Waypoints

camnpete

You can download coordinates directly from your computer to your GPS if you have a compatible cable. I'll let someone who's familiar with the process answer that for you. In the most basic mode, you can enter the coordinates to the GPS by selecting WAYPOINTS > MARK A WAYPOINT, then you basically toggle through the areas and change the name of the waypoint from 001, etc. to CACHE or CAR. Then you toggle through to the coordinates and change the coordinates to match the cache location, save your changes and hit GO TO.

Hi,

I'm just beginning to learn about geocaching and I've bought a Garmin etrex GPSR. When I look at various caches to try to find, some say something like 'use waypoint GCH12G'.

How do I load this into my GPSR? Do I have to load all of the coordinates instead?

Thanks,

Pete

What E-trex did you get. If you have your computer cable you can download them directly without manually feeding them in your E-trex. Makes it a lot easier.

murph

I just bought the cheap, yellow eTrex this morning, and took my two girls (ages 6 and 8) on our first hunt.

The manual for the eTrex claims that you can get your current coordinates on the navigation screen, but the only way I could display them was to repeatedly hit "save waypoint", look at the coordinates, hit the PAGE button after a few feet and hit "save waypoint" again.

Can someone with this GPS help me?

I don't have the Garmin Etrx, but it sounds like you need to change the display you are looking at. In the manual, there should be a button that says something like display or view. That may switch you to a different screen.

Sorry I can't be any more help, but I've got a Magellan, so don't know Garmin's buttons.

F_M

I just bought the cheap, yellow eTrex this morning, and took my two girls (ages 6 and 8) on our first hunt.

The manual for the eTrex claims that you can get your current coordinates on the navigation screen, but the only way I could display them was to repeatedly hit "save waypoint", look at the coordinates, hit the PAGE button after a few feet and hit "save waypoint" again.

The navigation screen is the one with the satellites on it. Your location should be on the bottom of the screen on that page.

To find your current co-ords with a Etrex yellow, you need to be on the Pointer page. If you look at the bottom of the screen you will see a small box, using the toggle buttons top left of the etrex you can toggle thu different displays in the box. One of the is location, this is your current location.The others are"Elevation, Bearing, Heading, Max Speed, AVERAGE Speed, Trip Odometer, Trip Time, Sunset, Sunrise. You have to scroll thru them to get to the display you want. Hope this helps, Dave

I finally figured out that changing the display at the bottom of the Pointer page requires using the UP/DOWN buttons without using ENTER and the menus... D'oh!

I found all of the options you mentioned, M.P. Thanks for the help everyone!

Now back to find the cache I couldn't find earlier before it gets dark.

My son has one. I think that you get to the nav. page and then scrool up or down to view the present coordinates.