Clearing Uploaded Maps-magellan Sportrak Map

Troutbum2

I'm a bit of a newbie. I received a Magellan SporTrak Map GPS unit for Christmas, and have really enjoyed it. I was recently given the MapSend Topo for the United States (older version 3.00a). I've uploaded a few regions onto my GPS unit, and would now like to clear them so that I can upload others. I just can't figure out how to clear them from memory. I searched the FAQ section of Magellan's website, but their explanation doesn't appear to apply to the SporTrak Map...at least I don't have the options they describe on their website when I push the "menu" button. I tried clearing all of the memory on my GPS unit, but the maps I've uploaded remained in memory even after I did that. Thanks for any help you can offer.

So, how do you control which maps get dropped out of memory as you upload additional ones? It seems like there may be certain regions I've uploaded I'd like to remain on my GPS, while others I would like to delete so I can free up more memory to upload others. There must be someway to do that I would think.

Turns out there is a way to preserve certain regions. When you create regions with the Topo program on the computer, it saves them in a list on the right side of the screen...kind of like a spreadsheet. Then, you "check" which ones to upload. If you keep previously uploaded regions saved in that list and keep those "checked" as well as you upload additional regions, then they won't be deleted from the GPS memory. So, you can leave the regions you don't care about "unchecked", and if necessary they will get dropped out of memory in order to make room for new regions. If there still isn't enough room for the new regions you're trying to upload, then the program will tell you, and you have to "uncheck" additional regions. Hope that helps some of you...I know it certainly did me. Thanks.

Turns out there is a way to preserve certain regions. When you create regions with the Topo program on the computer, it saves them in a list on the right side of the screen...kind of like a spreadsheet. Then, you "check" which ones to upload. If you keep previously uploaded regions saved in that list and keep those "checked" as well as you upload additional regions, then they won't be deleted from the GPS memory. So, you can leave the regions you don't care about "unchecked", and if necessary they will get dropped out of memory in order to make room for new regions. If there still isn't enough room for the new regions you're trying to upload, then the program will tell you, and you have to "uncheck" additional regions. Hope that helps some of you...I know it certainly did me. Thanks.

They are being deleted. Like I said above, you have to reload the regions that you want to keep. That is what you have done. :rolleyes:B)

Warriorrider....Yeah, I guess that is in essence what you said as well. I just didn't understand that those regions would be saved in the spreadsheet on the computer. I didn't mean to indicate you hadn't helped....I guess I just didn't understand that was what you meant. Sorry. :rolleyes:

Warriorrider....Yeah, I guess that is in essence what you said as well. I just didn't understand that those regions would be saved in the spreadsheet on the computer. I didn't mean to indicate you hadn't helped....I guess I just didn't understand that was what you meant. Sorry. :rolleyes:

No, no that's ok. Yeah, they are saved in your Docs folder in case you ever need them again or need to reference them. No apology neccesary... I just wanted to make sure you understood B)B)

I just got a copy of Mapsend Topo, thanks to the phish, and I would like to know if I need easy gps anymore? It seems to me that mapsend is doing the same things and maybe more.

You will probably want to keep EasyGPS so that you can download the waypoints from GC.com too. Then upload to your GPS.

Hi blocko1000. I wondered the same thing, then I played around a bit. I found EasyGPS to be easier to use and that it runs faster for simply up/downloading waypoints. Also, MapSend Topo wipes out any waypoints on the GPSr when you upload. EasyGPS doesn't. So I stick with EasyGPS for waypoints and routes and only use Topo when I want to load in some detail maps.

Hi blocko1000. I wondered the same thing, then I played around a bit. I found EasyGPS to be easier to use and that it runs faster for simply up/downloading waypoints. Also, MapSend Topo wipes out any waypoints on the GPSr when you upload. EasyGPS doesn't. So I stick with EasyGPS for waypoints and routes and only use Topo when I want to load in some detail maps.

Another newbie question, but what is "GPSr"? Thanks.

That's been my experience and it is documented - I think in the Topo help - that uploading new waypoints will erase all waypoints on the device just like it does with the maps. Apparently the programmers did not want to take the time to code for preserving data that exists in the devices memory.

BUt come to think of it, I did not test if uploading a new map or waypoints will wipe out the other. That'd be something worth checking out!

Edited by kiltedcacher

RATS! - my bad! I just re-read your post! I know loading maps will wipe out previously loaded maps and uploading waypoints will wipe out previously loaded waypoints.

I DO NOT, however, know if loading maps or waypoints will wipe out the other. I have not tested that, but it sure needs to be checked out.

This is easily enough done - just load a small map and 1 waypoint, check they are there ok, then load up a a different waypoint and see whats left. Then load up a different map and see whats left. I don't know when I'll be able to test this, so if you can do it before me, I'd sure appreciate it if you would post your results!

Sorry for the confusion.

To delete a map in a SporTrak Map[1]:

Menu button -> Map Utilities -> Change Map -> Detail Map -> Set to "Detail Map Off" -> Save

Menu button -> Map Utilities -> Delete Map -> Select detail map file, and select 'Yes' on the confirmation screen.

I've maxed out waypoints, and it hasn't affected maps at all. I believe that they are stored in separate memory areas.

1) This is a new unit running firmware version 5.00

Edited by CompassCollector
No...that's actually what I meant. I was wondering if loading additional waypoints would wipeout previously loaded ones just like it does with maps. Thanks.

