60c Freezes While Computing A Goto

I was out caching with the gang yesterday and the GPS froze. Not once. Not twice, but at least three times.

Each time the GPS froze, it was working on computing the 'autorouting' route for me after choosing GOTO>Follow Road.

Normal? Firmware issues? Should I call Garmin? I'm already on my 2nd unit. The first went TU rather quickly (no backlight unless I squeezed the unit back-to-front) which they fixed by sending me a new unit.

I've had the new unit for about three weeks.

Thoughts?

michelle

Mine had done this a couple of time while auto-routing. But I did take it on a 300 mile (each way) trip to Montreal this weekend and it worked without a hitch.

Not only did it work great but all my buddies were impressed when it got us to a great steak house in Old Montreal. It was snowing and the street signs were covered with snow. That and the one way streets would have made it impossible to find at night. The 60C took us right to the doorstep!!!

My 60C did that last weekend too while on a 150 mile trip. Once when it froze I had to take out a battery to get it to shut off. Later I noticed that I had it set to shortest route instead of fastest. I think the problem may have been that I just didn't give it enough time to compute. I'm not ready to report it to Garmin yet. I think it was just me and the "long trip/shortest route/didn't give it enought time" theory. When I discovered that possibility and reset it to fastest route it seemed to compute the route more quickly and the unit worked fine after that. :o

Took my CS out on a trip today where I had to put in about 4 auto-routes. From City to City. It locked up on me also when using the GOTO. But mine does not get to the "Follow the Road" question though. It locks up right after I click on GoTo.

Mine has locked up a couple of times before but I never traced it to the using the GoTo feature. Now I know.

I hope this a problem Garmin sees and can be fixed with a software update.

murph

I called Garmin today.

As usual, they were very helpful.

And, of course, they've never EVER heard of this problem before! The Horror!

So, instead of sending it in, they just had me make sure I had the most recent updates on Mapsource, and then had me reload 3.0 on the gps, and then reload my maps.

Now I need to go test again.

If it craps out on me, I'll just use the handy dandy direct email address I have to my most favorite Garmin customer service guy and say - you know what... it ain't workin'!

Fingers crossed! (But don't hold your breath)

-=-

m

Idon't know if this has anything to do with it or not but I have noticed tha when mine locks up it is when I am moving. It has never locked up while sitting still. But sometimes I hit GoTo while I am driving and that is when it locked up. And that is when it is most frustrating cause now I have to stop and take the batteries out.

murph

This might not help all of your problems but I have noticed on my unit that sometimes when calculating an auto route or recalculating after going off course, the calculation animation thing won't open up. The unit appears to be "frozen" because button presses won't do anything much like if the calculating indicator was there. If you wait long enough the unit finishes it's calculation and everything works fine. This is obviously still a problem but, I guess my advice would be to have some patience before pulling the batteries.

If you wait long enough the unit finishes it's calculation and everything works fine. This is obviously still a problem but, I guess my advice would be to have some patience before pulling the batteries.

That is kind of what I said in an earlier post on this subject. I too am watching this "thread" to see if any more possibilities develope. I have a 300 mile trip to the Detroit area this Sun. I will advise if I develope any more ideas on this subject.

This might not help all of your problems but I have noticed on my unit that sometimes when calculating an auto route or recalculating after going off course, the calculation animation thing won't open up. The unit appears to be "frozen" because button presses won't do anything much like if the calculating indicator was there. If you wait long enough the unit finishes it's calculation and everything works fine. This is obviously still a problem but, I guess my advice would be to have some patience before pulling the batteries.

I waited twenty minutes with mine. In fact my calculation screen usually doesn't even come up. It looks up just before that right after I click follow road. Mine has never locked up while auto-matically re-routing.

murph

I had this happen to me yesterday for the first time. I had told it to direct me to a city, and it kept recalculating as I headed towards a particular road which I wanted to take. Then on one of the recalculations, it just displayed the "Calculating" box with the little moving car, and that was that. Nothing else world work, including trying to turn it off using the power button. I removed the batteries, booted it back up, and all was well.

Just a reply to the above -- I've seen in a lot of threads where people have mentioned they had to remove the batteries when their 60C/CS locks up. It may not seem like it will shut off when you press the power button, because it is not nearly as responsive as normal when the unit crashes, but if you just hold down the power button, it will shut off after a delay. Then when you turn it on again, it will be fine (but with a log on the debug screen of an abnormal shutdown).

I've seen in a lot of threads where people have mentioned they had to remove the batteries when their 60C/CS locks up. It may not seem like it will shut off when you press the power button, because it is not nearly as responsive as normal when the unit crashes, but if you just hold down the power button, it will shut off after a delay.

I've pressed the power button for several seconds with no effect. How long was your delay? I mean, before I hold the power button for two minutes, I'd rather remove the batteries.

well it has crashed on me today. i'm running fw. v3.10 on my 60c, i also experinced the "calulating freeze" wich i thing is not a crash but the unit is just calculating the route for longer time than usual - cause it has always shut down after long press on the power button.

but today i has completely freezed today. I was using the compass when doing a tackback on 200km track and after about 15 minutes the unit was freezed, i tried to hold the power button but it didn't help so i had to take out the batteries. unfortunately the diagnostic screen shows only "abnormal shutdown" message, which is connected w/ the battery takeout rather w/ the freeze.

I guess I just haven't had that bad of a crash yet. When it shuts off after holding down the power button (maybe pressing multiple times), the shutdown is definitely "abnormal." The screen sort of fades out instead of turning off as normal. I do hope Garmin clears up the remaining bugs. I haven't had a crash since updating to 3.10, FWIW.