City Select Auto Routing

thcri

I got to go on my first trip today with my new CS. Last night I put in a small trip and then took it out to see if it would beep as I got to turns. Everything worked fine so I created a route for today's trip from my place to a place in Milwaukee. I had to actually start my trip from a different point than the original so when I got on the main road to Milwaukee I then turned on my GPS and activated the route. It really acted weird. Everytime I would come to an overpass the GPS would tell me to turn around, yep take the exit and then take two lefts which would put me back on the interstate going the wrong direction. At one overpass it showed me actually coming up to the interstate and I was to turn left to go the right direction? So what did I do wrong?

I finally had to tell it to stop navigating because the missed turn beeping was continous and I could not stop it.

murph

I tried it for the first time today, on the way home from work, and it worked great. I was really impressed with how well it routed and how easy it was to use. I didn't even have to look at the users manual to figure it out. I especially like the auto zoom in/out, the highlighting of turns, and the navigational text (like time, distance, which exit to take). The 60CS is great!

I tried it for the first time today, on the way home from work, and it worked great. I was really impressed with how well it routed and how easy it was to use. I didn't even have to look at the users manual to figure it out. I especially like the auto zoom in/out, the highlighting of turns, and the navigational text (like time, distance, which exit to take). The 60CS is great!

Did you let City Select do your autorouting or did you let your CS do it. I entered addresses for both ends when I did mine and on the map it showed the right route but for some reason when I hit the over/underpasses it wanted me to turn around.

I let City Select do the auto routing for me, maybe I should have let my GPS but I didn't have the waypoints to do that.

murph

Edited by thcri

Did you let City Select do your autorouting or did you let your CS do it. I entered addresses for both ends when I did mine and on the map it showed the right route but for some reason when I hit the over/underpasses it wanted me to turn around.

murph

I let the CS do it. I have not tried that yet with City Select.

thcri,

You are absolutely confusing me. If you are using the 60c(s) and you have city select 5.0+ (in North America), all you need is 1 waypoint, the final destination. Thats it. It builds the rest of the waypoints for you. Dont use city select., use the 60cs!

I would use the final waypoint if I had it. Alls I had was the address. I guess I could use City Selects address and then take the waypoint from it and load it in my GPS??

murph

Good question and the answer is the City Select map sets have all the auto routing information that the 60 uses to determine how to get you from your CURRENT location to the place or waypoint you want to get to. What you will find is that on a route that you know and use all the time the 60 will not necessarily take you the way you would choose to go. On the other hand if you are in an area that you know nothing about, the 60 autorouting is just fine... it will always get you there.

I notice that when I search for a address the only states that show up are the ones that I uploaded to my GPS from City Select. So if this is the case then City Select will be worth it especially when I travel a lot to large cities and end up in residential addresses.

murph

Each time you upload a new set of map areas to the 60 from Mapsource the old mapset in your GPS is erased and replaced by the new set. Once the map information is in your GPS you cannot selectively remove parts of that set. That is not a problem though since the new information you are loading is what you want to have available for getting around and, with USB, the transfer time is very quick.

Ok so if I go back and just add two or three regions, the two full states that I amy have in will be gone? Also what has happened to the original map set that came with the GPS then?

Also thank you for all of your help along with the others that have responded. I have had a GPS for a couple of years now but this CS really has a lot more things to do on it.

murph

Ok so if I go back and just add two or three regions, the two full states that I amy have in will be gone? Also what has happened to the original map set that came with the GPS then?

Also thank you for all of your help along with the others that have responded. I have had a GPS for a couple of years now but this CS really has a lot more things to do on it.

murph

I believe your answers are:

1. yes.

2. the original maps are still there, but the regions from City Select that you loaded will take priority over the original "basemap". The basemap will be used for any areas that you don't have City Select installed.

Ok so if I go back and just add two or three regions, the two full states that I amy have in will be gone?  Also what has happened to the original map set that came with the GPS then?

Also thank you for all of your help along with the others that have responded.  I have had a GPS for a couple of years now but this CS really has a lot more things to do on it.

murph

I believe your answers are:

1. yes.

