Are These Good For Micro Caches?

Hello Everyone, fairly new to this... Only 3 hunts and 2 finds.. :o

Lately I've been thinking creating some caches but think I need to have a few more finds under my belt first... Anyway...

I've been staring at these on eBay for about 15 minutes... I just realized they might be great for micro caches..

What do you guys think?

auction 1

auction 2

... or is there something better for micro caches?

I used to have access to similar 'vintage' canisters once upon a time. (They were really old even then. Really.) As I recall, the lids tended to get misthreaded easily. I'd also wonder about the state of the rubber after all this time.

If the price doesn't go too high it would be worth checking out, but don't spend the kids' college tuition to get them...

I'd have to wonder about their ability to withstand the elements and like yumitori, I recall the threads not being very good. They really weren't designed for repeated opening and closing. If you can get them cheaply, I'd say they're worth experimenting with, but I wouldn't pay any more than about a buck each for the things and that's pushing it.

Now if you can find some older plastic Kodak film canisters, those would be great. I find the older plastic film canisters seal far better than the newer ones. I'm not sure when they changed but when I compare the ones I've had sitting around for some years, with new ones, the difference is remarkable.

If you want a solid, inexpensive, watertight micro container check out the waterproof match containers available at camping supply stores. I've seen them for as little as 99 cents some places. They are usually orange (I've sometimes seen green), but some camo tape can take care of that issue.

Edited by briansnat

If price is a major concern - how does free sound. Most photo developing places will give you empty 35 mm cans for free. A lot of people turn them in when they have their film developed, some places will hang on to them for people. I have a bag with about 100 that I got from the first place I called. No, they're not as cool as the ones on ebay, but they are cheaper!

Another use for these film canisters is as a holster for the matchstick containers. You can notch the bottom of the conatainer and use a zip tie to hole it to a tree branch and the matchstick container fits like a glove inside it. You'd be surprised how well this blends in with some camo.