Old Topic

I have the Tracks Sherlock Walking Staff for $49 and have used it extensively. I think I would like to have two poles, but think the 2nd one would get in the way too much as I also bring my dog with me and have to keep him under leash control sometimes.

I like the fact I can make it long enough for the downhill hikes where the incline is relatively steep so it will help slow me down and it is sturdy enough to allow me to lean into it when I'm having to handle a big step down.

It collapses short enough to act as a walking cane in a pinch and the knob comes off to attach a camera to it. The spike is long enough to stab into sturdy soil and let it act as a free-standing monopod.

I'm kind of curious about a single pole. I am looking at the Tracks Sherlock, and this one.

travel16.jpg

Here are the specs:

Model # TK2091-04  *  Sierra Antishock  *

Features: Wood Knob with Foam Grip, ELS, SAS, Buckle Strap, 3-section adjustable, Rubber Tip, Carbide Flextip, Remove knob to expose camera mount Weight-11.2 oz. each / Adjust from 75-145 cm

Suggested Retail: USA $74.95 each.(USD)/ Canada $119.95 (CD)

You like your Sherlock a lot? I definitely want something very sturdy. Do you like the spike tip? I know some other ones, like the Leki's have the Carbide tip, which can be very grippy on rock surfaces (which would be good). How is the Sherlocks?

Thanks!

After looking at that, I recommend you go to www.sierratradingpost.com and save yourself $40-$50 for the same, or similar trekking poles.

Anyway, anti-shock is nice as long as you can turn it off. If you're on really rugged terrain, you don't want the spongy feel of an anti-shock pole, but it's nice the rest of the time.

Do you want a pair of trekking poles, or a hiking staff? I find the pair useful when hiking in snow, or over wet rocks, or very steep, or rugged terrain. Two poles make things easy on the knees and there is always one left, shold you lose one, as I've done at times. They also double as showshoeing poles.

Some of the single staffs (like the Leki Sierra) have camera mounts in the handle, but I prefer to bring along a lightweight Upltrapod because it's more versatile, so that would be of no use to me. Maybe it would be to you though. The Sierra does have the the blunt tip, as opposed to the pointy tip of some of the others. This is more comfortable on rocks, or if you're doing some urban walking, but it doesn't hold quite as well on rocks. Also, some "environmentalists" with too much time on their hands have been railing about trekking poles scratching rocks (oh, the horror!). The Sierra won't do this because of its tip design. It also won't sink into muddy or soft ground like the ones with sharp tips. This can be good, or bad. Sometimes you want the tip to sink in, to provide a stable platform on steep downhills. Other times it can be annoying because it gets stuck. They also sell rubber caps to cover the tips so they don't sink in, if this is a problem for you.

Edited by briansnat

I own the Leki Wanderfreund and have had exactly ZERO problems with it. It is collapsable, has a carbon tip, and is virtually indestructable. The L-shaped handle allows for several different gripping patterns depending on terrain, preference, etc. The only dig is that on extended hikes, 5 hours+ and in hot weather, (AT in GA in July) the handle gets saturated with sweat and needs time to dry out. Other than that, great buy.

I really only want one hiking staff because I don't hike all that often, and dont want both of my hands full. If there is no antishock, thats no problem either, which is why I would also consider the Tracks Sherlock. I was curious about the pointy tip and the sherlock, and thought if I got it, I would probably grind it down flat.

the Sierra Trading Post seems to be somewhat limited on selection. They only have Komperdell of Austria brand.

Wow.. all of those are cheap.. You can get a pair for the price you can buy one somewhere else. Does anyone know anything about that brand? Would you recomend them briansnat?

I think I like this one. They come in a pair, which I don't really care for, but the price is so cheap. Maybe I could sell one, or just hold onto one if I ever feel like using 2.

ULTRALITE ALL PURPOSE CONTOUR FOAM POLE

Hmmm... I just read some reviews on Komperdell, and they didn't do to well...

Edited by SBPhishy

Thanks a bunch to all that have responded so far. I really appreciate all the good advice. I guess I should clarify a couple of things.

1. I just want a single hiking staff. I don't have enough hands to carry two.

2. I have to buy it at REI because I have a credit there.

Given those parameters, does anyone have any advice on the poles that REI shows on their website.

Thanks in advance,

Rocket Man

I prefer it because:

1. The many grips you can achieve with the handle. (Over, under, heck you name and you can do it for any person;s comfort level and grip preference.)

2. The grip makes a hook at the end which I must say can be quite useful for retrieving bear bags or the odd piece of equipment floating down the river.

Is the antishock feature important. I see that the Leki Sierra has the antishock feature and the Leki Wanderfreund (That REI carries) does not.

Super important, no, but it is a nice feature.

Won't ski poles work as well as hiking poles?

