Travel Bug Cache Hopping

I noticed the other day that someone had visited several caches on the same day and logged a travel bug in and out of each. I just wondered what other people thought of this?

We do that if we've picked up a bug and for some reason are not happy to drop it in a cache. If the bug visits the cache but does not stay, we'll log it in and out and usually take a photo.

There are a variety of reasons we'll not drop a bug. Amongst them:

- We only picked it up that day.

- We can help later with its specific mission.

- The cache is too small.

- We're away, and won't be able to log it in before someone else picks it up.

If the bug went to the cache, there's no reason it shouldn't be logged there.

Cheers,

Stu

I can understand if someone logs a TB in and out of a cache as this shows the journey it has made.

But recently I have seen, on several occasions someone logging a TB as having picked it up and then logging it back in and leaving it in the same cache, I don't think this is right.

If you don't intend moving the TB on, then there is no point in logging it.

Ahhh - now that I agree is wrong - IMVHO its someone getting their stats up

Well, we like to log all bugs we have MET, not just one's we've moved.

However, we don't pick-up and drop, we just post a note on the bug page to say we've met it. It still adds to our list of bugs.

I don't agree that's it's wrong to log bugs you've met without moving, but the pick-up/drop method isn't the best way to go about it.

Note also, that we will only rarely NOT move a bug. It's usually at a cachers meet where someone else takes the bug, or when we know its mission and really can't help.

Cheers,

Stu

Edited by stu_and_sarah

OK Now I am confused...We have had a couple of TB's left in our caches. We did not think it right to remove them...find out their missions ...move them on or put them back. Hence we have never logged the TB's. Do you mean that this is allowable and that we can log all visiting TB's to our caches as well as ones we find in other caches whether we move them on or not?

The idea really is only to remove and log a TB if you are going to move it onto another cache. If you visit a TB 'hotel' for example, you can take a TB or two, but you don't log all of the TBs in the cache.

If it's your own cache, and a TB is languishing for several months, then I think it would generally be acceptable to remove it and log it if you can help it on its way.

Does this clear up any confusion?

i don't see the harm in helping a bug in its mission, then returning it to the same cache.

if the bugs mission is to go to specific places or do and see specific things and you help it to do that, does it really matter if it's put back into the same cache it came from? we recently picked one up from the gatwick bug hotel and then returned it back there a week later after giving it the adventure and excitement it wanted!

however if the bugs mission is to go to as many different caches as possible then there surely there is no point in logging ie picked up/dropped off, it if you don't move it on?

I like stu and sarah's idea of posting a note to say you've met it, good idea!