60c Backlight Isn't Working

Just the latest in a pile full of niggles.

I turned my 60C on this morning to refresh my memory on the issues I have with the screen protectors (for the scratched screen thread, of course), and when I turned on the backlight, the light didn't come on. It _says_ it's on, but of course, it's not.

Batteries are full. I even swapped them out with another set (not rechargables) to make sure it wasn't a battery issue.

Still nothing.

Suggestions much appreciated because this isn't going to fly. I'm going night caching tomorrow... and truthfully, I use the backlight quite a lot just as a standard course of action (it's usually very overcast here).

Thanks for any thoughts and ideas.

-=-

michelle

What else have you tried? The obvious thought is that you have the backlight set to off in the setup. If that is the case and you want it on, you can briefly press the power button and a slide will show up that you can change with the rocker switch. If you do that then it will retain that level setting as long as the 60c is on. If it goes off just hit the rocker switch when you need it and it will come back on. Other than that I don't see anything obvious.

Thanks WeightMan, and thcri -

In settings, I have the backlight set to ON and to never turn off once it's been turned on. I then control the light with the power button maneuver at the top. On press pulls up the menu - another press turns it up to half power - another press turns it up to full power. It is always used at full power. (Settings/use is the same as it has been for months with my V - i.e. it's not a n00b issue... there's something wrong with the unit!)

It's worked flawlessly until today. I was using it two days ago (at my desk to download saved tracks) at which point the light worked. Yesterday I didn't use it at all (sat on the desk) and then today proceeded as outlined above.

Very Frustrating!

I'll call Garmin in a bit, but wanted to see if anyone had an brilliance to shine on the issue first.

THANKS!

-=-

michelle

Yeah - it really looks like it thinks it's doing the right thing, only the light isn't coming on.

I'm on hold with Garmin as I type, so we'll see what they have to say. I'm inclined to send it in for repair, as this unit is tied to my Mapsource numbers and getting new numbers is really quite a PITA when you have to call Garmin to get them to generate a new set for you.

We'll see what they do.

Like I said, I have my V, so it's not like I'll be w/o a GPSr for any length of time.

More later!

-=-

michelle

Update:

Garmin - they're just so pleasant on the phone. This is the 2nd time I've called them in regard to this unit. (The first call was due to some Mapsource issues and they were beyond helpful during that call as well!)

As I was talking to them on the phone, I was playing with the light button again, and noticed that the light DID come on.

What I had done was had the backlight switched to the fully upright/on position and when it was NOT working, I'd grabbed the GPSr between my thumb (which was on the screen) and rest of my hand (behind the unit) and had pressed on the screen with my thumb.

With that pressure on the screen, the light came on.

Now the light comes on when I do the button presses, but I can get it to turn off by squeezing the machine.

Hmmm.

Sending it in today.

-=-

michelle