They sure can, as can broom sticks, hockey sticks, bamboo poles and a lot of other things. The advantage trekking poles have is that they are adjustable. You can shorten them for steep uphills, or make them longer for downhills. They also collapse and fit in your pack when you're not using them, like during steep rock scrambles. Finally, they fit nicely in your suitcase when you are travelling.

Thanks for all the advice. I made up my mind. Well kind of. Well not really.

I ordered both the Leki Sierra and the Leki Wanderfreund. Now I can use the one that I end up liking the most and have the other one as a backup. That about sucked up my REI credit plus a little extra. RM

Haha.... when you can't decide, just buy both!

I haven't made up my mind yet, so you can all keep giving me advice!

I have now changed my mind, and I want a pair of trekking poles. I talked to a friend who hikes often with one pole, and he is said he is going to switch to 2 in the very near future. Any suggestions, or personal experiences?

Thanks!

I have now changed my mind, and I want a pair of trekking poles. I talked to a friend who hikes often with one pole, and he is said he is going to switch to 2 in the very near future. Any suggestions, or personal experiences?

I started using one pole a few years ago. My wife refused to...but one day, when it was slippery she gave in. used one and decided she liked it. Early this winter, in the snow (not deep enough for snowshoes, but deep enough to making hiking difficult), I brought two poles along and my wife took one. Along the way, she was slipping and sliding, so being the nice hubby, I gave her my extra pole. She really liked it and now uses two all the time. I went back to one once the snow melted, but I can see myself getting used to two poles easily. The wife likes the upper body workout the poles give, even when hiking on flat terrain...kind of like a Nordic Trak and they are very helpful during stream crossings and on steep slopes.

They only have Komperdell of Austria brand.

Wow.. all of those are cheap.. You can get a pair for the price you can buy one somewhere else. Does anyone know anything about that brand? Would you recomend them briansnat?

Komperdell are the only poles I've used and they work just fine. I've had no problems with them, so yes, I'd recommend them.

Edited by briansnat
I'm kind of curious about a single pole. I am looking at the Tracks Sherlock, and this one.

travel16.jpg

Here are the specs:

Model # TK2091-04  *  Sierra Antishock  *

Features: Wood Knob with Foam Grip, ELS, SAS, Buckle Strap, 3-section adjustable, Rubber Tip, Carbide Flextip, Remove knob to expose camera mount Weight-11.2 oz. each / Adjust from 75-145 cm

Suggested Retail: USA $74.95 each.(USD)/ Canada $119.95 (CD)

You like your Sherlock a lot? I definitely want something very sturdy. Do you like the spike tip? I know some other ones, like the Leki's have the Carbide tip, which can be very grippy on rock surfaces (which would be good). How is the Sherlocks?

Thanks!

I do like it a lot. It is quite sturdy and it adjusts quickly and easily with a springloaded thumb lock that doesn't release under stress (my biggest fear). The downside is it doesn't collapse smaller than a walking cane size.

It comes with a small rubber-tipped end that can screw off for the spike as well as a snowfoot. I use the rubber tip when I'm in a very rocky area then go to the spike when I'm on soft soil inclines. I haven't had cause to use the snow foot yet.

I thought about going to the Antishock but hadn't had a chance to test it out before I bought the one I did. I played with an antishock in REI and it seems pretty cool, but honestly, I don't notice too much feedback when I hit the spike against the rocks. In fact, I think I prefer not having the antishock so that I know I have a solid footing or not.

the Sierra Trading Post seems to be somewhat limited on selection.  They only have Komperdell of Austria brand. 

Wow.. all of those are cheap.. You can get a pair for the price you can buy one somewhere else.  Does anyone know anything about that brand? 

We ordered 2 pair of the Komperdell poles to use when we might travel. I really did not want to give up my old wooded stick but...after trying it I would not go back to that heavier stick.

We carry only one each.

Those from Sierra are cheap enough that if the gave any problem you could easily afford another set. BTW we have had no problem at all with them.

I realize that you specified REI, however...

My regular staff is a former beaver-chewed branch which I covered in polyurethane and installed a brass tip. Cost to me: about $2.

I just bought a new collapseable one at Target. They had three different models. I bought the best for about $25.

You could still get other loot at REI. :rolleyes:

I just found a good price ($35.00 plus shipping) for the Leki Wonderfreund at Northern Mountain Supply located in Eureka, CA. They charge $10.00 for 3-day FedEx shipping on orders under $50.00.

Before I ordered I looked at this pole at a local retailer and I do like the grip on this. Since I have a bad knee, I can also use this as a cane if necessary.

I will give this a good test on some local hills where caches are located and may update this after that.

Edited by ErnieD1125

Since this thread has been bumped, I might as well add my thoughts on the Sierra.

After going to many stores and trying out all the different types, including the Wanderfreud, I decided on the Sierra. I like it a lot. It's very strong, and has been nice to have on long hikes. The tip is great, and grips on everything.

Overall, I'd recommend it.