GPS Units

texastracker

Hello all...I'm very new to this so bear with me. Went on my first cache hunt last weekend with a friend. I think you got me hooked! I need some sound advice (as a beginner) on a good reliable gps unit to buy. I would like to keep it close to $100.00 and wasn't really wanting something used. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Much as I dislike it, I must tell you

that it is not worth considering anything

else than Garmin and Magellan units.

At about US$ 100, the Garmin choices are

the new Gekos (101 and 201) and the basic

(yellow) Etrex.

I am less familiar with Magellan units,

but I know that the Magellan 315 is a good

choice.

Please reserve a few minutes to decide on

whether you want a computer cable or not.

IMHO it is the single most important

accessory for a GPS, and a few units

(most notably the Magellan 310, which I

believe to be discontinued, and the

new Geko 101) do not accept one.

It is also worth mentioning that the Etrex

(the basic model, anyway) is about to be

discontinued, as is (I think) the Magellan

315. If you are considering reselling

your first GPS, this may be a factor.

Best,

Luis.

I have purchased the basic etrex yellow. I have

found as a basic unit, you really cannot go wrong. I paid=Price $110.00, I think you can get a little cheaper.

#1 It is light for geo-treking or just carrying in your pocket.

#2 It does not do alot but get you there. So it

does not use alot of batteries.

#3 Can be used as a back-up later, in the event

you would like to get a more powerful unit.

#4 Now comes in CAMO.

#5 Very easy unit to learn

I have used a PLGR in the military, and I am surprised how well and how cheap this

technology can be utilized by all. ETREX beats the PLGR for usability and it is accurate enough.

And what does the military pay for thier units?

$1,000 or maybe $2,000. Once SA was lifted, all

the civilian units are very accurate to within

50 feet.

my two cents worth,

psyopwak

quote:
Originally posted by DeerChaser & Poni:

Do yourself a favor and take a look at the Magellan Meridian GPS at http://www.outpost.com. For $119 you get a lot more for the money (mapping). You can add all the memory you want. Both Garmin and Magellan are good units.

I'll second the above and add that it is WAAS enabled and includes a PC cable.

I couldn't find it on outpost the last time I looked, however. If you have a Fry's Electronics in your area, keep an eye on their sales. They run this one at US$99 now and then.

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

For cheap make sure you get a computer cable with it. If it doesn't come with one price it with the cable added. A slightly higher end untit might be cheaper than the cheaper untit with cable.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

I will second this suggestion. I highly recommend the Venture. It has all the advantages of the Yellow E-Trex, but adds longer waypoint names, longer track names, double the legs per track, a better display, is WAAS enabled, has some minimal mapping, and comes with the PC cable. I think it is the best bang for the $$$.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

quote:
I highly recommend the Venture. It has all the advantages of the Yellow E-Trex

Except for two - it does not have such a

easy-to-spot color, nor does it match the

battery consumption of the basic Etrex.

Not that these are necessarily significant

drawbacks, mind you. But they do exist.

quote:
Originally posted by olavodantas:

quote:
I highly recommend the Venture. It has all the advantages of the Yellow E-Trex

Except for two - it does not have such a

easy-to-spot color, nor does it match the

battery consumption of the basic Etrex.

Not that these are necessarily significant

drawbacks, mind you. But they do exist.

You are 1/2 correct. The color. As for battery consumption, they both are 140 ma as measured on a NIST tracable fluke at work. As you said, whats in a color???

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

I personally tried a garmin etrex (yellow) and the SUMMIT and... both are ok but... after some time I got fed up with the small display! So I got a Garmin GPS 12 with a bigger display so that I was able to read more informations at once.

Be sure that your future device will have a PAN function, which allows you to scroll the track you already made. (etrex yellow and summit didn't have that !)

Today I own a Garmin GPS 76Map S, great device since it has a built in compass and digital maps. But... digital maps are quite useless when you have traditional (paper)maps, and modern devices have a smaller battery life (in worst case mine only lasts 10 hours !!!!)

And to end, I just like to explain why I only bought Garmin devices : Since I live in Luxembourg, and we have a special topographic-map system (splendid idea) , Garmin was the only one who developed a formula that you could program in your GPS to make it work with these maps.

donate_blood_md_wht.gif

hello

Other useful accessories are a power cable to plug it into the lighter in your car and a couple of sets of rechargable batteries (if it takes AA size) and a battery charger. I also like having a dash mount so the thing doesn't end up rattling all over the place. As you can tell, a lot of the caches around here are out in the woods and I like to do a lot of 4-wheeling.

Magellan Meridian

This unit is on sale this week at Fry's stores for $99.99. It is a full featured GPSr that has mapping capability, and comes with a computer cable. No other GPSr at this price comes close to the features and value you will get with the Meridian.

The Meridian series will measure in feet up to 500 feet, then it breaks into tenths of a mile.

Magellan just came out with an adapter that will hook to your serial cable and then go to the USB port. My understanding is you have to load the drivers on the accompanying CD to make this configuration work.

Cheers!

TL

I can't remember exactly where I found it, but if you need a copy of the form for the $50 rebate I put one here: rebate

The form says Meridian GPS which I understand to be the base model.

I bought my Merigreen from Fry's Electronics for US$99. I ordered mapsend topo through amazon and I plan on mailing in the rebate just as soon as I receive it. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by devilsbox:

I am new to geocaching and would like to ask a followup question. Do any of the units us USB to hook up to the computer or do they all make use of a serial cable?

Larry Warrn

I have a Meridian Gold GPS and have had success in using "Larry's USB to Serial Adaptor" Cable to connect my GPS to my laptop. The only tweek I had to make after installation of the driver was to change the default Comm Port assignment. You can read about it at http://pfranc.com/usb/usb.shtml.

The Garman eTrax Legend.

<----- is 225.00. But right now you can get a 50 dollar gift certificate on it. This puts it in the "under two hundred dollar" range.

I just bought mine a few days ago. That same day in the morning, I bought a Garmin Geko 201 (about 140 dollars.) it has some nice features but no map. I decided about an hour later that I might as well spend the extra 40 dollars and get the map functionality. I am so glad I did. This little GPS is great! My best friend has the Magellan Meridian Platinum (I think thats what it is called) and it cost over 300 dollars. Mine seems to do everything that his does, and is more portable. Hope this helps.

Also, I noticed people complain about the display on the eTrex being smaller than the Meridian. It is, but the resolution is soooo much higher that it actually displays more information. (This is from my own side by side comparison of the map details zoomed out on each unit by .8 miles).

quote:
Originally posted by devilsbox:

I am new to geocaching and would like to ask a followup question. Do any of the units us USB to hook up to the computer or do they all make use of a serial cable?

Larry Warrn

My Garmin vista came with a serial cable. I'm able to use it with a usb to serial adapter.

DENNIS