me know. :P

Remember, the map data that is sent to the GPSr "pushes" out the old data.....you cannot just add another piece of the map to what is there. That's why it is prudent to save "mapsets" say, for a trip to another state or region. The mapset files are not very big since they are merely an index of the map pieces selected, plus any waypoints and / or tracks saved.

so each time I upload a map it automatically wipes the maps that are already installed?

Yup,

That's been my experience with Garmin Etrex and MapSource. Even if you only had say 1MB of maps loaded and wanted to add another 5MB, it will "push" the first maps loaded, right out. You will then only have the last 5MB of maps in the GPSr.

I know that the new map automaticly erases old maps in the memory, but is there a way to erase the map memory w/o uploading new map?

No, you cannot "ERASE" the map memory. You can only push existing data out with new data.

You could upload the original POIs that were factory installed by Garmin.

Just go to the "Software Updates" page for your model GPSr, and on the right side of the page you'll see "Download Preloaded POI Database for YourGarminGPSrModelHere". Download that file and run it.

Or, you could load 1 map segment for a location very distant from yours. If you're in Florida, load 1 map segment from Alaska. If you're in Alaska, upload 1 segment from Florida.

Edited by Neo_Geo
well it's compatible w/ garmin, meanin that i can upload it to the 60c, the incompatibility means that i can't see any details on the map - but i can see them in the mapsource. it's pretty strange if you ask me. these maps come from independent project called .CZECH free maps. maybe someone can try it on their unit and let me know. ;)

Somehow I think Garmin might have a different opinion on whether or not they're compatible. ;)

No, you cannot "ERASE" the map memory. You can only push existing data out with new data.

Well...Not so quick here. Read my post above. If I remember right, I used to "ERASE" maps all the time, without loading new ones, using the method I talked about above. Someone give it a try and see if it works. I can't...I sold my V, waiting for my 60 CS.

Perhaps it might've been that way with older versions of MapSource. I tried that a while back. If you don't have any map segments selected, then you cannot check the "maps" box as an item to send to the GPSr. You can't send what you don't have available in MapSource.

If there is no map segment selected, then the "Maps" item is grayed-out as an item to send. Similarly, if you have no waypoints, you cannot select "Waypoints" as an item to send. If it doesn't exist in the instance of MapSource that you're working in, then you cannot send it to the GPSr.

If you open a new instance of MapSource, and create one waypoint, and then click to send to the GPSr, the only item that will be selectable to send will be "Waypoints".

If you open a new instance of MapSource, and create a route, and then click to send to the GPSr, the only item that will be selectable to send will be "Routes".

Under what circumstances are these POI's lost? Everytime I download City Select maps? The first time?

Also, how can I tell if I still have them loaded? Thanks. [i have a 60CS.]

They are lost the FIRST TIME you upload ANY maps to the GPSr. Once they're lost, you can't lose them again until after you've loaded them again. You would see round waypoints in and near large bodies of water. Many of them depict lighthouses - others are bouys, oil rigs, etc.

Edited by Neo_Geo

So, be clear, as I have already loaded some maps from City Select to my 60CS, those POI's are gone. If I load the POI's, they will be back. If I download some new maps from City Select, not only will I replace my old City Select maps but I'll lose those POI's. Thanks for your response, neo-geo.

I know that the new map automaticly erases old maps in the memory, but is there a way to erase the map memory w/o uploading new map?

Just go to the "Software Updates" page for your model GPSr, and on the right side of the page you'll see "Download Preloaded POI Database for YourGarminGPSrModelHere". Download that file and run it.

Or, you could load 1 map segment for a location very distant from yours. If you're in Florida, load 1 map segment from Alaska. If you're in Alaska, upload 1 segment from Florida.

I did download and install the original POI's from Garmin. The transfer was successful but my GPS at the map page still says Mapsource in the lower left hand corner? And when I go to the menu it still shows all the maps I uploaded from City Select. I can uncheck them. But to me the maps are still there even if I do uncheck them as I can check them and turn back on?

I do want to clear everything out and start over now that I kind of got a hang of things.

murph

Sorry - I only did this procedure once about a year ago with my Legend. Simply downloading and executing the file is NOT all there is to it.

The file you download is actually a setup/installation program to install the program which restores your POIs. Executing that file does NOT transfer any data to the GPS. After installing the program, you need to run the program [start | Programs | YourGarminModel Marine POI Database Recovery...

And then select between:

Load Americas Marine POI Database

- or -

Load International Marine POI Database

If the MapSource maps you uploaded before are still intact, then you did NOT restore the POIs.