Why is it called 'Trading up'?

RingXero

Forgive my newbyness please icon_wink.gif

But I keep reading posts about how good it is to 'Trade up', when what they mean is the cacher leaving an equal or higher quality item than the one that was taken, which would be 'Trading down'.

How did this get switched? or when someone is saying 'I traded up' they are speaking for the cache object?

confused.

RX

Any deity worthy of a graven image can cobble up a working universe complete with fake fossils in under a week - hey, if you're not omnipotent, there's no real point in being a god. But to start with a big ball of elementary particles and end up with the duckbill platypus without constant twiddling requires a degree of subtlety and the ability to Think Things Through: exactly the qualities I'm looking for when I'm shopping for a Supreme Being.

"You would be trading up the value of the cache"

thanks for the context, as I have been going abit insane reading 'I traded up', or 'people should trade up or not at all'. and trying to see why anyone would think this was good behaviour.

of course, I shake my head everytime I hear 'near-miss' as well.

RX

quote:
Originally posted by RingXero:

But I keep reading posts about how good it is to 'Trade up', when what they mean is the cacher leaving an equal or higher quality item than the one that was taken, which would be 'Trading down'.

You're 100% correct. It just makes the people who use it look stupid, since they're using it completely backwards. See this thread for more thoughts.

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

quote:

"Trading up" has been badly misused by some geocachers. Some will try to rationalize that it is in the point of view of the cache, but that's a wild stretch.

George

George

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

Think of it from the point of view of the cache. If you take a golf ball and leave a golf club, you would be trading up the value ofthe cache.

We'll skip the part about a cache being an inanimate object and not having a point of view.

The phrase is almost always used to represent an action taken by the geocacher - "I traded up the cache", "You should always trade up", etc. No one ever says "I think the cache would be as happy as an inanimate object could be if it were traded up".

3608_2800.gif

quote:

I shake my head everytime I hear 'near-miss' as well.

It's easier than saying 'it was very close to a collision, but missed'. After all, things miss each other by a long distance all the time, but when they miss while very near to each other, it increases the pucker factor.

If you don't like that explanation, RK's explanation fits well.

I saw one in the forums recently stating that a point was 'mute' instead of moot, now that's just wrong.

If trees could scream, would we still cut them down?

Well, maybe if they screamed all the time, for no reason.

Click here for my Geocaching pictures and Here (newest)

There is only one correct way to interpret the phrase "Trading Up"

We all know that maps are printed with north at the top of the map. So when I travel north to Lewiston, I say I am going "up" to Lewiston, even though it is a lower elevation. I am going "Up" the map.

When it comes to "Trading Up" a cache, that means the person traded the location of the cache to someplpace north of where it was originally.

There can be no other interpretation.

I may be lost, but at least I am making good time.

>>We'll skip the part about a cache being an inanimate object and not having a point of view.

Ah, I don't believe that at all. Every cache I've been to has a spirit and a personality and something very close to a point of view. Saying that a cache is Inanimate is logical and literally correct and also sad and limited and imperceptive. Caches have an essence that begins when they are born and that is nurtured - or neglected - as people visit them and leave bits of their own spirits there. If you can't feel that a cache is much more than an object then you're missing something...

quote:
Originally posted by martmann:

It's easier than saying 'it was very close to a collision, but missed'. After all, things miss each other by a long distance all the time, but when they miss while very near to each other, it increases the pucker factor.

Actually, 'nearly hit' or a 'near hit' would have been vastly more accurate in describing the scenario. 'Near miss' was coined by accident by a journalist with not enough sense. You will notice though that the usage is reduced greatly and the terms 'near collision', 'almost collided' or the like has taken it's place.

'Trading Up' as a short for 'Trading up the value of the cache' works well enough for me not to sigh everytime I hear/read it. Will I personally use the phrase? don't know, don't really care that much about it. I was more interested in how the phrase came about.

RX

Any deity worthy of a graven image can cobble up a working universe complete with fake fossils in under a week - hey, if you're not omnipotent, there's no real point in being a god. But to start with a big ball of elementary particles and end up with the duckbill platypus without constant twiddling requires a degree of subtlety and the ability to Think Things Through: exactly the qualities I'm looking for when I'm shopping for a Supreme Being.

quote:
Originally posted by WalruZ:

... as people visit them and leave bits of their own spirits there.

No, alcohol is not permitted in caches. icon_smile.gif

And you didn't mention if caches also have an aura. Perhaps I should start trying to find caches by sensing their phychic vibrations... icon_lol.gif

3608_2800.gif

quote:
Originally posted by TeamX40:

It sure does. If you suspend a crystal over a map it'll point right to the cache. The hard part is holding my monitor upright with one hand while dangling the crystal over a mapquest page.

Hey! Another method of finding MOCs without a premium membership!

3608_2800.gif

quote:

have an essence that begins when they are born and that is nurtured - or neglected - as people visit them and leave bits of their own spirits there. If you can't feel that a cache is much more than an object then you're missing something...

That was a good one.

icon_biggrin.gifbig_smile.gificon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Woof!:

Huh? I thought it was a "moo" point. You know, like a cows opinion...it just doesn't matter. icon_wink.gif

Since we're discussing word meaning here, "moot" doesn't mean something that doesn't matter. Moot refers to a hypothetical situation created for the purpose of discussion. Moot Court is where legal students argue hypothetical questions (and don't tell them it doesn't matter!). And who says watching reruns of The Paper Chase was a waste of time?

3608_2800.gif

quote:

>>We'll skip the part about a cache being an inanimate object and not having a point of view.

Ah, I don't believe that at all. Every cache I've been to has a spirit and a personality and something very close to a point of view. Saying that a cache is Inanimate is logical and literally correct and also sad and limited and imperceptive. Caches have an essence that begins when they are born and that is nurtured - or neglected - as people visit them and leave bits of their own spirits there. If you can't feel that a cache is much more than an object then you're missing something...

LOL - You may be right!

"Oz nevah did give anything to The Tin man that he didn't ALWAYS have"

quote:
Originally posted by Woof!:

quote:
Originally posted by martmann:

I saw one in the forums recently stating that a point was 'mute' instead of moot, now that's just wrong.

Huh? I thought it was a "moo" point. You know, like a cows opinion...it just doesn't matter.

OK Joey, you're right.

If trees could scream, would we still cut them down?

Well, maybe if they screamed all the time, for no reason.

Click here for my Geocaching pictures and Here (newest)