Memmap2004 Versus Fugawi

I have Mem Map 2004 and use it to plan and review caching trips in the UK, What I hate about it is the Waypoint and track management - the whole download from GPS, import, export, delete all, etc filing systems just IMHO sucks

As I need to buy the next set of maps for MemMap I was wondering about bining it and changing to Fugawi UK - however all I can get about it is a few "marketing" docs from the web site - are there any users out there who can speak for it ... if any one else has ran MemMap and Fugawi side by side I would love to hear their thoughts

Hi there

I have not used memmap, but I do use fugawi. What do you want to know?

I use it to plot caches, transfer track logs,waypoints and routes from my garmin legend. Fugawi is supposed to run through a pda connected to gps, but i don't have the cables to do this, therefore cannot say how well this works. However using it up until now, every waypoint has been spot on. Anything else you would like to know please ask. Gary

Hi,

I too have no experience with MM but use Fugawi.

I find Fugawi works well with most of the things I want it to do. I often often download tracks from my GPSr straight into Fugawi so I can get a plot of where I've been. It also supports free-hand drawing on the map. I also use it with GSAK which will export waypoint name, coordinates, and description in Fugawi format. Fugawi then imports these waypoints in comma delimited form, this is totally configurable. Fugawi will also link to a GPSr to give you a 'live' display of your position if you have it running on a laptop. Fugawi also comes bundled with a PDA version of it, what you can then do is select portions of your map on the PC and download them to your PDA. Note that there is a restriction on the size of the map you can download in this way due, it seems, to copywrite.

The 1:50,000 scale maps split the UK into 4 (I think) sections which can be ordered seperately, so don't forget to factor that in too. It does come with smaller scale maps (250,000:1 and 1,000,000:1 for the whole country.

I hope that gives some impression of the Fugawi software, it does an awful lot more than what I have outlined above.

I use MM and would agree that the management of routes/marks/tracks could be improved. I also haven't found a way to easily turn off the proximity alarm on the PDA apart from edit the properties (or move away from the mark which somewhat defeats the object).

However, apart from that it is an excellent piece of software that came in very handy when doing the final leg of 'Spring Fields' yesterday.

Andy

I take it you want to know if you can organise and filter your waypoints so that you can download a selection easily rather than all at once or one at a time! I know this is a pain with MM. I dont know about fugawi but I am sure someone here will know!. Why not use the geocacheuk.com searh facillity to get specific caches that way you can filter your list before you send them to MM. If it is non geocaching waypoints you want to filter I believe if you use the previos version of MM you can export to excell and then filter your waypoints before importing back in. I know that HighlandNick has asked a similar question in the past maybe if you contact him he might be able to help you out !

If you want to manage waypoints use something like GSAK.

If you want to see maps with waypoints on a PC and on a PDA, I can confirm Fugawi works well.

Personally I use GSAK and then export in Fugawi format. Importing and exporting waypoints or tracks into Fugawi is a breeze. I use Fugawi for managing my tracks.

We dont use MemoryMap to manage waypoints - to manage all our waypoints we use a custom written Access database which takes in the GPX from our weekly autogenerated geocaching.com pocket Queries, updates itself. We then can pick and choose what we want to look at, generate a MFX file(s) to display inside MemoryMap and then we have decided which area / caches we are heading to we generate a GPX file to load to the GPS via ExpertGPS. Currently we use the original pocketQuery GPX file to load into Cachemate to put it on a Sony CLIE PDA. Plan is to enhance the GPX file coming out of access to have the detail in required by Cachemate. When we find a cache we update the waypoints in the GPS so that we get a time stamp, when we get home we dowload the waypoints as a GPX, pull that into access and it cross refs the caches and updates the ones we have found in its database, we then update our finds on geocaching.com and the loop is closed. We also upload the GPSs into MemMap to look at the tracks - Similar I guess to what we all do with tools like GSAK etc

The original Q re Fugawi was based around MemoryMaps waypoint handling ie you have previously been looking at some caches in say scotland, you open MemMap and it opens in the South of the UK, you "import" your GPX file or upload from your GPS and it merges the scottish and southern data - you have to remeber to do a delete all just before you start doing anything, just in case it has some old data around. Not a real problem, you just have to remeber to use it "unique" way of doing things

Thanks for all the answers, I decided to stay with MemoryMap and increase my map collection for it

Naefearjustbeer : The export to CVS facility in MemoryMap 2004 is "disabled" - I contacted MemMap and they said "that is part of the professional version, which is only available in the USA" - go figure why they still have it visible in the menu ...

I have Fugawi which I run on windows XP. I have never tried the other digital mapping products so I can't compare. Fugawi was the cheepest at the time I made my decision a few mopnths back and I am very pleased with its functionality.

The CD box specifies Windows 98 upwards but the manual includes Windows 95. I think on that basis, if it doesn't work, you have valid grounds for sending it back.

I'm looking to purchase some mapping software and I quite liked the look of the Fugawi stuff, but I'm only running on Windows '95 (i assume that's 1995, not 1895, but with me it might be a dangerous assumption to make !!!). Can anyone out there advise whether or not it will run on Windows '95 ?

The brochure on the Fugawi website

http://www.fugawi.com/docs/fugawiuk.html# says that it works ok on Win 95.

hth

MarkGPX

Hi there, new to the forums and looking for some advice.

I have a Garmin Legend, I have the Fugawi Software, but cannot seem ot get it to recognise my GPS.

I only ever get GPS : None.

the settings are WGS84 and NMEA/NMEA. But this doesnt seem to be working.

I know the GPS is transmitting as it i make the log active, there are NMEA sentences.

Any one any ideas ? or had a similar problem ?

Advice greatly appreciated.

Going off Memory Map and Fugawi, I use Anquet software and it does me just fine. It works with my Garmin 60cs perfect as I mainly use it for fell walking and the route transfer is amazingley accurate to the point of unreal for example the last walk I did was Mickle fell and the only way up is along the fenceline and over few streams to the cairn and it led me straight to it!

When I got home and uploaded my walk it even showed the snailtrail of me working out the stream negociations!

But you can put proximity alarms and emergency routes off the trail that you wish to work on and the usb update is the same engine as Etrail uses so my cash was not wasted when I sold my Vista.

At the end of the day it is down to preference and ease of use but Anquet is easy peasy for me and the software is not that expensive (if you don't want the full country) :D

Hi there, new to the forums and looking for some advice.

I have a Garmin Legend, I have the Fugawi Software, but cannot seem ot get it to recognise my GPS.

I only ever get GPS : None.

the settings are WGS84 and NMEA/NMEA. But this doesnt seem to be working.

I know the GPS is transmitting as it i make the log active, there are NMEA sentences.

Any one any ideas ? or had a similar problem ?

Advice greatly appreciated.

What have you got the model set to in Settings|GPS|Model|Model?

It needs to be Garmin PVT, not just Garmin.

And the Legend should be in Garmin mode in Setup|Interface.

Edited by The White Family