2. the original maps are still there, but the regions from City Select that you loaded will take priority over the original "basemap". The basemap will be used for any areas that you don't have City Select installed.

Again, you have been most helpful and I thank you. Thank you for your patience.

murph

just make sure your routing data of City Select gets uploaded as well by clicking the button in the lower left of mapsource on the map tab I think. Also the other day, my 60C was giving me a screwy route, and I was ticked.. Thats when I noticed I had it on topo. After switching off topo and back to cs it routed normally. I breathed a sigh of relief then ;)

I went into City Select and picked several maps I wanted on my 60c for the first run. After I picked them and loaded to 60c, I did a "Save As" and named it "Maps1" on my PC.

So next time I wanted to load a few new regions but wanted to keep the old on the 60c I simply went into City Select, opened "Maps1" (the saved file) and then proceeded to open the new regions. I hit the save tab (saved to Maps1) and loaded them into the 60c again.

So now my 60c has all the maps I have ever wanted to load from day one. If next time I want to delete one region and add another, I'll open "Maps1" and delete the regions I don't want, add the new regions, save it, and then load it.

This works great for me but I would be curious to find out if there is another way- I am a bit new to all this.

btw- I also have a saved "Tracks1", "waypoints1" and "routes1" files and do more or less the exact same thing wiith them.

I am trying to figure out a way to get my tracks from ExpertGPS to my 60CS without buying the serial cable. I used easymps to get the waypoints to Mapsource and then on to my GPS but it did not take the tracks with it. So I guess I will have to break down and buy the cable.

Any good ideas on a cheap place to get a cable. I know ExpertGPS is being redesigned but I should buy a cheap cable for the mean time.

Murph

ExpertGPS has been updated to support the Garmin GPSMAP 60C/S

CLICK HERE

Expertgps has been upgraded to support the 60 series as far as icons and some other items. However, it still does not support the USB cable. You will find this in another post also. So I did order a cable from GPSgeek today and should be recieving in a few days.

murph

I got to go on my first trip today with my new CS. Last night I put in a small trip and then took it out to see if it would beep as I got to turns. Everything worked fine so I created a route for today's trip from my place to a place in Milwaukee. I had to actually start my trip from a different point than the original so when I got on the main road to Milwaukee I then turned on my GPS and activated the route. It really acted weird. Everytime I would come to an overpass the GPS would tell me to turn around, yep take the exit and then take two lefts which would put me back on the interstate going the wrong direction. At one overpass it showed me actually coming up to the interstate and I was to turn left to go the right direction? So what did I do wrong?

I finally had to tell it to stop navigating because the missed turn beeping was continous and I could not stop it.

murph

It kept telling you to turn around because you had set a route and then activated it after you got onto the highway. The GPS was simply doing its job and telling you that you had to turn around in order to get to the first waypoint on your programmed route. You skipped the first point according to what you stated.

I got to go on my first trip today with my new CS.  Last night I put in a small trip and then took it out to see if it would beep as I got to turns.  Everything worked fine so I created a route for today's trip from my place to a place in Milwaukee.  I had to actually start my trip from a different point than the original so when I got on the main road to Milwaukee I then turned on my GPS and activated the route.  It really acted weird.  Everytime I would come to an overpass the GPS would tell me to turn around, yep take the exit and then take two lefts which would put me back on the interstate going the wrong direction.  At one overpass it showed me actually coming up to the interstate and I was to turn left to go the right direction?  So what did I do wrong?

murph

It kept telling you to turn around because you had set a route and then activated it after you got onto the highway. The GPS was simply doing its job and telling you that you had to turn around in order to get to the first waypoint on your programmed route. You skipped the first point according to what you stated.

That does make sense. I have since learned that it is easier to just make an ending waypoint and let my GPS do the routing instead of City Select. It just makes it easier and then I can turn it off and back on so easy. So now I just look up the address and make a waypoint out of it and then it is there easy to find and I can calculate it on a moments notice.

murph