Need Help Starting

kaman

I cannot seem to get started with my Legend. I have gone through 2 sets of batteries trying to understand how to input coordinates so that I can try my first Geocache hunt. I have also tried to download drom the website but have no idea if I was succesful. I am in Denver. If someone would care to call and talk I would sure be greatful! If you email me I will return with my #.Also... I cannot find the goto command anywhere.

Welcome to geocaching!

To input a coordinate:

1) hold down on the click-stick until the mark screen comes up

2) use the click-stick to move the cursor around the screen to change to the coordinate you want. you can also name the waypoint and change the icon.

To use the GOTO function, press the third button from the top on the left-hand side. Holding the GPS in your left hand, it'll be your thumb that depresses it.

If you want to download coordinates from the geocaching.com database, you'll need EasyGPS. Do a search from the site and next to each cache, if you're logged in, will be a checkbox. Check the caches you want and at the bottom of the page, select download. Save the file to your PC and open it in EasyGPS. Follow the EasyGPS instructions to upload to your Legend.

Good luck!

You might need a little more detail

Press and hold in the click-stick button (on the face of the unit). This will create a waypoint at your current location, assuming your unit has a lock on where you are. Otherwise, it will use the last location that it did have a lock.

When the waypoint is created, it will switch to the waypoint editing screen (has the guy holding the flag). You can change everything on the screen by simply using the click-stick to highlight the item, and then clicking on the click-stick.

The coordinates will be listed as "Location:". Move down to hightlight it, and press the click-stick. The edit box will appear. You'll see that the first character of the coordinate is highlighted. You can either replace it by selecting a new value from the edit box and pressing the click-stick, or select the left-arrow to leave it and go to the next character/digit.

When you have the coordinates put in, select OK and click it.

Select Goto, Map, or OK, and you're done. OK just saves the waypoint. GOTO saves it and makes it your target location. MAP saves it and shows it to you on the map.

I had a little trouble with mine, also. The interface with these things takes a little getting used to. I got started just fine, using the same directions as the others just listed. But I stumbles a bit when it came to the waypoint entry. I finally just used the book, practiced, found my 1st cache, practiced more, and so on. To enter coordinates, it's a combination of selecting the correct character from the "box" (highlight it by movin the black box over the character) then press down on the click stick. On the same table as the letters, there are numbers and "navigation" arrows < and > for example to move the cursor to the correct entry position. Also, you will see "space" and other text commands you can select. But it all starts by pushing down on the stick (you will see the man holding a flag). Then you use the stick to move the highlight to the first entry field, either the waypoint name, or the description (waypoint, attraction, etc.). Once you are "on top" of the correct field (first coordinate, for example) pres down and the text selection box appears (see directions above). When you are done with all fields and happy with your what you've entered, then move the highlight to "goto" box to begin navigation. You will make mistakes, but guess what? You can delete waypoints all day long! :P And then start over. :o

If you need to speak in person, please PM me. Do you have the owner's manual? Let me know. Good luck and welcome to the game. I just logged my 6th (only) today.

Edited by NCCamper2003
I cannot seem to get started with my Legend. I have gone through 2 sets of batteries trying to understand how to input coordinates so that I can try my first Geocache hunt. I have also tried to download drom the website but have no idea if I was succesful. I am in Denver. If someone would care to call and talk I would sure be greatful! If you email me I will return with my #.Also... I cannot find the goto command anywhere.

I live in Aurora, CO and I can help you if you still need me to. I use a Legend as well. Send me email at imajika@dr.com and we can set up a time to talk on the phone or set up a meeting.

I also am a newbie. Just figuring out how to get around on my legend. My boys and I found our first cache today!!! A very simple virtual cache, but it's a start. we love it!! Thanks to all who help out in here, it really makes a difference for we newbies.

Jeff

jsj444