Yes, if you load additional waypoints from MapSend it will wipe out the waypoints in active memory. I believe it's a MapSend only issue. I know that when I load additional waypoints from EasyGPS or NG Topo it will not wipe them out.

To delete a map in a SporTrak Map[1]:

Menu button -> Map Utilities -> Change Map -> Detail Map -> Set to "Detail Map Off" -> Save

Menu button -> Map Utilities -> Delete Map -> Select detail map file, and select 'Yes' on the confirmation screen.

I've maxed out waypoints, and it hasn't affected maps at all. I believe that they are stored in separate memory areas.

1) This is a new unit running firmware version 5.00

Yeah...those are the instructions from Magellan's website. Problem is that when I push the "Menu" button on my GPS, I don't have a "Map Utilities" option. Perhaps it's because I'm running an older version of MapSend Topo.

Actually, I think you do have the "map utilities" option on the menu screen, it just isn't visible when you first push menu because there are more options that there is room on the screen for. After you hit menu, scroll down (or up, it gets there quicker). Map utilities is way at the bottom. At least that's how it is on my ST Pro.

Hey there!

I'm a noob that used his tax return to buy a Meridian Gold. My wife still thinks I'm nuts but admits that this geocaching thing might be kinda fun. :lol:

To my surprise when I got this GPSr from a private individual on Ebay it included Topo AS WELL as the advertised MapSend Direct. This was not mentioned anywhere in the auction. I was overjoyed as I got the unit to use for street level directions as well as keeping me from getting lost when 'wheeling in the forest. :o

Anyway, to my question...

I'd like to load a detailed region from MapSend direct to use for my daily driving, address lookup, etc then switch to the Topo when leaving the pavement. I've yet to figure out how to get both to load on the SD card. I don't have an SD reader...can it be done without one? It seems that when I load a map it removes the previously installed map, as indicated in this thread.

Thanks for the info!

Matt

P.S. Gonna try our first cache Saturday! :lol:

Anyway, to my question...

I'd like to load a detailed region from MapSend direct to use for my daily driving, address lookup, etc then switch to the Topo when leaving the pavement. I've yet to figure out how to get both to load on the SD card. I don't have an SD reader...can it be done without one? It seems that when I load a map it removes the previously installed map, as indicated in this thread.

Thanks for the info!

Matt

P.S. Gonna try our first cache Saturday! :lol:

Hi MJinFL,

You will have to get a card reader to put both maps on your SD card. Then you will be able to switch between them at will. After you get a card reader you can go Here to roberlipe's site and get the information that you will need to upload more than one map onto an SD card. Look in the Magellan Yahoo Group Magellan Meridian FAQ part of the site for the instructions.

Congratulations on your new purchase and good luck on your first cache find :o .

Are you on the map navigatiopn screen when you press the menu button the first time? The menu system is somewhat context sensitive. It gives you menus based on what navigation screen you are starting from.
Actually, I think you do have the "map utilities" option on the menu screen, it just isn't visible when you first push menu because there are more options that there is room on the screen for. After you hit menu, scroll down (or up, it gets there quicker). Map utilities is way at the bottom. At least that's how it is on my ST Pro.

Kiltedcacher and 4x4van...thanks for your posts, but yes, I have tried those things. Near as I can tell, "Map Utilities" isn't an option on the SporTrak Map GPSr. I e-mailed Magellan asking them to clarify the FAQ section of their website, but they haven't replied yet.

Are you on the map navigatiopn screen when you press the menu button the first time? The menu system is somewhat context sensitive. It gives you menus based on what navigation screen you are starting from.

Kiltedcacher and 4x4van...thanks for your posts, but yes, I have tried those things. Near as I can tell, "Map Utilities" isn't an option on the SporTrak Map GPSr. I e-mailed Magellan asking them to clarify the FAQ section of their website, but they haven't replied yet.

On my ST Map with 5.00 installed, the 'Map Utilities' is not on the first screen, you have to scroll up in order to see it.

You might want to see if the Magellan website has the 5.00 firmware upgrade downloadable.

Troutbum2, when you press menu, the next thing that comes up is a list of options, right? Scroll all the way to the bottom of those options and then continue scrolling...what happens? More options should come into view, and eventually, Map Utilities.

On my ST Pro, "map utilities" is an available option by pressing "menu" from any screen. But on some screens it's visible reight away, while on other screens it's not visible till you scroll all the way to the bottom and then continue scrolling so more options come into view (Or just scroll up so that it jumps to the bottom of the options). BTW, I, too am using 5.00 firmware, in case that makes a difference, although I doubt it.

Again, thanks for your input, but yes....I have scrolled down. I realize there are more options than what you first see, and I've scrolled down through the end of all the options to the point that the list starts over at the top again. I've gone through and tried pushing menu not only from the map screen, but from EVERY navigational screen, and I cannot find a "map utilities" option. The only thing I can figure is that it is due to the fact I'm running a much older version of MapSend Topo. As suggested, perhaps I can download an upgrade.

You will have to get a card reader to put both maps on your SD card. Then you will be able to switch between them at will. After you get a card reader you can go Here to roberlipe's site and get the information that you will need to upload more than one map onto an SD card. Look in the Magellan Yahoo Group Magellan Meridian FAQ part of the site for the instructions.

Congratulations on your new purchase and good luck on your first cache find :o .

You can also get a separate SD card if your maps tend to be large, then switch them out. A bit of a pain, but just another option. :)