Tracks Overlay

thcri

I 4 wheel with a bunch of guys in an area that is about 15 miles square. There is lots of trails that we have created and I have gone over each of these trails about ten times. The problem I have now is I have about 6 or 7 track logs that go over the same roads and trails. So now when I make an aerial map I have all of these red lines all over the place. Is there a way I can combine these tracks into one track. And in the places where I have doubled or even tripled up can this program eliminate the double tracks??

murph

I have a Meridian, and I'm curious about your solution.

Yes. You can save multiple tracks to the SD card.

I did a hike on a trail system last summer. I hiked pretty much all the trails over a two-day period, and I tracked each trail and saved them seperately. When I got home, I was able to plot one trail at a time, or any combination of trails onto a map.

This doesn't fix the original poster's problem of having several overlapping tracks, but next time he is in the area, he can run one trail, save the track, run another trail, save the track.. etc. That way, even if some of the tracks overlap, he can add or remove them from display at will.

Jamie

I do know that with Mapsource products, you can copy and paste any of the objects into a single folder. What I do is create folders (such as Hiking Track Logs and save the hiking trails there. You can do the same with routes, waypoints, and mapsets. And all of those objects can be combined as you please in a folder so that you might have a mapset with the routes, track logs, and waypoints that go along with it. Then upload the whole mess to your GPS.

thcri - you have a Vista, right?

You CAN combine multiple tracks in MapSource! :blink:

Just open two (or however many) instances of the MapSource program. Open different .mps files in each instance. Click on the Tracks tab in one instance, highlight the desired tracks, and then do an EDIT - COPY.

Then go to another instance of MapSource, go to the Tracks tab and do an EDIT - PASTE.

If there is a conflict in track names (Active Log 001, Active Log 002, etc., then you can right-click on the track name and select properties - then rename the particular tracklog to something else (Active Log 201, Active Log 501, etc.).

Save the combined tracks as a new filename.

See if I can make this work. I will attempt to attach a picture of a trail. You can see where I have driven over this many times. The bigger the scale the more you can tell. I want to keep all tracks but just clean up because there is areas where I only went over once or twice. I am using a GPSMap60CS as my GPS now. I have sold my Vista

Ok how do I insert an image from off my computer. I see adding a http and an img from the web but not from my computer??

I clean up and combine tracks frequently.

I usually also open two instances of MapSource. I open the file with all the tracks in the first instance and copy all tracks that I want into the second instance.

Next, I edit the tracks to remove and delete any points I do not want e.g. once you start looping, just highlight from this point on down to the end of the list and delete all points. Checkmark the box "Center map on selected item(s)" within the edit mode of the track. If you now move cursor up and down it will center the current track point in the middle. If you use Shift Cursor up or down it will highlight that segment and will adjust the zoom scale automatically. After this exercise you should have several tracks that make up togehter what you are looking for.

Now you just take the second, third track and so on, go in edit mode, mark all points anc copy. Go to the first track and paste on the end. Watch that you do not exceed the max. number of waypoints for one track e.g. 750 for the 76s, 500 for the 60cs.

Save this in a new .mps file and you are done.

I just sounds harder as it really is. Getting used to it, it will work quite fast :blink: